Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta change out that front tire, the front axle nut looked like a 30 mm so I picked up a 12 point at Autozone. It fits but it sure feels like a sloppy fit, like there's some play in there. Is it a 29 mm or some odd ball size like a 29.5 mm .....lol?

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Gotta change out that front tire, the front axle nut looked like a 30 mm so I picked up a 12 point at Autozone. It fits but it sure feels like a sloppy fit, like there's some play in there. Is it a 29 mm or some odd ball size like a 29.5 mm .....lol?
I'd have to look at my socket to be sure...

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is a 30 mm but it doesn't seem to fit real tight, I notice the 36 mm twelve point on the rear axle nut has the same loose fit.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Am I reading the service manual right, it says to grease the front axle threads and lower fork pinch bolts with molybdenum-disulfide grease before assembly? I'm used to dry thread torque figures but.....it's a Ducati!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I recall , my rear axle nut was super tight and had zero grease on the threads or on the seals.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I checked - 30mm for the front axle nut. I just changed my front for the first time and noticed there wasn't any grease around the the wheel bearing seals. The rubber had worn onto the spacer a bit as well. I made sure to put some axle grease around them before reassembly. I use a copper grease on my caliper bolts and BelRay waterproof axle grease on my axles. I usually don't grease the nuts or pinch bolts because the wheels don't stay on for that long.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, what is with Ducati not wanting to lube the grease seals on their wheels? It makes me wonder what else on my bike they forgot to lubricate. I have the 30mm twelve point and I guess it fits how it fits. I usually forego the grease on the axles, caliper bolts and fork pinch bolts on my I-4s, they stay on their maybe 6 months between tire changes so no worries with seizing.

Reactions: dougo1199
1 - 7 of 7 Posts