Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to ask you guys something regarding engine working temperature.

When I start the engine, the temperature gauge shows LO, and it start showing the temperature after it reaches 40C (104F). until this point I dont do anything, I just wait. After that point, if I am hurried, I go, but very slowly, with very low revs, like, I dont go to 4k RPMs. After it reaches more or less 70C (158F) I start acelerating more, that is where the fun begins.

Am I being over carefull, or is it a good pratice?

Just for the record, I do exactly the same on cars.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Same here not riding until it reads 104. Im gentle up until the 130's generally then I will get on it pretty good, not to redline though. On the highway in fall wisconsin temps im lucky if it gets up to 150.

Reactions: Cotonete

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
As long as the engine has been running for some time, the temp really doesn't matter - what matters is the oil being moved around inside, and when it first starts up there's almost no oil covering the top of the motor. In a minute or so there's enough coverage to get going.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do that because I always thought it would be better to wait the engine oil get to the right temperature and also because of the engine parts expansion.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Am I being over carefull, or is it a good pratice?

Just for the record, I do exactly the same on cars.
I do basically what you do and I don't think you are being overly careful. I typically wait for 104F before riding. I keep the RPMs below 5k until it's warmer than 130F.

For my car, I wait at least 30 seconds after the engine starts before driving and I won't get it past 2.5k rpm until I think the engine is warm enough. In the dead cold of winter, I'm usually even more careful.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I always wait till its at 180, I mostly track the bike. At the track it is always running in high rpms and sometimes off the limiter. I also change the oil every 3-4 track days. In the fall or in the spring the bike wont get to 180 at idle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts