Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! new to the forum and have been lurking. Currently on a '15 Monster 821 Stripe and considering taking the plunge on a 959.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Quite a different beast, but I'm sure you'd like it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quite a different beast, but I'm sure you'd like it.

Definitely different! I grew up on various types of bikes and I just got back in the game a little over a year ago (from a 10 year absence) with the Monster. I've outgrown it and need something a little snappier. In retrospect, I should have done it to begin with, but I can't change that now. Want to make sure I make the right decision now...is the 959 enough, or should I consider the 1299? Does anyone with the 959 think they should have gone for the 1299?

Not much, if any, track use expected.

·
Registered
110 Posts
is the 959 enough, or should I consider the 1299?

Anecdotally on the forums, I've heard guys preferring the 959 outside of the track. When I test rode a Monster 1200 vs the 959, I thought the 959 was more fun - a very visceral feeling.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Definitely different! I grew up on various types of bikes and I just got back in the game a little over a year ago (from a 10 year absence) with the Monster. I've outgrown it and need something a little snappier. In retrospect, I should have done it to begin with, but I can't change that now. Want to make sure I make the right decision now...is the 959 enough, or should I consider the 1299? Does anyone with the 959 think they should have gone for the 1299?

I would definitely recommend the 959 over the 1299 for street use. I considered both and my friend bought a 1299 S the same day I bought my 959.

I paid $15k. He paid $25k. To me the extra power, little drop in weight, clutch less downshifts, upgraded components, and sssa looks were not worth that much more. Also, my 959 is much better if you ever get stuck in stop and go traffic.

I would say test drive both of them. I have taken my 959 on the track about 8 times this year. I have gotten to the point where it would be nice to have that extra HP. But I'm glad that I did not spend the extra $10k. And that extra HP can get us in trouble. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide. If you get the 959 and actually do outgrow it, you can always trade it in for a 1299 down the road.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
Are you going to ride predominantly on the track or are you looking for an all rounder bike? the 959 is better if you plan to ride both track and use it for commute.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts

If you're doing backroads/canyons etc. the 959 is all you need. It has more power than you can use in any situation on the road IMHO. I was in the same quandary as you and decided on the 959, no regrets. Up to about 100 mph, the 959 gives up nothing to the liter bikes, above 120 mph they may pull on you a bit but honestly, who does that kind of speed on the road and keeps his license?

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I agree with the consensus here. The 959 is the better choice for a street machine. The smooth engine characteristics work very well for street riding. The big bike would be too much work, IMO.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two words: Do It!
Well, I did it. She's amazing! Guys @ European Cycle Sports (especially Jason) treated me right, as always. Love the bike for the short time I've been able to ride it.

Pics in the next few weeks when I get some mods done.

Thanks all!
-Norm

Reactions: O_O and avigil

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, I did it. She's amazing! Guys @ European Cycle Sports (especially Jason) treated me right, as always. Love the bike for the short time I've been able to ride it.

Thanks all!
-Norm
Congrats, hope you get to enjoy it for many years!

·
Registered
123 Posts

Thanks all!
-Norm
Welcome to the club. I hope you enjoy your new bike.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the club. I hope you enjoy your new bike.
Thank you! Only about 100 miles in, but loving it already. Looking forward to getting my fender eliminator kit in soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts