Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I did something, and now it’s been impossible to remove the shifter lever from the **** rod. I twisted jam bolt on shift rod to turn the gear shift lever to access small bolt in the back which I know had thread locker I heated the thing up with a small torch lighter and I could not get it off with Allen keys or rachet with Allen key. I’m pretty upset that Ducati has a bolt that doesn’t do much; tight and glued but it’s a weak bolt that I ended up stripping rounder then the planet earth.

Is there a way I could take off the gear shift lever and still use the bolt for new gear shift lever. Or would I have to take a drill bit to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk IMG_2138.jpg

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any suggestion boys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
The spherical rod end can be removed from the rod. The spherical rod end is not a hard to find item if it needs to be sacrificed. Just protect the rod itself.

https://www.grainger.com/category/s...s/bearings/power-transmission/ecatalog/N-171f

You can hold the rod in a vise or with pliers on the flat portion and remove the rod end.

If you cannot make that happen, a dremel type tool to cut a slit in the stripped bolt head that passes through the rod end, would be my next move.

If that does not work, drill out the stripped bolt.

Replace the bolt that is stripped with another that fits, I had to do that when I fitted aftermarket rear sets. It is just a simple bolt, nothing fancy there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spherical rod end can be removed from the rod. The spherical rod end is not a hard to find item if it needs to be sacrificed. Just protect the rod itself.

https://www.grainger.com/category/s...s/bearings/power-transmission/ecatalog/N-171f

You can hold the rod in a vise or with pliers on the flat portion and remove the rod end.

If you cannot make that happen, a dremel type tool to cut a slit in the stripped bolt head that passes through the rod end, would be my next move.

If that does not work, drill out the stripped bolt.

Replace the bolt that is stripped with another that fits, I had to do that when I fitted aftermarket rear sets. It is just a simple bolt, nothing fancy there.

I’ve read on some other forums post it’s reverse threaded but can confirm that it is or isn’t I’ve spun both counter clockwise and clockwise and didn’t budge.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
@Vicati - you won't be able to move the ball-end threaded rod until you loosen the nut that's tightened against the rod. I suggest you find the correct size open-end wrench to hold the rod with, then use an other wrench to loosen the nut. Then you'll be able to twist out the ball-end rod.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boys I got her done, since it was impossible to cut take off the bolt even with un screwing the Jam nut because of clearance and having broken shifter pedal hit the swing arm, I cut a slit through the middle as I was suggested and the bolt was on there TIGHT, THANKS DUCATI . But then I taught why not remove the gear shifter from the bolt instead, and without sacrificing anything else. And final result was successful, cut the shifter off By doing a cut under the bolt and over the bolt and aluminum lost its strength, Used the machine with a metal cutting tip at 1500 RPM-2000 RPM allowing bolt to be free and re used, I put the new shifter on and some blue lock tite. And good to go. I’m ready to ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts