Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on a long road trip soon. Need a phone mount. I wanted it be very minimal cause I like simple. Yesterday I sat there staring at it and it came to me. Total hardware was $2.17! Only part that didn't come from hardware store (the part that inspired this whole thing) was this cell phone bracket mount thingy i had laying around the house. I'm trying to find where on the internet you can purchase just this part but haven't found it yet, sorry. It takes a 1/4 20 size bolt. So this is what I came up with....

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
How's the rigidity or stability of the rig?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Love it's simplicity!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How's the rigidity or stability of the rig?
so far so good. just rode across town and back about 45 minutes and it held in place without moving. that backing plate is nice, under the holder, it cause it is rubberized and helps keep it put. so far im happy.

I may try to see if i can make it sit even more flush to the bike as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is exactly what I want, simple and minimal. Do you mind posting a list of parts and how you put them together please. Also what about a usb outlet for charging the phone?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Please do make sure to let us know how that works out.
Thanks!
So I finally I installed my mount which turned out very nice and elegant. The mount fit the the stem very nicely. I used a toggle bolt from home depot to install it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
There's a thread dedicated to low profile mounting ideas here:
http://www.959panigale.net/forum/wh...-today/3905-low-profile-phone-mount-made.html

Our challenge was to tuck the phone or GPS as deep and forward as possible while not blocking our view of the instrument panel.
Do do so, we found that one of these was the starting point:
25mm Ball Motorcycle Mount Base for Ducati 848 evo (sku 11780) - BuyBits.com

Here's the finished product:
I used it for a GPS but the RamMount that @gatesb77 used is universal for most if not all phones.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
So I finally I installed my mount which turned out very nice and elegant. The mount fit the the stem very nicely. I used a toggle bolt from home depot to install it.

Interesting. Thank you.
A shame it blocks the entire display basically.

I've seen a lot op people use these toggle bolts in the stem. How would you go about getting that back out?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting. Thank you.
A shame it blocks the entire display basically.

I've seen a lot op people use these toggle bolts in the stem. How would you go about getting that back out?
It does not block the display, actually I didn't take the pics from the rider's perspective. Take a look at these pics. I have not needed to remove the toggle bolt but if I do, I suppose I can pop the small plastic cap at the bottom of the stem and drop the bolt through there.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
It does not block the display, actually I didn't take the pics from the rider's perspective. Take a look at these pics. I have not needed to remove the toggle bolt but if I do, I suppose I can pop the small plastic cap at the bottom of the stem and drop the bolt through there.
Thanks for the updated pictures! The first ones definitely tricked me into thinking it was blocking the view of the display. Looks nice man.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thank you. I ordered one also :)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have had the opportunity to ride substantially with a GPS in two set-up locations:
First on the triple clamp and second on top of the steering damper yet with the display panel still in full view.
Objectively speaking, for bracing a phone to charge or simply answer a call through your Cardo or Sena headset it doesn't matter which location you choose. However, if you're using your device for navigation, the triple clamp location does take your eyes off the road.
This is something you may want to consider and my motive for finding a more forward location.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts