Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if anyone has done any modifications to their exhaust instead of going the Akro route. i.e. catalytic converter delete, changing out pipes from an 1199/1299, etc...

·
Registered
215 Posts
considering the 1299 has an identical exhaust system that wont make a difference. Termi, Arrow, SC Project, Akra, Comp Werks all make exhausts for the 959

·
Registered
892 Posts
There's tons of people that work with Phl (one of the mods of Ducati1299.org) to get their exhaust cored with dyno-backed results. Phl's signature states: "/modded exhaust for 899/1199:$450 /959/1299:$550 - more flow, more sound, less heat"

Here's the thread: For Sale: stock exhaust core service - Ducati 1299 Forum

On this site, @rrcap2001 did it to his trackbike, but eventually switched to full Akro's(?). Here's the thread with a dyno chart for ants: 959 Coring and dyno.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's tons of people that work with Phl (one of the mods of Ducati1299.org) to get their exhaust cored with dyno-backed results. Phl's signature states: "/modded exhaust for 899/1199:$450 /959/1299:$550 - more flow, more sound, less heat"

Here's the thread: For Sale: stock exhaust core service - Ducati 1299 Forum

On this site, @rrcap2001 did it to his trackbike, but eventually switched to full Akro's(?). Here's the thread with a dyno chart for ants: 959 Coring and dyno.
What's the best option exhaust available for 959?

I found no full system on termi site, akra site just redirect to ducati website.

In Vietnam, I also asked the dealer, they said to me that only akra available, but the price seems too high:

- 4022$ for slip-on
- 6055$ for full system

·
Registered
42 Posts

I found no full system on termi site, akra site just redirect to ducati website.

In Vietnam, I also asked the dealer, they said to me that only akra available, but the price seems too high:

- 4022$ for slip-on

- 6055$ for full system
Akrapovic has an agreement with Ducati to only sell through Ducati dealers. That "exclusivity" allows them to command a high price. you can find these from other Akra dealers at a slightly lower price than a Ducati dealer. Termignoni already has the forward exit full system available for a while already. For the euro version 959, you have options from SC Project, Austin Racing, and other independents for slip-ons. If you don't mind having the side mounted muffler you can have a fabricator make a midpipe in order for you to remove the catalytic converter. If you do you'll be surprised how heavy the stock exhaust system is! That's what I did to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Akrapovic has an agreement with Ducati to only sell through Ducati dealers. That "exclusivity" allows them to command a high price. you can find these from other Akra dealers at a slightly lower price than a Ducati dealer. Termignoni already has the forward exit full system available for a while already. For the euro version 959, you have options from SC Project, Austin Racing, and other independents for slip-ons. If you don't mind having the side mounted muffler you can have a fabricator make a midpipe in order for you to remove the catalytic converter. If you do you'll be surprised how heavy the stock exhaust system is! That's what I did to mine.
Thanks.

Would you please give me the link to termignoni full system?

I visited their website but can not found the full system for 959, only slip-on.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thanks.

Would you please give me the link to termignoni full system?

I visited their website but can not found the full system for 959, only slip-on.
https://bellissimoto-2.myshopify.com/products/termignoni-forward-exit-exhaust-for-ducati-899-959-1199-1299-panigale

This should provide you options to choose from.

The benefit of having the DP Akrapovic system is that you receive an upmap key along with the exhaust. Kits not purchased through Ducati do not come with these provided.

Reactions: cuonglm

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Which is the rub...

·
Registered
91 Posts
https://bellissimoto-2.myshopify.com/products/termignoni-forward-exit-exhaust-for-ducati-899-959-1199-1299-panigale

This should provide you options to choose from.

The benefit of having the DP Akrapovic system is that you receive an upmap key along with the exhaust. Kits not purchased through Ducati do not come with these provided.
Thanks.

So without the upmap key, can I reflash 959 ECU? Does termi have the map for it?

Actually, spending 6k$ (1/5 959 price in VN) for full exhaust is just ridiculous, I would spend that money for another bike (ZX10RR, which is my plan before switching to 959).

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thanks.

So without the upmap key, can I reflash 959 ECU? Does termi have the map for it?

Actually, spending 6k$ (1/5 959 price in VN) for full exhaust is just ridiculous, I would spend that money for another bike (ZX10RR, which is my plan before switching to 959).
Yes, you have the option of a dyno tune and flash, Rexxer, Tuneboy, or what many would suggest, go with RapidBike.

The way the upmap works is, Ducati loads the stock and race maps on the ECU at the time of build and then the upmap key unlocks the race map.

The rear exit Termignoni was what the race map on the 899 and 1199 was optimized for, but the race map on the 959 and 1299 were meant to be used with the Akrapovic system.

There is a Termignoni device called the T800 which allows you to download ( 1st one free - then for a fee ) and apply alternate maps by using an app on your mobile. However, it has only just been released and the last time I looked in to it, the map availability was quite limited. You may want to investigate this option further if you have any interest.

Reactions: cuonglm

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
About the Termignoni T800 device:
Although the first map may be free, you still have to buy the T800 unit first that's priced around 400 Euros. I'll gladly stand corrected if anyone knows otherwise. However, if that's the case, Rapidbike may be a better value proposition.

·
487 Posts

- 4022$ for slip-on
- 6055$ for full system
Akrapovic full exhaust for the Panigale > https://www.motomillion.com/collections/ducati-panigale-899-1199-959-1299/products/akrapovic-evolution-full-titanium-exhaust-ducati-panigale-899-1199-959-1299

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi, thanks for the link.

Why does the description states that:
No fuel remapping required, but for optimal performance it is recommended to use of a fuel controller.
Sounds like a description for a slip-on.

Also. does the product come with the upmap key? And what is total price if it's shipped to Vietnam?

·
487 Posts
Hi, thanks for the link.

Also. does the product come with the upmap key? And what is total price if it's shipped to Vietnam?
Not a slip-on, it is a full exhaust. You don't "have" to do any mapping, but "having" and "needing" to do something is different. We recommend a Rapidbike EVO to be installed, and we can supply you with the Rapidbike EVO as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi, thanks for the link.

Not a slip-on, it is a full exhaust. You don't "have" to do any mapping, but "having" and "needing" to do something is different. We recommend a Rapidbike EVO to be installed, and we can supply you with the Rapidbike EVO as well.
Does it not come with the Akra/Ducati standard up map key?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Only those kits purchased through a Ducati dealer and with the DP designation will come with the upmap key.

If you purchase the Akrapovic slip on or kit through a third party vendor, you are on your own for sourcing a upmap key, flash, module, etc.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Only those kits purchased through a Ducati dealer and with the DP designation will come with the upmap key.

If you purchase the Akrapovic slip on or kit through a third party vendor, you are on your own for sourcing a upmap key, flash, module, etc.
Well, that's BS, isn't it. Buy the $4k exhaust and don't even get the map.

·
Registered
439 Posts

Well, there is a bit of a back story to it... back with the 899, Termignoni had the agreemtnt to provide the DP kit and it came with an upmap key developed in conjunction with Ducati. The Akrapovic slip on and full exhaust were available as an aftermarket upgrade. Fast forward to the release of the 959 and 1299; Termignoni was dropped from the agreement and Akrapovic signed on to become the DP vendor. So essentially, you are purchasing the aftermarket full system meant for the 899, but because the headers are the same and match up, you can use it on the 959 or 1299 without any modifications... just as you can now purchase the front exit Termignoni developed outside of the Ducati agreement either with the accompanying Y pipe adapter or matching headers and it no longer comes with an upmap even though the rear exit kit for the 899 and 1199 did. For the 899 and 1199, there is no Akrapovic specific map preloaded in the ECU.

Along with the additional cost of the DP kit and associated upmap, Ducati is, in essence, extending your bike warranty to cover the exhaust components as well. With the aftermarket kit, it is treated as would any other exhaust would be if you were to purchase it from a third party vendor.

Don't kill the messenger...

·
Registered
119 Posts

Well, there is a bit of a back story to it... back with the 899, Termignoni had the agreemtnt to provide the DP kit and it came with an upmap key developed in conjunction with Ducati. The Akrapovic slip on and full exhaust were available as an aftermarket upgrade. Fast forward to the release of the 959 and 1299; Termignoni was dropped from the agreement and Akrapovic signed on to become the DP vendor. So essentially, you are purchasing the aftermarket full system meant for the 899, but because the headers are the same and match up, you can use it on the 959 or 1299 without any modifications... just as you can now purchase the front exit Termignoni developed outside of the Ducati agreement either with the accompanying Y pipe adapter or matching headers and it no longer comes with an upmap even though the rear exit kit for the 899 and 1199 did. For the 899 and 1199, there is no Akrapovic specific map preloaded in the ECU.

Along with the additional cost of the DP kit and associated upmap, Ducati is, in essence, extending your bike warranty to cover the exhaust components as well. With the aftermarket kit, it is treated as would any other exhaust would be if you were to purchase it from a third party vendor.

Don't kill the messenger...
I get all of that, but the fact you're buying the same exhaust and not getting the upmap key is what I was referring to. If someone is an authorized retailer of the exhaust they should be able to sell the hardware with the software.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I get all of that, but the fact you're buying the same exhaust and not getting the upmap key is what I was referring to. If someone is an authorized retailer of the exhaust they should be able to sell the hardware with the software.
But they are not an authorized dealer of Ducati and the upmap is unlocking the preloaded mapping, developed jointly between Ducati and Akrapovic. You are circumventing the Ducati dealer network and purchasing the less expensive 899/1199 kit for the 959/1299 which isn't endorsed for that bike with the ECU mapping.

If you buy a desktop from Dell, you get the Intel hardware and Microsoft software preinstalled with a install key, but if you buy the hardware from a parts vendor without a resale license from Microsoft and they load Windows on it, you are not going to be able to purchase a Windows key from them. You can go and install Linux and deal with any issues yourself, just as you can install a RapidBike and figure it out or work with your dealer, however Revzilla, for example, is not a Ducati dealer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts