Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got the new lady out on the track for the first time yesterday and had a stinking blast! Bike had about 850 miles on it and I pretty much rode it how I wanted without concern, though I'm not as hard of a rider as many. For this being my first sport bike in over 10 years and just getting it a month ago, I felt like I did well. Heck, I put it in Race mode for the first time just before the first session!! The best news of all is the bike left in the shape it got there less the tires being a little thinner. The only bad news is that I had bought an "open box special" Sena Prism (GoPro competition) and it did not work, so no video... and I got a little trailer rash on the way down there. Long story but it got rubbed by a sharp edge for a while, nothing a good body guy/painter shouldn't be able to fix.

I rode with the factory suspension set-up for most of the day. Prior to the last two laps, I had the suspension tuner guy/ professional at the track adjust my suspension (what the heck for $40). I'll post more in the one of the suspension threads but I'll say this, I wish I would have just left it alone... might have just been my comfort with where it was or the fact that it was late in the day and I was starting to lose the energy to push it hard but I rode better on the stock set-up. I had him change something before I left but did not get to track it again. Gives me a project to mess with for the next few weeks.

I ran in the novice group and ultimately ran faster than most. This bike is just so confidence inspiring!! The pain of getting stuck behind the incredibly slow (and track rules are no passing on the inside and arms length away) was balanced by the few more experience trackers in the group that provided more challenging targets to get around. I ran my best on the 3 and 4th goes for sure. The lunch break let the energy level drop too much, I wish we would have just skipped that, I had plenty of time to eat between sessions and was there to ride! There's another track day here in 2 weeks that I am thinking of doing it again!

The track photographer probably won't have the pictures up for 4 or 5 days but here are a few phone pics and I'll post the others when they are available.

Track was just under 2.5 miles, 16 turns, and 300 feet of elevation change. Its uphil from 2 to 4 and 9 to 11 and downhill is all pretty much from 13 to 15! Makes for an interesting "corkscrew" just before the front straight away.

This was the top of the big down hill, picture doesn't make it look as steep as it felt!

The factory Pirellis are awesome! They just stick like glue and seemed to warm up quickly to me though its probably that I just really didn't push them ever as hard a good rider! Though its clear that you are certainly giving up long life for stick!

My buddy (in the black suit) rode a KLM 1200 Adventure bike with 3 year old, standard street tires on 19" spoked wheels! He rode in the intermediate group and pretty well lead the pack... he was hitting 150 on the front and running sub 2 minute laps which is flat hauling. (Lap record is 1:38.8 .) To be fair, apparently he raced professionally for about 10 years (15+years ago). It was impressive to watch him throw that things around!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah, I didn't put any tape on the bike. From where I was on the street all I did in terms of making it track ready was pull the CRG Arrows (though I don't think that I even HAD to), set tire pressures to about 30 (28 a little later in the day) and 32, unpluged the low beams, and disconnected the rear lights. For those that don't know, there is a plug under the front seat that controls all the rear lights. Its a bit tricky to get to, I pulled up the control module to ease access and had to cut two panduits. To get it back together, I had to pull the metal bracket that goes over the rear of the tank. The master caution light was on for the day.

This picture shows the trailer rash, white spot on the lower front of the fairing.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Well I got the new lady out on the track for the first time yesterday and had a stinking blast! Bike had about 850 miles on it and I pretty much rode it how I wanted without concern, though I'm not as hard of a rider as many. For this being my first sport bike in over 10 years and just getting it a month ago, I felt like I did well. Heck, I put it in Race mode for the first time just before the first session!! The best news of all is the bike left in the shape it got there less the tires being a little thinner. The only bad news is that I had bought an "open box special" Sena Prism (GoPro competition) and it did not work, so no video... and I got a little trailer rash on the way down there. Long story but it got rubbed by a sharp edge for a while, nothing a good body guy/painter shouldn't be able to fix.
I'll be out there tomorrow! What is the date for the next one you're going to? I'm hoping the weather isn't as rainy as it's predicted to be

·
Registered
183 Posts
Curious what your bike prep was (i.e did you have to strap or rewire anything). All i see is no passager pegs, license plate, block offs for the front mirrors. I've never done a trackday, just wondering what the average bike prep is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curious what your bike prep was (i.e did you have to strap or rewire anything). All i see is no passager pegs, license plate, block offs for the front mirrors. I've never done a trackday, just wondering what the average bike prep is.
I mentioned this in my second post but I'll run you through it. You did not have to pull your rear passenger pegs or rear view mirrors or license plate. The only real rules were, you had to remove or tape over anything that was glass (plastic was okay) and you need to not be able to see your brake lights... so basically tape over them or disconnect them. I will say that at least two ppl only used blue painters tape to cover their brake lights and you could see them anyways, and it was distracting... I actually asked one guy if he wouldn't mind putting a second coat of tape over his.

So for me, I disconnect the tail lights and head lights and removed by CRG bar end mirrors. I had already removed the factory rear views as they SUCK in my opinion. I also had just replaced the rear "fender" with the NRC undertail and simply choose not to install the license plate plate until after the track day. While I was installing the undertail, I just pulled the rear passenger pegs as I wasn't totally sure of the rules and its pretty unlikely that I will take many pax.

Cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
I mentioned this in my second post but I'll run you through it. You did not have to pull your rear passenger pegs or rear view mirrors or license plate. The only real rules were, you had to remove or tape over anything that was glass (plastic was okay) and you need to not be able to see your brake lights... so basically tape over them or disconnect them. I will say that at least two ppl only used blue painters tape to cover their brake lights and you could see them anyways, and it was distracting... I actually asked one guy if he wouldn't mind putting a second coat of tape over his.

So for me, I disconnect the tail lights and head lights and removed by CRG bar end mirrors. I had already removed the factory rear views as they SUCK in my opinion. I also had just replaced the rear "fender" with the NRC undertail and simply choose not to install the license plate plate until after the track day. While I was installing the undertail, I just pulled the rear passenger pegs as I wasn't totally sure of the rules and its pretty unlikely that I will take many pax.

Cheers
Gotcha, thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be out there tomorrow! What is the date for the next one you're going to? I'm hoping the weather isn't as rainy as it's predicted to be
Good luck Tony! Raining pretty good where I am at but that certainly doesn't mean its raining on the peninsula.

August 21st I believe is the next track day that I am thinking of doing at the Ridge. OPRT sponsored I think. The following weekend is WMRRA races at Pacific... might be cool to go watch for a bit.

Anyways, good luck today!

·
Registered
892 Posts
You guys have it good up in the PNW. Over here in CO, there's only 3 tracks, all of which seem to only have open lapping days for motorcycles on weekdays only.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Sounds like you've just become addicted to the "track crack"!! No worries as it happens to everyone. lol! Sounds like you had a blast, that's awesome! Looks like a cool track too! Those Pirellis are super soft on the edges.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Good luck Tony! Raining pretty good where I am at but that certainly doesn't mean its raining on the peninsula.

August 21st I believe is the next track day that I am thinking of doing at the Ridge. OPRT sponsored I think. The following weekend is WMRRA races at Pacific... might be cool to go watch for a bit.

Anyways, good luck today!
We got lucky with the weather! Around 11am, it started sprinkling off and on just a little bit. Nothing measurable at all. Then it went away and was off and on. But it was never very much. When I left the track, literally like 3 miles away, the road was wet. So we got really lucky that we were in a "pocket" that didn't get much rain at all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We got lucky with the weather! Around 11am, it started sprinkling off and on just a little bit. Nothing measurable at all. Then it went away and was off and on. But it was never very much. When I left the track, literally like 3 miles away, the road was wet. So we got really lucky that we were in a "pocket" that didn't get much rain at all.
That's awesome! Looking forward to hear more about your experience and seeing some pictures!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice! Sounds like you had a blast.

I also went to a track called Buttonwillow this past Sunday. Had 408 miles on the bike and it performed flawlessly. My previous track bike was an 848 and in my opinion, the 959 so much better!

let the track addition begin ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts