Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

Getting a ¨17 959

9K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  dougo1199 
#1 ·
Hi guys!
Been looking around and finally decided the 959 was the bike for me.
The only thing that worried me was the heat, I know its been talked about alot, and I think Ive read every post.

One question, today I went to the dealership and when I was looking at the bike noticed that there is a steel plate below the plastic frame cover, and then i could see some what it looks like thermal tape covering the back of the plastic frame cover...
My question is, did you guys get that on your bikes as well? Or is Ducati doing this on the ¨17s modelo to control the heat?

Thank you very much for all your help!

#3 ·
I don't have any heat tape on mine. I think the whole heat thing is over hyped. I live in Southern Alabama its hot here and I ride almost everyday of the year. I do all kinds of riding. If you want supreme comfort look elsewhere, but that can't be what you're looking for if you want a Panigale so you're in the right place. If you really can't stand a bit of warmth and love wearing daisy dukes when you ride I am sure some combination of extra heat tape in places, some carbon covers, new exhaust or a more rich tune would get you where you need to be. The bike is fantastic in showroom configuration though so have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
Since spring has finally come into full swing in the northeast I have put another 1,200 miles on the bike and have been playing around a little bit with my seating position, it can drastically change how warm I feel.

I contributed to the original heat post having earned a quarter sized blister on my second ride out. Now I have no discomfort at all, but I can also give myself a "warm up" on early morning rides.

With the stock EBC setting the engine braking is pretty aggressive, when I first went out I found myself gripping the tank with my knees in a full forward position just to be prepared for the off-throttle deceleration.

When you grip the bike like that it must block some cooling air around the surfaces between the tank/seat/frame. I find that closing my knees will quickly warm up my upper/inner thigh. Once I feel warm I can back off the tank a little bit and open my knees, or start practicing my turning body position (one cheek off the side of the seat), and the heat quickly dissipates.

Hope this helps!

(Edit; Kinda funny, look at the graphic in the banner, the guy in the track suit, nice and cool, the dude in black, on his way to warming up the nuggets!)

#9 · (Edited)
@Gregmtz
What @MotoMillion wrote is absolutely correct. 1) you must wear proper leathers and 2) ride at 60mph or more.
The engine runs hot (as all racebikes do) but the exhaust configuration of the Panigale magnifies the heat at low speed.
If you're thinking of using it in the city and/or in traffic you should test ride other choices also prior to pulling the trigger.

Reactions: Gregmtz
#10 · (Edited)
I really do not have any problems with the heat. I bought my 959 just last week, so might not have enough time in the sattle yet. I would not worry too much about it. Remember: its still a super sport bike. It will not be comfy at all to begin with :)

Reactions: Gregmtz
#13 ·
I really do not have any problems with the heat until now. I bought my 959 just last week, so might not have enough time on the sattle yet. I would not worry too much about it. Remember: its still a super sport bike. It will not be comfy at all to begin with :)
Just as a reminder, the first photo is a supersport, the latter is a racebike.

Attachments

#14 ·
or just remove sport...

superbike

#15 ·
To add on to what everyone else has said, if you haven't bought it already, go find a dealer that will let you test out one of their demo bikes. That HUGE thread you probably have read through has the whole spectrum of experiences, but ultimately, go out and test ride one and find out for yourself. A quick 15-30 minute ride will tell you everything you need to know about the heat and how much you personally can tolerate it.

I personally took off all my heat shielding parts (well, the head covers and the rear pipe shield) and I still have no problems with heat.

#22 ·
Howdy , **** the 959 is a race bike in race mode. I suggest you wear what the pros wear . If you buy the bike . It gets hot .
The first month mine felt uncomfortable as Mr. Pascal describes , my wrists were getting sore after an hour riding . Took my Panigale to Desmoto in SF for first service, had them set the sag for my weight . I also adjusted clutch and brake levers as far forward as possible . Put some nice tank grip pads on I do not find it uncomfortable now at all . It`s a joy to ride, once your tipped into a turn getting ready to fire out of that turn you don`t feel any heat anyway. Btw the red ones faster . Enjoy your new bike , it a piece of art that is fun as **** to ride .

#24 ·
Howdy , **** the 959 is a race bike in race mode. I suggest you wear what the pros wear...
Yes, as the name implies - Panigale Superbike - I wear Lucky jeans and have no issues.

... Btw the red ones faster...
Not True - the Arctic White Silk is faster from the matte clearcote. The matte clearcote acts as a "turbulence disturbance" similar to what a raised panel does on a fixed wing or heli rotor blade, it allows the air to flow and roll smooth over the surface and doesn't "catch" it like the Red Panigale does.
:nerd: Nice try!
:grin2:

#26 ·
Prop gas tank up and remove seat. That gets you access to the subframe where you can get access to 2 plastic push pins that you need to take off from the tail (accessible when seat is off) and the 4 or 6 bolts that you need to take the subframe cover off. The the head covers are just attached via sliding tabs on the subframe covers.

Removing gas tank would make it super simple, but I had no problems just propping it up. I feel like it was that simple, I don't remember anything other than that, but I also did it while taking the rear exhaust pipe off, so I might have had more off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.