Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was going to install a 14 tooth front sprocket just wanted to show what i found, the first pic is the washer holding the sprocket on second pic is jus for reference
Is that suppose to be in 4 parts?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Interesting failure, very odd to fracture very evenly like that.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
No.. lol

Lefty loosey, righty tighty hulk.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
What's the circular scrape mark from on the broken washer? I find it hard to believe as soon as you loosened the bolt, without scraping or hitting the washer, that it broke into 4 pieces... something sounds fishy.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Can you take photos of the opposite side of the washer? Just curious to see where the fracture propagated from, either from the sprocket (circular mark maybe?) or the bolt.

It seems like the cracks start from 4 features from the sprocket that are about 90degrees apart. Just seems too consistent to be a manufacturing defect of the washer. Do you happen to have photos of the original sprocket?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll take a pic of the other side when I get home, I don't have the original sprocket it's still on the bike and has been sold

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
I know how to take off a bolt but thanks , as soon as the bolt was loosened the washed crumbled, just giving a heads
I was just kidding bud. The only way I see that happening is if it was both over-hardened in production AND over-torqued in assembly... Which is possibly apparently.

Reactions: ibeneil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you take photos of the opposite side of the washer? Just curious to see where the fracture propagated from, either from the sprocket (circular mark maybe?) or the bolt.

It seems like the cracks start from 4 features from the sprocket that are about 90degrees apart. Just seems too consistent to be a manufacturing defect of the washer. Do you happen to have photos of the original sprocket?

heres the pic of the other side this would be the bolt side, the little nice on the corners were just from the pieces floating around with change in my truck for a few weeks

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Very very odd.

Seems like just a case of localized stress with cyclic loading toward brittle fracture, fortunately on a non-load-bearing part that's easily replaceable. I'd imagine the washer is slightly bowed inward, which caused it to fracture so evenly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Overtorque and brittle part as some mentioned, Ducati needs to get their act together IMHO. My rear axle nut was overtorqued so badly I couldn't believe it, I'm guessing over 400 lb-ft of torque to bust it loose. Used an 18" breaker bar with a 3 foot cheater pipe slipped over it and still lifted the rear end of my bike with my neighbor sitting on it about 3 inches off the ground....totally insane!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts