Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing the exhaust myself and having the dealer load the map. Question is: Does the map need to be loaded PRIOR to the exhaust install? Or, can I install the exhaust at home first and then bring the bike to the dealer for the map install? The Akra instructions that came with the system don't reference the map install and I've heard error codes are possible if not done in the correct order.
Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a full Akra and running around no map as Ducati apparently haven't released a map for the new ecu software matched with a full system.

Still waiting for my dealer to confirm here in AUS from 4 weeks ago

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does your bike run without the map for the Akra's? Have you noticed any down side effects? Seems like it would be running lean?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm probably used to it now but sometimes I get a flat spot here and there

The dealer said it won't do any damage but no power gains

·
Registered
63 Posts
All good mate. I installed my Akra's, then rode to the dealer.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a full Akra and running around no map as Ducati apparently haven't released a map for the new ecu software matched with a full system.

Still waiting for my dealer to confirm here in AUS from 4 weeks ago
Do you have the DP kit?
Ducati 1299 & 959 Panigale Akrapovic Full Exhaust 96480761B

The 959 should have an Race and EVO map on the ECU which the upmap key unlocks.

The 899 did not have an EVO map and could not benefit from a full system without a tune or RapidBike, however they were to have changed that with the 959.

The ECU should contain all three maps just as they do on the 1299. The upmap would then unlock the appropriate map for the kit installed.

Did you replaced the filter at the same time?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes I have the DP but that suited the old software that didn't start the bikes. They have released new software that fixes the starting issue but according to my local dealer the race and evo map do not work on the new software.

I personally don't believe that but they aren't willing to load it so it's hard to argue.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The 959 should have an Race and EVO map on the ECU which the upmap key unlocks.

The ECU should contain all three maps just as they do on the 1299. The upmap would then unlock the appropriate map for the kit installed.
FYI, the above contradicts what my dealer's Ducati master mechanic (and good friend) told me about current upmaps.

The race map does not reside on the ECU. The key unlocks the download process from Ducati's website where the race map replaces the stock map on the ECU. The stock map is then saved on the key.

·
Registered
439 Posts
FYI, the above contradicts what my dealer's Ducati master mechanic (and good friend) told me about current upmaps.

The race map does not reside on the ECU. The key unlocks the download process from Ducati's website where the race map replaces the stock map on the ECU. The stock map is then saved on the key.
Quite honestly, I have a difficult time believing this is correct, but I don't doubt that this was something you were told.

The reason for my skepticism is that the Mitsubishi ECU is capable of storing multiple fuel maps and several can be loaded at once by using an aftermarket tuning device and software (Tunebox, Rexxer, etc) which can then be changed using an attached switch or even the stock buttons already installed. I wouldn't be surprised if the DDS routinely checks and attempts to identify an updated map already downloaded on to the system and replace what is already loaded on the ECU in the appropriate slot, such as an updated stock map to the stock table, or a RACE map to the RACE table.

It would be an inefficient use, or more accurately - waste, of resources to not deliver all the software preloaded by the factory and then just check for updates to certain areas of the module than to leave entire areas of memory blank and unload one map to replace it with another... what a significant waste of time.

I am certainly interested in checking into this and will likely give AMS a call sometime next week to find out. I would hate to be passing around false information.

In fact, the BMW used to have a separate RACE ECU that you would purchase and install similar to the Siemens Monster ECU, however they abandoned this approach and went with the Ducati method after the 1199 was released. The 2017 ECU can hold 5 very elaborate maps with multiple variations to the AFR depending on gearing, traction control, and ABS.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
@sinjin
About the map not residing on the ECU and downloaded using the key: All I can say is that's what I have been told.

One clue that seems to align itself with the download story is that maps are exhaust specific:
I.E. European stock, European homologated slip-on, European non-homologated slip-on, European full race etc.
They can't all reside on the ECU, or can they?
Are the upmap key part numbers all the same or exhaust unit "model" specific?
Does the tech specify on his DDA software what exhaust is being installed on the bike?
The answer to these and other questions would go a long way to help solve the inconsistencies in the stories.
Sure would be nice to know the facts.

On that note, there's lots of info, (facts and conjuncture) about re-maps on the Monster forum as nearly every other owner replaces their stock exhaust as those systems are much cheaper and more prevalently available than Panigales.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-1200/328674-termi-slip-map-meant-say-racing.html

·
Registered
439 Posts
@sinjin
About the map not residing on the ECU and downloaded using the key: All I can say is that's what I have been told.

One clue that seems to align itself with the download story is that maps are exhaust specific:
I.E. European stock, European homologated slip-on, European non-homologated slip-on, European full race etc.
They can't all reside on the ECU, or can they?
Are the upmap key part numbers all the same or exhaust unit "model" specific?
Does the tech specify on his DDA software what exhaust is being installed on the bike?
The answer to these and other questions would go a long way to help solve the inconsistencies in the stories.
Sure would be nice to know the facts.

On that note, there's lots of info, (facts and conjuncture) about re-maps on the Monster forum as nearly every other owner replaces their stock exhaust as those systems are much cheaper and more prevalently available than Panigales.

Termi Slip On Map - Meant to say Racing? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
The European slip on doesn't require or ship with an upmap key as it still has the cats and the flow is unchanged. The only difference between the stock and the Euro Akrapovic slip on is the sound and titanium for shaving a little weight.
Akrapovi? approved silencers. - Ducati Superbike Accessories

I am not aware of any specific European non-homologated slip on besides the underbelly Akrapovic kit and there wouldn't be any difference anyway if you were removing the cats. The same goes for the full exhaust... there isn't one with any different specs than what is available globally and it would replace the headers with larger diameter headers and the exhaust would be the same without the cats. I expect this is why there are so many questions on here about replacing the Euro exhaust with the underbelly kit and having to change out the lower fairing.

It seems to me that if you have 3 maps, stock, RACE, and EVO and the only difference between the stock exhaust is a belly kit with cats and a Euro kit with cats and perhaps a little more extensive sound and emissions proofing, you still wouldn't need more than 3 maps. You may need two different stock maps, but the RACE and EVO maps would be fairly consistent. One with the stock US header for slip ons and one with the full header.

Check out the exhaust accessories on the Ducati UK website. The only different kit is the legal Akrapovic

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
@sinjin
You may be correct but it's still all up in the air.
Other than what I've been told and thinking outside the Panigale box, the Monsters have 4 maps where the start-up displays shows as follows:

Exhaust ---------------------Start-Up Display

Stock----------------------------------Blank
Homologated Termi slip-On:---- Sport
Racing Termi Slip-On:-------------Racing
Full System Racing Termis:------Racing EVO

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
@sinjin
You may be correct but it's still all up in the air.
Other than what I've been told and thinking outside the Panigale box, the Monsters have 4 maps where the start-up displays shows as follows:

Exhaust ---------------------Start-Up Display

Stock----------------------------------Blank
Homologated Termi slip-On:---- Sport
Racing Termi Slip-On:-------------Racing
Full System Racing Termis:------Racing EVO
The Monster mapping has certainly become far more sophisticated since having owned mine. The 796 had a slip on option only and used the stock headers. The installed ECU was made by Siemens and to change the maps, it required replacing the entire unit. As a result, it would display DP.

·
Registered
30 Posts
good day. I am wanting the full akrapovic titanium system. I currently have the slip on, it came with the bike. I can get the headers for roughly 1800 but I am curious as to how much extra power or torque comes from this system, also weight shedding from stock. If anyone knows this info I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
good day. I am wanting the full akrapovic titanium system. I currently have the slip on, it came with the bike. I can get the headers for roughly 1800 but I am curious as to how much extra power or torque comes from this system, also weight shedding from stock. If anyone knows this info I would greatly appreciate it.
If you remove the exhaust valve from your stock "Y" pipe you will have the essentially same flow as the titanium headers. Consequently, the titanium headers would provide very little power gains if any at all over what you currently have. Benefit comes from weight loss and aesthetics. Moreover, most of the weight reduction is in replacing the stock canisters which you already have. Although there is some weigh reduction available by changing just the headers, it wouldn't be considerable as the stock headers alone don't weight that much. Notwithstanding, your wallet will be considerably lighter.

Reactions: wxwax

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do we know the weight savings of removing the servo motor for the valve? Wondering if it's worth my time. I already unhooked the cable but I haven't found any walkthroughs on removing the motor

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Do we know the weight savings of removing the servo motor for the valve? Wondering if it's worth my time. I already unhooked the cable but I haven't found any walkthroughs on removing the motor
The servo motor is very light. I have a brand new one still in the box and I doubt it weights more than 3 oz, box and all.
Remove it only if either you're bored silly or that you're working on something in that area of the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts