Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fourth time to the New York Safety Track, first time with the 959 this past Sunday. Abbreviated day since I chose to show up late due to morning showers and only got three sessions in.

Took the mirrors and tail assembly off the night before. The foremost tail bolts were a bit of a pain until I removed the seat. I took the left fairing off to access the fuse box, removed the fuse that was labeled for the lights yet my headlights and brake lights were still illuminated. A bit of a pain about that but just taped over them anyway.

The 959 performed almost flawlessly as I gradually increased the pace each session.

I had only one missed QS, probably user error, but considering switching to a GP shift pattern just so my foot uses more consistent pressure on the lever.

I started the day rev matching my downshifts (as I normally do) and twice the bike lurched forward when I released the clutch. I probably held a hair of throttle open that caused the reaction, both times it was right before I was tipping in so it was a little hairy.

After that experience I decided to let the slipper clutch and the EBC do the work and skip the rev matching. Very interesting results. I would hold the clutch and jump on the brakes, go down 2-3 gears, then dump the clutch after my initial braking pressure but before I began to bleed off the brake pressure. The rear would oscillate and then settle down as the variance between speed and gear became aligned. If you ever watch MotoGP think of how Marquez or Iannone's rear steps out under hard braking, though their's moves by feet and mine was probably inches :wink2:

By the end of the day I was even using that technique while having some lean angle, same oscillation but I never felt uncomfortable, quite the opposite, it was exhilarating!

Back to the track in October and will experiment with the EBC and DTC some more to see how the bike responds.

My previous bike was a bit of a monster, easily catch anyone on the straights. This puppy is so much more satisfying to ride, in order to have any chance of passing the liter bikes I had to make sure to get great drive out of the corners and I would just pip them before the braking zone. Very fun!!

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sounds like a great time!

What ride mode settings did you run?

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I met a few guys my last outing at Mid-Ohio that are from that area and ride that track. They seemed to like it.

I strongly suggest you change to GP shift. You will find it makes so much more sense. Especially when riding at speed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DTC 3, EBC 1, ABS 2, my next time out I'll flip between EBC 2 and 3 to see how it reacts though I was perfectly content with EBC 1.

I hear ya on the GP shift, seems so much more intuitive and with the braking described above there will be plenty of time to get my foot under the lever...just need to reprogram my brain (no simple task!).

NYST is intimidating, crazy technical and basically never flat. Turn 6 starts as a downhill left hander leading to "wheelie hill" turn 7 which is a blind uphill right hander. The track peaks at the apex and drops off to the left after cresting. As you gain speed and confidence you creep closer to the apex and you wheelie while leaned over down the back side of the turn...wild stuff! If you can get a good rhythm at that track everything else on the east coast is a cake walk!

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Where do you live?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had my first track day with my 959 on Sunday as well. I loved my bike but it badly needs brake pads and maybe a new master cylinder. I'm used to a brembo rcs19 on my zx6r

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cheers for the report Kev.

Looking forward to getting my 959 to the track at some point.

I find even with the slipper clutch I still feather the lever a little rather than just dropping the clutch.
Guess that comes from so many years riding without a slipper. Does smooth out my corner entry though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I met a few guys my last outing at Mid-Ohio that are from that area and ride that track. They seemed to like it.

I strongly suggest you change to GP shift. You will find it makes so much more sense. Especially when riding at speed.
What's the advantage of GP shift? Is it purely for when you need to shift up when you're still somewhat leaned over?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where do you live?
Northern Dutchess County, NY, just across the river from Kingston.

I'd have to pay more attention to see if my "dump the clutch" is truly a dump or a little feathered. I'll make a note of that on my next outing.

I'm very comfortable with the brakes, I love a long lever travel (and pedal travel).

Thinking of where to put my GoPro for next track day, I'd hate to adhere it to the tank, might have to wait for some track fairings so I can pop on some mounts in various locations.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I started out feathering the clutch out on downshifts but since I wanted more braking power I ended up just dumping and letting the slipper handle the work. The rear stepped out a little and I heated up the supercorsa rear tire pretty well. 3 sessions and that rear tire showed some good wear on one side. Haha.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Thinking of where to put my GoPro for next track day, I'd hate to adhere it to the tank, might have to wait for some track fairings so I can pop on some mounts in various locations.
I have my gopro mounted on the left side. Usually facing forward. But one nice thing about this position is if I face it backwards, it is excellent for verifying body position on the track. It really helped me see how much more I needed to get my butt off the seat, move my upper body, etc

I also have one under the tail - for facing backwards and getting video of a buddy following me.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you just using their standard adhesive mount?

I'm thinking about fabricating a plate that will bolt under where the tail assembly holds the bumper/lights/license plate with a few RAM balls welded to it for different POVs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What's the advantage of GP shift? Is it purely for when you need to shift up when you're still somewhat leaned over?
GP shift mainly makes it easier to upshift while still leaned over/hanging off the bike. In left-hand corners, it might be difficult to get your boot under the shifter (certainly depending on how much you are leaned over) and either risk dragging your boot or upshift unintentionally/too early. In right-hand corners, you certainly are not running the risk of dragging your boot, however, it is easier to simply push down on the shifter while still being locked into the tank.

While upshifting now is a bit easier, you may find that downshifts are a bit slower now (especially if you need to downshift a couple of gears), simply because it is certainly easier to just push the shifter a couple of times rather than pulling it.

The main point of using GP shift though is the fact that it makes you instantly cooler than anyone around. People respect you more, ask for autographs and you will also get all the cute ladies...

Reverse shifting provides benefits on the track and hence most track day riders/racers are using GP shift. There are no real benefits on the streets as you (usually) are not approaching the same lean angles. Having said that, there have been a few professional racers (e.g. Biaggi, Schwantz) that didn't switch to GP shift and still were successful. At the end of the day, it is essentially a personal preference.

PS: There is some sarcasm hidden in the above...I'll let you figure out where exactly... ;)

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Are you just using their standard adhesive mount?

I'm thinking about fabricating a plate that will bolt under where the tail assembly holds the bumper/lights/license plate with a few RAM balls welded to it for different POVs.
Yes, standard adhesive mounts

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts