Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm actually an 899 owner but just wanted to ask a question.

How close is your back wheel to the exhaust (collector)?
I have just installed a 1299 full exhaust system onto my 899 to get the larger diameter headers. I believe the exhaust is the same as the one you people have, that is if you have retained the stock headers that it :)

Is everything pretty close to the wheel?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Hi I'm actually an 899 owner but just wanted to ask a question.

How close is your back wheel to the exhaust (collector)?
I have just installed a 1299 full exhaust system onto my 899 to get the larger diameter headers. I believe the exhaust is the same as the one you people have, that is if you have retained the stock headers that it :)

Is everything pretty close to the wheel?

Thank you
I guess you'd have to define "close". Do you have a measurement or a pic? What size tire are you running? My rear wheel is set a bit further back now due to the larger rear sprocket I'm running, but it's still fairly close in proximity to the rear tire. My 1199 is as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I guess you'd have to define "close". Do you have a measurement or a pic? What size tire are you running? My rear wheel is set a bit further back now due to the larger rear sprocket I'm running, but it's still fairly close in proximity to the rear tire. My 1199 is as well.
your rear wheel would be closer with a larger rear sprocket - unless you put on a longer chain
larger area for chain to go around = less distance between sprockets

but yeah it sits pretty close.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was a 190/55 and now just of yesterday a Dunlop D211 190/60 and sh*t it's big, I've just been trying different options to try and mimic the limited choice of the 180/60. No problems with electronics at this stage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Was a 190/55 and now just of yesterday a Dunlop D211 190/60 and sh*t it's big, I've just been trying different options to try and mimic the limited choice of the 180/60. No problems with electronics at this stage.
its 5mm, its not that big a deal the profile is higher down the centre, which should make turn in faster.

·
Registered
892 Posts
You mean this spacing?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
your rear wheel would be closer with a larger rear sprocket - unless you put on a longer chain
larger area for chain to go around = less distance between sprockets

but yeah it sits pretty close.
Yeah, it was part of a 520 conversion. Ended up having to move the wheel back a tad.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I've not tried using a 190 personally, but I would assume that may take up a bit more space.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You mean this spacing?
It was more the collector pipe than the exhausts I was worried about but I think I may be panicking a bit on reflection :) Thanks everyone I'll see how it goes at SMSP on the 9th it will be interesting to feel the difference that the 190/60 makes and feel the increase in the header diameter on the track at full song.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
10 Posts
@able duc, what TC setting do you run for the 190/55 and 190/60? I'm considering throwing on some Dunlop GP-A Pro's (190/60) on there or possibly some Q3s (190/55) but cannot find any useful thread on them. I'm assuming it wouldn't be an issue as long as I set the TC to "1", but was curious to see if anyone has increased it to 2 or 3 while running a 190/55 or 190/60 tire. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
@able duc, what TC setting do you run for the 190/55 and 190/60? I'm considering throwing on some Dunlop GP-A Pro's (190/60) on there or possibly some Q3s (190/55) but cannot find any useful thread on them. I'm assuming it wouldn't be an issue as long as I set the TC to "1", but was curious to see if anyone has increased it to 2 or 3 while running a 190/55 or 190/60 tire. Cheers.
What information are you looking for exactly? I can tell you the GP-A's are more of a track tire in every sense than the Q3's for sure. So I guess it depends on what you're looking for there. I don't think you'll notice much of a difference in the way your DTC functions with either tire. My guess would be you're more apt to notice a difference in handling running a 190 vs a 180. You can always make a ride height adjustment to compensate for the difference in tire height. Also, you may find a slight variation in the total height of the Dunlop vs a Pirelli even if they are both labeled as a "60".

·
Registered
10 Posts
What information are you looking for exactly? I can tell you the GP-A's are more of a track tire in every sense than the Q3's for sure. So I guess it depends on what you're looking for there. I don't think you'll notice much of a difference in the way your DTC functions with either tire. My guess would be you're more apt to notice a difference in handling running a 190 vs a 180. You can always make a ride height adjustment to compensate for the difference in tire height. Also, you may find a slight variation in the total height of the Dunlop vs a Pirelli even if they are both labeled as a "60".

I was simply asking what DTC setting he uses for my reference. I run strictly Dunlop GP-A D211's and GP-A Pros on my race bike so I'm pretty familiar with the characteristics of those tires. Just looking to see if running a bigger tire on the 959 will throw off the DTC like a lot of people claim on the forums.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was simply asking what DTC setting he uses for my reference.
level 1 DTC for everything I have put on the back without any problems.

From my understanding the Q3 is a bit small and may upset the electronics that's why I didn't try that one.
Shame because i really liked them as a track day tyre on my 1098, cheap and plenty of grip for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
level 1 DTC for everything I have put on the back without any problems.

From my understanding the Q3 is a bit small and may upset the electronics that's why I didn't try that one.
Shame because i really liked them as a track day tyre on my 1098, cheap and plenty of grip for me.

Thanks able duc! I'm optimistically hoping that running a 190/55 or 190/60 won't upset the bike to the point where it becomes uncontrollable. The way I look at it, any traction control system will and should always have highs and lows to their viable operating windows; to compensate for slightly different tire diameters (e.g. 2-3 mm of wear from a track day) and different running pressures (which will make different rolling diameters). Well...only one way to find out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks able duc! I'm optimistically hoping that running a 190/55 or 190/60 won't upset the bike to the point where it becomes uncontrollable. The way I look at it, any traction control system will and should always have highs and lows to their viable operating windows; to compensate for slightly different tire diameters (e.g. 2-3 mm of wear from a track day) and different running pressures (which will make different rolling diameters). Well...only one way to find out.
Yes agree, I only mentioned the Q3 story because of what I heard but it may not be true.

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You wouldn't believe what I did, I won a salvaged 959 today and has a full Akra exhaust on it.

Looks like I'll have a project moving all my stuff from the 899 onto the other. Should I install the
Rapid Bike Evo even though it may have the upmap?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rapid bike should still work fine with the upmap
OK thanks, do you think I should send it back to Rapid Bike for them for a freshen up for the 959?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts