Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short- hit a pothole a few months back. Didn’t realise but I dented the wheel rim. Since then I’ve put 3000km on the clock including two track days without noticing any wobble or vibration. On my most recent tyre check I finally spotted the said dent.
My question is: does the wheel need replacing or can it be hammered out? I’m taking it to my local Ducati dealership as among other things I don’t know how to raise the front of my bike to get the wheel off. I’m pretty sure my dealer will insist on replacing the wheel- that’s what they’re like. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
892 Posts
Long story short- hit a pothole a few months back. Didn’t realise but I dented the wheel rim. Since then I’ve put 3000km on the clock including two track days without noticing any wobble or vibration. On my most recent tyre check I finally spotted the said dent.
We'll see from the photos, it doesn't sound that bad since the bead is holding but...

I’m taking it to my local Ducati dealership as among other things I don’t know how to raise the front of my bike to get the wheel off.
I'd just recommend you do what the dealer tells you to do since any advice we give you may get misconstrued as the correct choice due to your lack of mechanical knowledge.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Yeah, what they said... ^^ also, it doesn't get hammered out (if it does then whoever's hammer'n should get hammrd!) it should get rolled out - your local expensive car tune shop should know someone with the right tool to true a bent wheel. It's basically a similar machine to the one that installs a tire, but you heat the wheel and it rolls the wheel true.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I saw your post on Facebook and my previous recommendation still applies... use the opportunity as an excuse to upgrade your wheels to forged aluminum or carbon fiber if you dare.

It was the best decision I made and beats replacing the exhaust hands down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
30BBDDC5-8C91-4015-BD57-F9911D834997_1536229220755.jpeg 30BBDDC5-8C91-4015-BD57-F9911D834997_1536229220755.jpeg 7763A82B-64C4-4B83-AF6F-E32E9A273910_1536229176068.jpg
I thought I had posted these before now. Thanks for the advice so far. I’ve been flat out and haven’t been able to get to my dealer yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My local garage just happens to be owned & run by ex-road racing legend Phillip McCallen who knows a man who rolled it back out for me. honestly can't see the bash now. cost £400 including a new tyre. Had been quoted over a grand for a new wheel and discs.
my advice is get it done properly as forewarned says.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I’m selling my OEM front and rear rims if anyone is interested. They are gloss black and in excellent condition. I’m selling them because I purchased a set of forged aluminum Marchesinis. Front rim will include a used Pirelli Rosso Corsa tire with 4000 street miles and quite a bit of tread still remaining. Rear rim will include a Pirelli Rosso Corsa II tire with only 1000 street miles and A LOT of tread remaining. I’m willing to sell them as a set or individually. Asking $300 for front rim/tire and $400 for rear rim/tire. PM me if interested

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts