Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from a day at the track and used a set of Chicken Hawk tire warmers on my SC's, I should've been doing this from day one.

I'm still a little hesitant to push right out of the gate but what I did notice was the ability to keep the pressures very even throughout the day AND (the huge plus) a very noticeable lack of degradation compared to heat cycling them 5-6 times a day.

I have one more session in August and I think I will easily get there without a tire swap, which would be 4 track days and about 1,750 street miles, last summer I was changing them after two track days and @2,400 street miles. At that rate the warmers will pay for themselves in one season, the generator in two.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yeah, no joke. Quite daunting of a price for an initial investment, but for the peace of mind and cost savings (if and only if you run enough miles at the track), its well worth it.

I'd say the break even point is like >4 track days a year at which point you'd probably go through tires even quicker, which then it makes even more economical sense to run them.

Reactions: Kev242

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Initial Investment is not just the cost of the tire warmers themselves - for those that aren't aware! You need to power them! That involves a generator, typically, that could cost a grand plus fuel. @Kev242 - what do you use to run them?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very true Dingo though some tracks have power for @$75-150 my main track does not.

Went with the Honda Eu2200i, another grand for that puppy, but I’m finding all kinds of uses for it outside of just warming tires. Fans, charging GoPro batteries, maybe I’ll bring a toaster for some pop tarts! The list is endless.

It will use about a tank and a 1/4 to run the warmers all day so make sure to calculate that into what you bring.

I beg everyone not to bring industrial generators to the track, they are so noisy, and bring a long extension cord. The Honda is whisper quiet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree, I bought my first set of tire warmers this season too.
I went with Woodcraft duel temp settings. I run Dunlop Q3's on my 959.
I have noticed a major change in the way the tires last.
I have 6 track days and about 300 miles of street use on them.
They are just getting to the wear bar now on the sides.
I am bringing my last take offs with me to NYST for a two day event.
If I can get two more days out of these then that will mean I can use 3 sets of tires a year doing my scheduled 18 track days this year.
Right out of the gate you can really push your tires pretty hard, it takes me about a half lap to get going fast anyway so the first two or three flicks into corners are not as aggressive the first lap as they are the second lap forward.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I agree, I bought my first set of tire warmers this season too.
I went with Woodcraft duel temp settings. I run Dunlop Q3's on my 959.
I have noticed a major change in the way the tires last.
I have 6 track days and about 300 miles of street use on them.
They are just getting to the wear bar now on the sides.
I am bringing my last take offs with me to NYST for a two day event.
If I can get two more days out of these then that will mean I can use 3 sets of tires a year doing my scheduled 18 track days this year.
Right out of the gate you can really push your tires pretty hard, it takes me about a half lap to get going fast anyway so the first two or three flicks into corners are not as aggressive the first lap as they are the second lap forward.

I will be at NYST sunday/monday also, see you there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts