Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have finished 270 miles on my 959 and wanted to go on a long ride today. Before starting i thought that it might be a good idea to check the engine oil level through the site glass.

To my shock, there was no oil visible through the site glass. It was completely empty. Then i thought that if I start the motorcycle then atleast get the engine oil warning light should come up. But to my suprise after starting the engine, the engine oil light disappeared after 3 or 4 secs like every other normal start. I let the engine run for 2 mins.

Then I again checked the oil level through the site glass and still no sign of oil.

So wanted to check with you guys, is this is a normal situation or should I get it checked out at the dealer ?

IMG-20160530-WA0000.jpg

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Get it checked... you should see the level at the Minimum Line, at the very least - between Min and Max lines is normal

Have you read the Owners Manual?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get it checked... you should see the level at the Minimum Line, at the very least - between Min and Max lines is normal

Have you read the Owners Manual?
I have read the owners manual and that's why was worried why the oil level was not above minimum....i assumed that the dealer would have put the engine oil before the delivery and that'w why didnt bother to check untill now...

Do u think dealer would have forgot to put the oil ?? and if that's the case....why did the check engine light didnt come up till now ??

Any ideas...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have read the owners manual and that's why was worried why the oil level was not above minimum....i assumed that the dealer would have put the engine oil before the delivery and that'w why didnt bother to check untill now...

Do u think dealer would have forgot to put the oil ?? and if that's the case....why did the check engine light didnt come up till now ??

Any ideas...
This may be obvious but are you holding the bike up and level when checking. If it's on the side stand you won't see any oil

·
Registered
82 Posts
This may be obvious but are you holding the bike up and level when checking. If it's on the side stand you won't see any oil
Just one of many reasons to invest in front and/or rear stands, if you can.

Reactions: Vromano2

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Just one of many reasons to invest in front and/or rear stands, if you can.
I have always found that the level will read a bit different than what it truly is while on front and rear stands due to the stands altering the horizontal plain. Usually reads slightly lower than it actually is. I always double check the level with out stands with the bike on level ground.

Reactions: Kruz

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I have always found that the level will read a bit different than what it truly is while on front and rear stands due to the stands altering the horizontal plain. Usually reads slightly lower than it actually is. I always double check the level with out stands with the bike on level ground.

Agreed, bike level on the ground is the correct way. It sounds like the dealer didn't put in enough oil in his bike, mine took 4.5 liters and is at the top line cold.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Agreed, bike level on the ground is the correct way. It sounds like the dealer didn't put in enough oil in his bike, mine took 4.5 liters and is at the top line cold.
The lack of the low oil warning light is a bit puzzling. The level must be right on the edge of tripping the sensor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys,

I went to the dealer today and asked him about the problem. And to my surprise when he checked the oil level it was between the minimum and maximum mark...towards the upper limit.

He then explained why I was not able to see the oil through the site glass when I was checking it.

1. I had checked the engine early morning before my first start. So the engine was cold.
2. Although I started the engine for 1 or 2 mins and allowed it to warm up and checked again, i had the motorcycle on side stand.

When the dealer checked the oil level, he had the bike leveled and then tilted slightly towards the right hand side.
He said that it takes some time for the oil to reach all parts of the engine after warmup and so normally its recommended to check oil level after the bike is properly warmed up and in a leveled position.

So this was a rookie mistake on my part checking the level while on side stand.

I still want to check the level when the engine is cold.

Thanks for the inputs guys....appreciate the help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Totally disagree. A center stand or a lift will keep the bike at a precise horizontal level and you don't have to muck around with balancing the bike. They cost about $250 for the best ones and you'll use them for everything. But, some people don't want to wrench on their bike or want to make things more difficult. Whatever floats your boat.

Reactions: um255

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Totally disagree. A center stand or a lift will keep the bike at a precise horizontal level and you don't have to muck around with balancing the bike. They cost about $250 for the best ones and you'll use them for everything. But, some people don't want to wrench on their bike or want to make things more difficult. Whatever floats your boat.

That 's not been my experience, my rear and front stands are not the same height and through the level off, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That 's not been my experience, my rear and front stands are not the same height and through the level off, your mileage may vary.
Yeah - I was talking about a small center stand or a lift, such as the Redline stands, but I take your point.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Oh OK, I don't have one of those stands.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
The Woodcraft stand I have is a small stand as well - I think the rear tire is 1.5-2" off the ground when up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts