Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,

I'll be taking ownership of my new 959 tomorrow and very excited, I've been replaying the video I recorded on the test ride, that sound!!!

This will sound odd but I've never had to scrub in tyres on any of my bikes since they have been a donated by a mate (Ex-track day with still 80% tread) and the only replacement set I got the tyre fitter went for a ride and scrubbed them in (Rosso II)

I have two options, ride the highway home (boring) for an hour or go through the twisties (a lot more fun) - I'd prefer to do that latter, taking it easy.

I'll admit a slight bit nervous due to the $$$ just spent on the bike. I just wanted to get a feel for how the Rosso Corsa tyres feel new, are they overly slippery cold and fine at temp any recommendations while on the newer rubber? There is so many different opinions I figured I'd ask some 959 owners about the specific tyres it comes with :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Congrats! The tires are great and sticky from day one. Take your time and they'll get worked in under normal riding quite quickly. The one piece of advice I have is to have faith in the tires regardless. If you don't have faith in your tires and you are forced to make a quick decision, chances are it won't end well for you and/or the bike. Oh, and know the road you're on... knowing where sand/debris/leaves collects can save you from an upset.
Happy riding!

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Tar snakes. No tires are going to save you from that black ice on a hot day...

Reactions: Ohnoez2

·
Registered
126 Posts
Pirelli doesn't use mold release. You could ride it off the showroom floor and lean it over a good amount and have no worries. I'd warm the tires up a little before trying it, though! I rode with the Corsa Rosso's in 12*F weather, they were still ok as far as traction as long as you had been riding a little while and didn't stop at traffic lights too often!

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Congrats on the bike! I would concur with the comments above regrading tire scrub-in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback guys,

I'll be taking it easy to get used to the bike and I'll be going the twistie way home (I know the roads very well and beats a straight highway). Forecast for today, clear skies and a warm day 30c (86f) great weather for a ride although it can get pretty humid here in Brisbane.

Kevin, I hear you loud and clear about the tar snakes I've had a bike slip out before on a hot day and the tyres up to temp but on cheap OEM rubber. But still I've been very cautious of them ever since it happened.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome and congrats, very capable OEM rubber on the Pani I think you'll have a great ride home. And don't just stare at it in the garage when you get it home, like I do with mine :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Kevin, I hear you loud and clear about the tar snakes I've had a bike slip out before on a hot day and the tyres up to temp but on cheap OEM rubber. But still I've been very cautious of them ever since it happened.
+1 I had more trouble with slipping on them (in hot summer temps) on the Continentals I ran. The Pirellis were much better. But tar snakes in the cold and wet are the worst.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Congrats on the bike. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised that the stock Pirelli Diablo has plenty of grip off the bat just like everyone has mentioned I would be more concerned about scrubbing in those brake pads. While it won't take long at all to break those in, just be careful on hard breaking. And while we are on the subject of break ins, once you've scrubbed the tires and brake pads....ride it like you stole it! Hit all those rpm ranges without going over, on every gear. I'm sure some will disagree with me and there are a million threads that will say I'm cookoo. But hey, these bikes were meant to be ridden and ridden hard like the ***** that they are. haha :D

Happy New Year and happy riding!!!!

Cheers!!!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Hi Gents,

I'll be taking ownership of my new 959 tomorrow and very excited, I've been replaying the video I recorded on the test ride, that sound!!!

This will sound odd but I've never had to scrub in tyres on any of my bikes since they have been a donated by a mate (Ex-track day with still 80% tread) and the only replacement set I got the tyre fitter went for a ride and scrubbed them in (Rosso II)

I have two options, ride the highway home (boring) for an hour or go through the twisties (a lot more fun) - I'd prefer to do that latter, taking it easy.

I'll admit a slight bit nervous due to the $$$ just spent on the bike. I just wanted to get a feel for how the Rosso Corsa tyres feel new, are they overly slippery cold and fine at temp any recommendations while on the newer rubber? There is so many different opinions I figured I'd ask some 959 owners about the specific tyres it comes with :)

Cheers!

No worries, I rode two new sportbikes home this year and made a detour out into the twisties for some spirited riding on the way home on both. I typically do a few miles of sharp S turns on a straight road with gradually increasing lean angles when burning in a new set of tires and then lean it in, never had an issue and I've gone through many sets of new tires in my riding career.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts