Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies and gents,

This is the last day I will have ownership of my 959.

I was going to race my 959, but after my novice season or stint I will be bumped to Amateur, which I am already running in their times. The Amateur group pace is very fast, esp when you get to the top 1/3 of the group, and a 959 will not be very competitive against full liter bikes at the track I will be running at.
I am trading my 959 in tomorrow for a 2015 1199R.
Pretty pumped as it is a brand new leftover and is 8k off the original retail price!!!!
I am sad to let it go as it is my first Ducati and I learned a lot on this bike.
I was going to spend the money on exhaust, suspension, ect but didn't see the point in putting that much money in a bike that will still be inferior to a bike I can purchase at less the expense of modifying the 959.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't say outgrew.
Two seasons on the bike, 6 seasons on the track.
Once you get into a certain pace power becomes a variable.
I can be faster on this bike (obviously)
To run with the Amateurs in LRRS I can use all the help I can get.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well that’s the problem isn’t it. The smaller displacement bikes usually don’t have forged aluminum rims, up/down quick shift, ohlins etc. Ultimately it is way cheaper just to get a bigger bike even if you prefer the smaller displacement.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
As a fun "non-competition" trackbike, the 959 is worth putting a few thousands in suspension works.
However, if literbike power is what you seek, then there's nothing you can do with the 959.
As the saying goes; "There's no replacement for displacement".

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See you out there this spring!! 1199 R is supposed to be a handful, looking forward to hearing about it the transition.
Yes, if it is anything like the 1299R I have will hit like a heart attack.
The FE was amazing on corner entry and stability though.
The brakes were breathtaking as well.
I would imagine this machine will be much like that, but weighs 20 lbs. less that the 1299rFE

What I did like about the 959 was it was controllable power, I am not sure if I can grab a handful of throttle and call it controlled with the bigger Panigales

Unfortunately the 959 does not fit into the categories that they designate this bike into.
The 959 does make a great track bike. For competing you are in a disadvantage in the organization I am in.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes, if it is anything like the 1299R I have will hit like a heart attack.
The FE was amazing on corner entry and stability though.
The brakes were breathtaking as well.
I would imagine this machine will be much like that, but weighs 20 lbs. less that the 1299rFE

What I did like about the 959 was it was controllable power, I am not sure if I can grab a handful of throttle and call it controlled with the bigger Panigales

Unfortunately the 959 does not fit into the categories that they designate this bike into.
The 959 does make a great track bike. For competing you are in a disadvantage in the organization I am in.
thats right I forgot you have the FE!!!! you didnt want to turn that into a track bike?

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I would have kept the 959 for backroad fun, great bike for that venue; but true, when the pace gets high it doesn't have the cajones to run with the big dogs.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Losing contact is the problem with model specific forums.
Are you a member of more general Ducati forums ?

For example, I can be found on these and a few others as well.
www.ducati.ms
www.ducati.org
ducatiforum.com
Yes I am on the Ducati Forum.
Trust me I wish I could just keep the 959, but with the 1199r and the 1299rFE the 959 was squeezed to the side.
My Username is 1299rFE

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sucks to hear you're leaving the 959 family, especially since I haven't seen other 959 owners in the northeast region on this forum. Life moves on to bigger and better things, enjoy the upgrade! Maybe I'll run into you on a track day.
I do a lot of track days, ill still be on this forum, I run with Penguin Racing School for most of my track days. I do also run with other organizations as well. Hit me up, Ill post my "expected" schedule for next season. I always add some days on and change them also :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sucks to hear you're leaving the 959 family, especially since I haven't seen other 959 owners in the northeast region on this forum. Life moves on to bigger and better things, enjoy the upgrade! Maybe I'll run into you on a track day.
MA 959 owner represent!

Reactions: tymoto99

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello ladies and gents,

This is the last day I will have ownership of my 959.

I was going to race my 959, but after my novice season or stint I will be bumped to Amateur, which I am already running in their times. The Amateur group pace is very fast, esp when you get to the top 1/3 of the group, and a 959 will not be very competitive against full liter bikes at the track I will be running at.
I am trading my 959 in tomorrow for a 2015 1199R.
Pretty pumped as it is a brand new leftover and is 8k off the original retail price!!!!
I am sad to let it go as it is my first Ducati and I learned a lot on this bike.
I was going to spend the money on exhaust, suspension, ect but didn't see the point in putting that much money in a bike that will still be inferior to a bike I can purchase at less the expense of modifying the 959.
Happy for you man. The 959 is an awesome bike but you are moving into the big leagues with that 1199R for sure haha. I hope you crush those 1000cc Japanese bikes with your new ride!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts