Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently brought my 959. Filled it up and while riding, a little bit of town, motorway, but mostly A roads. Riding what I'd say would be very reserved following a friend in a family car. At around 55miles the fuel light came on. The range indicator moved up a bit, then my fuel light went off. It did the same thing about 10ish miles down the road and went off again. I finished my trip at 84 miles and the fuel light was off. Has anyone had this issue before, I'm guessing a switch or sensor issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine will come off and on often when it gets close to the reserve level. If you are riding the bike in a straight line, this happens less often. But in corners it will come off and on a few times before coming on solid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine will come off and on often when it gets close to the reserve level. If you are riding the bike in a straight line, this happens less often. But in corners it will come off and on a few times before coming on solid.
The end of my journey was straight motorways, and it seems a bit soon on the trip? Surely the fuel light shouldn't be coming on for s bit at around 60 miles of light riding? Or is this something I just need to get used to? Call it character?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are you truly filling the gas tank? When I first got my 899 I would fill it with the bike on its side stand. Doing this leaves a lot of unfilled space in the tank. My gas light would frequently come on between 65-75 miles. I thought, “surely this light must be wrong” until I ran out of gas 20 miles later.

the solution for me was to fill the bike while sitting on it, keeping it upright. This allows for an additional gallon of fuel. Now I routinely get 100-120 miles before the light comes on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you truly filling the gas tank? When I first got my 899 I would fill it with the bike on its side stand. Doing this leaves a lot of unfilled space in the tank. My gas light would frequently come on between 65-75 miles. I thought, “surely this light must be wrong” until I ran out of gas 20 miles later.

the solution for me was to fill the bike while sitting on it, keeping it upright. This allows for an additional gallon of fuel. Now I routinely get 100-120 miles before the light comes on.
I 'think' I filled up sitting as I normally do on my other bike but maybe not, I remember filling till it was a few cm under the fuel cap though and thinking "ain't no more gettin in here" I'll have to check again next time I get it out, British weather :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I never pay attention to miles traveled per tank. I would think 60 miles is a bit short too. Maybe you are getting really bad millage? Engine problem maybe. I believe the tank is 4.5 gallons and the reserve comes on at 1.5 gallons left. I also top off my bike as I sit on it. I estimate that I see about 100 miles before the low fuel light with spirited riding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, congrats lovely bike enjoy em.

For mine the fuel light comes on after 180kms (give or take 5-10km depending on how hard Ive been riding) . Twisties and lots of accel/ decels will also cause it to come on / off. It is usually solidly on at the 195km mark regardless of anything. Noise from that lovely vtwin stops at 280kms give or take. I have got 286km from a tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts