Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like Brock but yea he doesn’t Deal to much with Ducati. Running L twin high compression. Our bikes require 90+ octane. That’s why it’s in the books. I see a difference when I put in just 91 so bumping it up to 93 is good. It would be nice to see the difference on his Dyno with 90 and 100.
Honestly with the Ducati’s get an MWR air filter, set your suspension, have good tires, throttle spacers and ride the heck out of your bike.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That's a negative. Higher octane burns slower and produces less power.
The only reason for using higher octane is reducing pre-detonation (ping).
Oxygenated MR12 race gas is different and would produce much more power if that's the goal for those that have deep pockets. While MR12 is 93, it's the added O2 that make it more power not the octane.

Just found this (one of many) from Brock at 1:15 mark.

I will be on the lookout for more of these as I want to put this "more octane = more power" myth to rest.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Here it is.
Check it out at 20:51:
"As far as pump gas, everyone want's to run 93 because it makes them feel good,
so you can if you want but it runs about 2 HP less than 89"

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here it is:
Check it out at 20:51 and I quote:
"As far as pump gas, everyone want's to run 93 because it makes them feel good,
so you can if you want but it runs about 2 HP less than 89"

Yes but it’s a Suzuki your trying to compare apples to oranges. All engine are not the same. All gas is oxygenated when refined that’s what gives the Ron rating. Now a days they use ethanol to oxygenate. With modern tech and higher tolerances and modern computers. We are able to compensate for more. For example I have a stock 2017 Toyota 86. Manuel says 93 octane minimum. I live in NV can only get 91 pump. Even when I put 91 in fuel economy drops Hp drops and engine does not runs as well, throttle response dulls. When I mix some 100 in to bring it up to 93-95 that all goes away. Why because it’s set up to run 93+octane. Now most stock maps have a top end of octane/ethanol you can use. 10-15% that is mainly because of equipment ie hoses ect will degrade faster and ethanol is also hydrostatic like brake fluid it pulls in moisture. My car has the highest mass production compression ratio stock at time. 12:5:1 for a 4 cylinder boxer it also has direct port injectors 2 injectors per cylinder. I still get 20-30mpg and 7300 Rpm redline on a N/A. Higher octane burns cleaner and more compleat when used as recommended. It guards against pre detonation when compressed in at a higher rate or presser. Now take a 1990 Ford Mustang ( as its brand new off the show room floor in 1990) stock Manuel says 87-89 octane. Now is let’s make your comparison if I run 89 in the mustang good performance, say it even makes 2 more hp on 87. Awesome right. Now I run my Toyota on 87 I get pinning and cause engine damage. On top of that I don’t even make stock Hp.
My point that I am trying to show is in your comparison Engineers don’t design all engines the same on all types or we would only have one type of gas as the best and that’s it. There is a reason that engineers have a min and max for them. Also you have to take inconseration out side elements. If you get your tune done in Ohio at Brocks Performance. Then you take the same vehicle and gas to race at pikes peak the highest road in the USA it will fail and not run. The reason change in altitude ect that has a direct relation to efficacy of the vehicle. So you have to have another system with the tune that adjusts for the altitude and change in atmosphere. In the days of carborators you had to pull over and adjust it. Stock cars now will do it automatically. Remember that octane also changes when elevation changes.
Brock is good at what he does. If you want a clear definitive answer for this take your Ducati 959 to him have him do the same test on his dyno then you will have a base line for Ducati in Ohio elevation. But you can’t compare it to Suzuki it has to be compared to a Ducati. On top of that in the last video you showed of Brock he even says that it has a power commander it’s a drag bike look at the rear wheel, it’s a Suzuki that Brock is a master with. It also has a map on it probably from Brock that he automatically puts the 89 in it. He recommends and has proven on Suzuki’s he had better results with 89. That does not hold true with all engines, all bikes, all maps, all areas. Ect. Dedicated off road vehicles can use different fuel as they do not have to meet environment standards as well.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
All I stated was Brock Davidson's quote about what pump gas makes most power. True, he works mostly on Suzuki's, Kawas and BMW S1000RR and not on Ducati.
As America's top tuner and drag racing record holder, perhaps his experience is wrong, not applicable to Ducatis and your opinion is right.
Perhaps Ducati's run better on Puttanesca sauce? I know I do, especially with Grappa additive.
I'm just the messenger. People can make their own decisions.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts