Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum seems kind of small. I am not implying anything negative about the site or anyone on it. It is more of a comment about how many 959's there are. I was a member of a nissan 370z forum and there seemed to be a lot of active members with mods and parts for sale all the time, but i suppose that had to do with the amount of 370's that where out there. It would be great if there were used parts for sale more often, but the 959 is a very new model so I understand. I have been trying to find sales numbers for 959 and apparently in 2017 from january 1 to september 30 there where 199 959's sold. By doing some math that is 22.2 per month for 2017. One would think that more where sold in 2016 since it was a new model but not necessarily. Using these same figures over the last two years 533 959's would have been sold. I am not sure if these are just U.S numbers or not. In conclusion there just aren't very many of these sexy but bad *** bikes out there.

·
Registered
892 Posts
This forum seems kind of small. I am not implying anything negative about the site or anyone on it. It is more of a comment about how many 959's there are. I was a member of a nissan 370z forum and there seemed to be a lot of active members with mods and parts for sale all the time, but i suppose that had to do with the amount of 370's that where out there. It would be great if there were used parts for sale more often, but the 959 is a very new model so I understand. I have been trying to find sales numbers for 959 and apparently in 2017 from january 1 to september 30 there where 199 959's sold. By doing some math that is 22.2 per month for 2017. One would think that more where sold in 2016 since it was a new model but not necessarily. Using these same figures over the last two years 533 959's would have been sold. I am not sure if these are just U.S numbers or not. In conclusion there just aren't very many of these sexy but bad *** bikes out there.
The best numbers I could find was that Ducati sold 54,800 bikes in 2015 and 55,400 in 2016 worldwide across ~26 models. According to this data study, you're not too far off as it states that 89 959 Panigales were sold in the first quarter (interesting also, 53 1299 Panigales were sold). Can't tell if this is Australia only, but that's eye-opening to think that the 959 may pull in only about 1% portfolio share for Ducati.

If we look at 2016 370Z sales between Jan-Apr in the US, 1800 units were sold. Although potentially across different geographic markets, that's a 20x increase!

No doubt you are correct in saying that this forum is small, but in general the motorcycle industry is significantly smaller than the car industry, so its expected. I'm sure age demographics also tie into this, but if we compare the370z.com's membership (147000) to 959panigale.net's (1000), there's definitely more to why 959 owners aren't more active in the forums. For some insight, our forum's age demographic is centered around the 30-39 age group, but I'd almost bet that the370z.com's memberbase is heavily skewed toward younger adults <30 years of age, which I'd say is more info-saavy and more inclined to get involved on niche forum groups.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, i was really surprised by how low the sales numbers where for the panigale. Ducati mustn't make too much money on the panigale models. To be selling under 1000 units per year seems very disappointing, but I am happy they make them and also so rare.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's not that surprising if you consider that the Panigale line is now 6 years old.

There's an A&R article from 2012 that says Ducati sold 7500 1199s in that year, 17% of their total sales. I'd imagine sales fell off rather rapidly after the first year or two. Introduction of each new model was probably spaced out on purpose for that reason. 899 in 2014, 1299 in 2015, then the 959 in 2016.

To be fair though, 199 bikes isn't that bad since middleweight sportbike sales are down overall. I bet that number smashes whatever Honda sold of the 600RR.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You know I was thinking the same thing though. When I had my 848 evo the ducati.org > 848 forum was absolutely pumping. When I get on here just isnt a ton of activity, I was think about this the other night. I would probably partially attribute it to instagram factor. People just spend less time on forums maybe ?? I dont know, again like the original poster that is not a diss to the forum, just seems like forum traffic is lower than previous years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Panigale FB groups are much more active in my experience. "PANIGALE RIDERS" "Ducati Panigale Owners Group" "Ducati Panigale Owners Club"

·
Registered
439 Posts
When I picked up my 899 back in 2014, the forums were explosive due to everyone having questions about fitment, modifications, and the quirks of the bike electronics. The searchable content grew exponentially as owners fitted their new bikes with exhausts, rearsets, levers, and encountered hurdles while doing so.

Now, it appears that if you ask a question, it has likely already been covered. The only posts now are new members, paint or wraps and other updates, or tracks day footage.

I imagine that the V4 forums are having the same activity and growth as the early Panigale models had when they were first released.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
When I picked up my 899 back in 2014, the forums were explosive due to everyone having questions about fitment, modifications, and the quirks of the bike electronics. The searchable content grew exponentially as owners fitted their new bikes with exhausts, rearsets, levers, and encountered hurdles while doing so.

Now, it appears that if you ask a question, it has likely already been covered. The only posts now are new members, paint or wraps and other updates, or tracks day footage.

I imagine that the V4 forums are having the same activity and growth as the early Panigale models had when they were first released.
That is so true. Two years and a few months ago now seems like an eternity. Ideas were flowing from all directions from bad to good to brilliant. However, we initial 959 owners were also helped enormously from the 899/1199 forum guys in solving issues or challenges that they have had to solve. The Panigale V4 crowd is going through the same and will benefit from all previous Panigale forums for certain things which may necessitate some adaptation and MacGyver'ism of their own.
The words for any new member/owner: "The search box is your friend"

Reactions: sinjin
1 - 8 of 8 Posts