Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone can shed some light on this. I happen to come across a video on you tube and noticed something I had not seen before and curious if this is custom made by the user or if this is available in the market.

I was searching for options on mounting gopro or iphone. I've seen some of the options posted on here, but this one caught my eye of where it was mounted at. Not sure I would have it setup like this personally, but just toying around the idea of combing something for my cell and gopro adapter that would not be sticking up as high as this camera, but would be a nice view for the gopro.

Here's a screenshot of the setup and the video where it came from. Any ideas what mount is bolted to the ignition and where to get it?

I've Google for it and so far no luck. I posted a comment on video hoping to get info on it.

https://youtu.be/GlRrtEHSPTE

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
All he did was put spacers in place for the top 2 bolts that hold the plastic Key cover on. Pull out one bolt, measure it, head to your local hobby store and buy some aluminum round in the diameter that 's bigger than the bolt, cut it to size and paint it - you're done! Then you have to make the CF piece that holds the rig in place.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All he did was put spacers in place for the top 2 bolts that hold the plastic Key cover on. Pull out one bolt, measure it, head to your local hobby store and buy some aluminum round in the diameter that 's bigger than the bolt, cut it to size and paint it - you're done! Then you have to make the CF piece that holds the rig in place.

Yup that sounds right.... Found a discussion on this. People are making their own it appears.

Images from this discussion...
http://ducati1299.com/ducati-1299/26150-gopro-mount.html

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
all that sticker work and he didn't remove the reflectors from the front forks...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all that sticker work and he didn't remove the reflectors from the front forks...

I just noticed it after you mentioned it LOL. None the less, I like some of the ideas.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Found this on eBay, no longer available but gives you an idea of how easy this would be to make.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, it's definitely something to look into. Do you have a link to the eBay find. Maybe we can contact the seller and inquire.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
the toughest part is getting the cf sheet and cutting the shape, if that's even necessary - you can do it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the toughest part is getting the cf sheet and cutting the shape, if that's even necessary - you can do it!

I found an easy alternative and low profile. I'm heading to bed... Got to be up at 5am. But I'll get pictures posted. I'm curious how it will work. I may need to trim a bit, not sure yet... But it's more than snug I think.

I'll update this soon with pics. It was about $14.

·
Registered
131 Posts

I have modified carbon fiber before and it pretty easy to work with. I'd like to actually get the fabric and resin but we shall see.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
...I'd like to actually get the fabric and resin but we shall see.
that adds 100% more complexity to the project that's really not warranted IMO - it's too messy and you'd spend 50x more for the part after having to buy the fabric and materials

·
Registered
131 Posts
that adds 100% more complexity to the project that's really not warranted IMO - it's too messy and you'd spend 50x more for the part after having to buy the fabric and materials

I want to try custom forming some carbon fiber parts... just to see how it goes. I agree if the ultimate goal was just to make this then it would be a giant waste of time and money.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I want to try custom forming some carbon fiber parts... just to see how it goes. I agree if the ultimate goal was just to make this then it would be a giant waste of time and money.

I've done some composite manufacturing, definitely tough learning curve for vacuum forming methods. Pre-preg composites are probably the easiest way to get a good result, just need a way to bake it though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've done some composite manufacturing, definitely tough learning curve for vacuum forming methods. Pre-preg composites are probably the easiest way to get a good result, just need a way to bake it though.

Good looking out... I'd love to give this a shot but with all my other priorities it probably won't happen soon. There's a local shop that sells supplies so I'll probably go chat with them about it sometime.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So this is what I went with. I have not been able to test it on the bike due to weather. I bought a 2nd version which mounts to dash for my Police cruiser. I've been using it in my patrol car for a few days and I've responded to a few emergency calls requiring quick turns, clearing over rough railroad tracks and the phone did not move. The magnet feels pretty strong and I thing it will work perfectly fine. Until I take it out on the bike I will not be able to give the 100% assurance.

I'm using the iphone 7+ which is the larger phone and I can turn wheel as far left and far right with a 1/4 inch clearance from phone touching anything on both sides.

Fitting. The magnet part has 4 pieces of rubber that combines create a cone shape from small to wider. It may require a little shaving of the rubber to completely get entire mount in the hole between the forks. There is also an adhesive available to peel off so once it is in it will not come out. Without shaving any of the rubber and really pushing this piece in... I don't thing it will come out on its own. But if you want the extra assurance you may want to shave some of the rubber and use the adhesive.

I got this at Walmart for like $14. The nice thing about it is that they make other mounts that use magnet and I have one in my personal car and one in my patrol car and the one on the bike and I can secure my phone where ever I go in these vehicles.

Just thought I would share my findings. I'll update this once I get bike out for a test... Not sure when that will be as winter has arrived in Ohio.

Some pics of my setup....

NOTE... I did NOT place the metal thin adhesive between Phone and case as in picture. Mine was placed directly on outside of case to have strongest connection with magnet.

This is the non-magnetic part that goes on your phone case... Very thin piece and barely noticeable.

The magnetic part already placed in the hole between the forks.

This is with the phone case on the magnet. Wheel is turned to the far left and has about 1/4 inch clearance with an iPhone 7+.

Here is the other mount I have placed in my patrol car and it has held the phone in place quite well. My phone use to slide around all over the place when I responded to an emergency and with this little mount I don't have to search for my phone under the seat or floorboards.

I'm happy so far. The moment of truth will be the panigale test once I can get it outside.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Top notch for the low profile given the location. Please keep us posted on the magnetic strength of the set-up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I tried this with the same brand of mount on my fz and it was a no go. I had it at more of an angle but the bike vibrates so much more than a car.

Fwiw I have this mount in my car and have made very aggressive maneuvers and it does not budge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts