Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious - for all of you who use EZ-Pass or one of the other toll transponders. Did you mount them? If so where, and what did you use? I'm stumped on where to put mine that isn't permanent of involves adhesives and my windscreen or triple clamp. BTW, the "in your pocket" or the "just run through and let them match your license with your account" methods don't work in NY. They have barrier gates here and if your tag doesn't get read, the gate stays closed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just curious - for all of you who use EZ-Pass or one of the other toll transponders. Did you mount them? If so where, and what did you use? I'm stumped on where to put mine that isn't permanent of involves adhesives and my windscreen or triple clamp. BTW, the "in your pocket" or the "just run through and let them match your license with your account" methods don't work in NY. They have barrier gates here and if your tag doesn't get read, the gate stays closed.
Hey @NYCman, my bike is stored but i'll try to get pics for you but i used the adhesives and hid it on the underside of the fairing horizontally just as it would be in a car to the left of the dash. It's barely noticeable and when I go through the tools I roll slow (5-10mph) in the middle of the lane and it picks it up every time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here in California you only need to have a valid (Bay Area Fast Trak)pass account. Once you do, you can add any other license tag number you want to use your account and additional transponders aren't needed. I rode over the GG bridge today and in a week or so I'll get an email noting a charge to my pass account from my bike. It's super easy.

I'm very surprised NYC doesn't have something similar. In Florida, used to throw my transponder in my backpack because the reader was above the lane and there were no barriers. Do you wear a pack of any kind? I wear a Kreiga r25 and have a removable pocket on the front, great for cell and **** like that. Perhaps you could do something similar?
http://www.kriega.com/r25-backpack/

Or, you could just mount it on the side of your helmet GoPro style.....I kid

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Good post, I've been wondering the same.

Also been wondering where my bike ezpass I ordered 3 months ago is...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey @NYCman , my bike is stored but i'll try to get pics for you but i used the adhesives and hid it on the underside of the fairing horizontally just as it would be in a car to the left of the dash. It's barely noticeable and when I go through the tools I roll slow (5-10mph) in the middle of the lane and it picks it up every time.
Thanks, man! Much appreciated!

Reactions: Vromano2

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here in California you only need to have a valid (Bay Area Fast Trak)pass account. Once you do, you can add any other license tag number you want to use your account and additional transponders aren't needed. I rode over the GG bridge today and in a week or so I'll get an email noting a charge to my pass account from my bike. It's super easy.

I'm very surprised NYC doesn't have something similar. In Florida, used to throw my transponder in my backpack because the reader was above the lane and there were no barriers. Do you wear a pack of any kind? I wear a Kreiga r25 and have a removable pocket on the front, great for cell and **** like that. Perhaps you could do something similar?
R25 Backpack - Kriega

Or, you could just mount it on the side of your helmet GoPro style.....I kid
Thanks for the info We have that same deal; 1 transponder can be used on any license you put on your account. I like that feature. Like I said, I've heard from lots of people that they just roll through or don't even take the transponder and they'll get an email noting the charge, but that hasn't been my experience. More than once I've had to hold my transponder straight up in the air to get the receiver to read it. It's happened with both types of transponders. I don't always wear a backpack, but I've tried with mine. No joy. Still, I'm willing to try your backpack out since I need a new one and maybe this will work. I've tried the front pocket of my SPIDI and Alpinestars mesh jackets and I can't get a reading from those, so I'm a tad gun shy of the pocket solutions. I've heard that some people have had good luck with mounting in the rear seat housing, but I'm skeptical. BTW, some guy on another forum said he solved his problem by using epoxy to mount the transponder ON HIS HELMET!! :grin2:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I used to put it inside my front pocket, and had to take it out (it had to be visible to the system) when I approached the toll. It was a Major PITA but I didn't often go the toll roads.
You might want to have a clear pouch sewed on your pack, or sewed into a net on your rear seat, and put the transponder in that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@NYCman if I don't get to take a pic today, I will once I get back from the holiday weekend. I go through the same tolls as you daily and when i tried the pocket or book bag thing, it always left me stopping to put it on the box near the lift gate. With my 899 and now the 959, not one issue with ez-pass.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Vromano2 Are you doing something similar to this? (from the 899 forum)

I have also been wondering where to place my EZ-pass.
That's exactly what I did. I actually called ezpass and traded in the old clunker for the updated small one. Additionally, I put it on the left side but that's a minor difference. When i drive through the lane I make sure to stay close to the center because usually in cars they're mounted in the center, no data to support this but maybe the signal is strongest in the center.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's exactly what I did. I actually called ezpass and traded in the old clunker for the updated small one. Additionally, I put it on the left side but that's a minor difference. When i drive through the lane I make sure to stay close to the center because usually in cars they're mounted in the center, no data to support this but maybe the signal is strongest in the center.
Sweet! Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if it would work from that spot, but it's going there today. Thanks again for the help.

Reactions: Vromano2
1 - 11 of 11 Posts