Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone wants some info on how to keep the bike from burning the legs....I posted a quick video on what I did. Put on the 1299 carbon fiber heat shield. Problem fixed.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm surprised you picked the 1299 carbon heat shield.
Was that because you haven't found an appropriate after-market one designed for the 959?
I'm genuinely interested as I find the stock heat shield rather bland but don't want to diminish its heat shielding properties with an inferior Non-OEM piece.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm surprised you picked the 1299 carbon heat shield.
Was that because you haven't found an appropriate after-market one designed for the 959?
I'm genuinely interested as I find the stock heat shield rather bland but don't want to diminish its heat shielding properties with an inferior Non-OEM piece.
The Oem piece doesn't do what it's intended to in any case in terms of heat shielding lol

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The Oem piece doesn't do what it's intended to in any case in terms of heat shielding lol
Yes, but you replaced the 959 OEM with another OEM, the one from a 1299.

My question was: Wasn't there anything available in after-market parts that would do the job and fit without cutting?
Or
Did you just happen to have an 1299 OEM accessible and installed that one?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, but you replaced the 959 OEM with another OEM, the one from a 1299.

My question was: Wasn't there anything available in after-market parts that would do the job and fit without cutting?
Or
Did you just happen to have an 1299 OEM accessible and installed that one?
Plenty available - he must have had access to it or prefers Oem alternatives I'm not sure,

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ilmberger appears to have a ceramic heat shield that I expect would do a remarkable job.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
That raises the question, why Ducati hasn't done that? Can't be that expensive?

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I guess it revolves around if you want farkle or function. Ilmberger doesn't mention anything about better heat shielding nor do they show the ceramic feature or any description to that effect. Notwithstanding, I'm not sold on the 1299 OEM being better at shielding heat either. If that was the magic elixir, Ducati would have made it available for the 959. Any bike with an exhaust running up your wazoo is going to be hot without wind dispersing the heat.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
From what I recall the 1199 shield won't fit on the 959 without being heavily modified, IE - not worth the work to make it fit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I guess it revolves around if you want farkle or function. Ilmberger doesn't mention anything about better heat shielding nor do they show the ceramic feature or any description to that effect. Notwithstanding, I'm not sold on the 1299 OEM being better at shielding heat either. If that was the magic elixir, Ducati would have made it available for the 959. Any bike with an exhaust running up your wazoo is going to be hot without wind dispersing the heat.
Seat heat is very noticeable but the exhaust is only 1 part of the problem. The fact that the subframe is linked to the head for me personally is more of an issue.

I got burnt inner thighs last week from my ride in 28 degree Celcius temps. I didn't notice at first until I was sitting watching TV and I threw a pair of shorts on and thought my legs felt a bit sore. I saw some decent redness and welts. Iced it up and it went away the next day.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
@Decz05
The DP racing seat does help. However, all I can tell you is that using the following pants:
Rev'it Gear 2 leather/mesh
Rev'it Seatle riding jeans
I have never had a heat issue whatsoever even in 34 degree Celsius.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts