Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few months after I bought my 959 the front brake started to lose pressure. If I pump the brake the pressure will return, but after riding for a few minutes it will lose pressure again. I took it to the dealer to have the brakes bled, which fixed the problem for a few weeks, but now it is back. I almost have to squeeze the brake to the grip to engage the brake.

Has anybody had this problem or is this normal?

·
Registered
892 Posts
So a few months after I bought my 959 the front brake started to lose pressure. If I pump the brake the pressure will return, but after riding for a few minutes it will lose pressure again. I took it to the dealer to have the brakes bled, which fixed the problem for a few weeks, but now it is back. I almost have to squeeze the brake to the grip to engage the brake.

There's a couple threads about it on here. No root causes found, but one sure solution is deleting the ABS.

I wouldn't say it's normal since some owners have stated they don't experience it, but there are enough owners on here (myself included) that have this problem. It takes at least the second squeeze for pressure to return.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well at least I am not the only one :p That makes me feel a little better... still annoyed though.

Have you noticed it getting any worse? Or has it stayed the same level of mushy?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Honesty, mine is bordering on being unsafe. Not sure how to explain it to my dealer to get it checked under warranty (they've found no problem in the past).

By unsafe, I mean in a panic situation where I need brake pressure now, all I feel is lever to the clipon/grip. I've had some "oh crap" moments where I wanted to start slowing down, but had no pressure, but since it happens often, I just shrug it off, quickly release and reapply force to the lever, getting me back the pressure I'm familiar with. This is all less than a second, but as we all know, time is limited in a bad situation.

If anyone has a way to go through the ABS flushing sequence, I'd feel a lot better since the intermittent loss of pressure possibly could be due to air in the ABS assembly. I haven't tried reverse bleeding yet, but others on the other Panigale forums and here have had good results with that.

·
Registered
4 Posts

This is cause by the caliper piston getting out of alignment. It is normal and can happen to most fixed caliper type calipers. one side will be out more and as you apply the brake the piston will come out pushing the rotors a bit to one side. As soon as you release the lever and the bike moves forward the rotors will push back piston in. The next first brake pump will feel that you have loss brake pressure.

Normally they take care of this when you have your Ducati for service. If not dont worry it can be a diy job.

1) remove caliper and pads. do not let calipers hang using the brake lines use straps to hold calipers (DO NOT REMOVE BRAKE LINES OR OPEN BLEED NIPPLES)
2) clean piston (brake cleaner and toothbrush)
3) push all four piston in (can be done with fingers as they should be light)
4) install brake pads
5) install caliper - finger tight the two caliper bolts for now
6) pump the brakes a few times slowly until you feel the bake pressure comes back.
7) hold the brake lever (use strap or ask a friend) and while holding tighten the two caliper bolts to proper torque(use lock tight). doing this this will center the caliper properly
8) repeat to the other caliper

Next make sure the rotors floating pins move freely by pushing each one. now take it for a good 50kms ride braking a lot so the pads will wear even with the new piston alignment.

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes on my 899 when I first got it. I took out one of the calipers and you can clearly see one side the piston are considerably out more the other side. The previous owner thought the 899 brakes are not good. First thing I did was a full service on the bike and reset the caliper pistons.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Did you happen to change out the rotors at the same time?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts