Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gas light has been discussed in several different forums how it comes on and goes off a couple of times before you actually run out of gas. I've been averaging about 40mpg, I know that from what the bike tells me and from my actual calculations. So with that in mind, the tank is 4.5 gallons so should be good for about 180 miles. When the gas light come on at 80 miles I ignored it...until i was 96 miles in on a full tank and I ran out of gas. Luckily I was near a gas station and was able to borrow a 2.5 gallon jug of gas to get me going again. To my surprise, that jug actually filled up the gas tank completely. Actually that makes sense, 40mph x 2.5 gallons = 100 miles. But shouldn't it take 4.5 gallons to fill the tank? Am I missing something here?

Btw it's a 2017 959 with 500 miles on it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The gas light has been discussed in several different forums how it comes on and goes off a couple of times before you actually run out of gas. I've been averaging about 40mpg, I know that from what the bike tells me and from my actual calculations. So with that in mind, the tank is 4.5 gallons so should be good for about 180 miles. When the gas light come on at 80 miles I ignored it...until i was 96 miles in on a full tank and I ran out of gas. Luckily I was near a gas station and was able to borrow a 2.5 gallon jug of gas to get me going again. To my surprise, that jug actually filled up the gas tank completely. Actually that makes sense, 40mph x 2.5 gallons = 100 miles. But shouldn't it take 4.5 gallons to fill the tank? Am I missing something here?

Btw it's a 2017 959 with 500 miles on it.
Not saying I don't believe you, but there has to be something else going on here.

There's a whole thread on it (How's your gas mileage?) with a ton of info.

Basically, average MPG is anywhere between 30-50. 3 gallon tank will net you anywhere between 90-150 miles to the tank. I personally have maxed out at 140, but felt very uncomfortable and knew my tank was basically bone dry. I average 130 miles per tank.

From the manual (page 34) said:
5) FUEL WARNING LIGHT (AMBER YELLOW).
Turns on when fuel is low and there are about 1.3 gallons (5 liters) of fuel left in the tank.
If you actually ran out of gas in your tank (assuming you don't have fuel pump issues or the starting problem some 959s have), there's no way 2.5 gallons of fuel would fill up the tank. Something just doesn't add up here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it's the fuel pump because I think I would've been able to start it after I put gas in. It doesn't add up

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I have my gas stops timed at 100 mile intervals just to be safe. I use the trip odometer to keep track.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you actually filling your tank all the way or do you leave some room? The shape of the gas tank puts a high volume of fuel near the top of the tank. When I got my 899 I had a similar issue (gas light comes on early), but once I realized I wasn't filling it all the way.... well, I no longer have that issue. Now I get 110-120 miles before the light comes on. I fill the tank until the gas leave is within a quater inch of the filler hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts