Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the GP conversion with the OEM kit Ducati is selling? I just wanted to put this out there to save any of you looking to do this some grief. My plan was to be able to use the GP pattern while keeping my stock rearsets.

The kit includes a new shift knuckle and a jumper wire. Basically you just flip flop the shift knuckle from below the gear selector shaft to above the shaft. (as you would with most bikes) The replacement knuckle is narrower to allow clearance of the quick shift rod with the rearsets, and the jumper lead is supposed to reverse the pulse because the QS engages in the reverse direction.

The kit does not work with the 959 as we were informed by Ducati that it would! First clue was when I went to install the jumper wire and it was a 3 lead connection while the lead on the 959 is only a 2 wire connection. I was then told by Ducati that the jumper wire is not needed, which is definitely not the case. So at the moment I have a working GP shift pattern, but no QS capabilities. The kit Ducati is selling only works with the 1299 and not the 959 as stated. We are trying to get an answer from Ducati but as of today the word is it may require the replacement QS rod as is with past bikes. I've attached some pics for reference.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Dang.

Just ordered front sprocket today and almost nabbed that. Glad I didn't.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone tried the GP conversion with the OEM kit Ducati is selling? I just wanted to put this out there to save any of you looking to do this some grief. My plan was to be able to use the GP pattern while keeping my stock rearsets.

The kit includes a new shift knuckle and a jumper wire. Basically you just flip flop the shift knuckle from below the gear selector shaft to above the shaft. (as you would with most bikes) The replacement knuckle is narrower to allow clearance of the quick shift rod with the rearsets, and the jumper lead is supposed to reverse the pulse because the QS engages in the reverse direction.

The kit does not work with the 959 as we were informed by Ducati that it would! First clue was when I went to install the jumper wire and it was a 3 lead connection while the lead on the 959 is only a 2 wire connection. I was then told by Ducati that the jumper wire is not needed, which is definitely not the case. So at the moment I have a working GP shift pattern, but no QS capabilities. The kit Ducati is selling only works with the 1299 and not the 959 as stated. We are trying to get an answer from Ducati but as of today the word is it may require the replacement QS rod as is with past bikes. I've attached some pics for reference.
I was looking at the same thing yesterday since I stumbled over the Ducati Performance Reverse Gearchange Wiring on their website. The quick shifter on the 959 only allows for upshifts and hence requires a new quick shifter (push vs. pull). I fail to see how they would accomplish that without a new quick shifter...so the 899/959/1199 still require the Ducati Panigale Reverse Power Shifter (Art.: 96676410B).

Edit: And yes, the latter works with the 959... ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
It looks to me like you don't really even need that piece at all.

Just get the reverse shift rod as mentioned, flip the stock link and your set.

Maybe there's something wrong with your stock quickshift switch. I thought it was the same as the 1299 so would
work in both directions but the 959 doesn't use it on the down shift. I had my shift cut switch replaced on my 899
within the first 300 kms. Maybe if you fit the switch of the 1299 you wont need the reverse shift rod??????

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good to know. I initially wanted to use this kit but stumbled on a sale for Bonamici rearsets and went that route instead. Was able to do gp shift on the new rearsets and QS worked great.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info guys! Had I not put the GP rearsets on my 1199 I would have had to get the replacement QS rod. And at the time, Woodcraft were the only guys (besides DP) who had the reverse shift rearsets. When I ordered the 959 my dealer told me Ducati had come up with a cheaper conversion kit so I went that route. Now my thoughts are, if I'm going to have to spend $300 on the shift rod, maybe I just do resatsets instead?

@ASM - You are correct, push vs pull. I wondered how reversing the leads would make it work myself.

@Sqweegel - There is a clearance issue with the rearsets when using the stock QS rod so you need the modified shift knuckle. The issue with swapping the 1299 switch is that it's a 3 wire connection and the harness on the 959 is a two wire connection.

@illusions_Is - Where did you get the Bonamici rearsets?

·
Registered
47 Posts
QUOTE from dougo1199 :

@Sqweegel - There is a clearance issue with the rearsets when using the stock QS rod so you need the modified shift knuckle. The issue with swapping the 1299 switch is that it's a 3 wire connection and the harness on the 959 is a two wire connection.

Ah I see. Let us know when you get it sorted for reverse shift?

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update as of today: No official word on a fix from Ducati NA. The dealer (and myself) feel we will most likely have to get the reverse QS rod ($311) to make it work, but Ducati hasn't verified even that is 100% compatible with the 959. I am still contemplating going with GP rearsets allowing me to use the standard QS rod, but the one issue I forgot about is the need for the rear brake light sensor mount.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Update as of today: No official word on a fix from Ducati NA. The dealer (and myself) feel we will most likely have to get the reverse QS rod ($311) to make it work, but Ducati hasn't verified even that is 100% compatible with the 959. I am still contemplating going with GP rearsets allowing me to use the standard QS rod, but the one issue I forgot about is the need for the rear brake light sensor mount.
You can get the banjo brake pressure switch for about $20 shipped and works well. I did not get to ride the bike with the oem rearsets but I must say the standard QS with aftermarket rearsets shift butter smooth.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can get the banjo brake pressure switch for about $20 shipped and works well. I did not get to ride the bike with the oem rearsets but I must say the standard QS with aftermarket rearsets shift butter smooth.
Thanks!! That's good to know. I may end up going that route.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So my dealer has confirmed with Ducati the correct QS rod and "linkage" needed to convert to GP shift while using the stock rearsets. The parts are on order and I will post the part numbers once I have them. It appears most guys are going the route of replacing the rearsets as Ducati said there are 4 of us with this issue currently in north america.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so here is the correct QS part number for the GP shift conversion. Apparently you need to use the altered shift knuckle (which came in the fist kit) as well for clearance issues. See pics below.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry for my confusion after reading all the posts, but what parts does one need to convert to GP shift when using stock rear sets?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry for my confusion after reading all the posts, but what parts does one need to convert to GP shift when using stock rear sets?
As I mentioned in my first post (Ducati 959 Panigale Forum - View Single Post - GP Shift Conversion (OEM)), you need the Ducati Panigale Reverse Power Shifter (Art. #: 96676410B) as the OEM quick shifter only allows for pull operation.

The reverse shift knuckle coming with the kit for the 1299 is not needed as there isnt't really any clearance issue when using the OEM one.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As I mentioned in my first post (Ducati 959 Panigale Forum - View Single Post - GP Shift Conversion (OEM)), you need the Ducati Panigale Reverse Power Shifter (Art. #: 96676410B) as the OEM quick shifter only allows for pull operation.

The reverse shift knuckle coming with the kit for the 1299 is not needed as there isnt't really any clearance issue when using the OEM one.
Yep, that is the correct part number for the QS rod. I guessing you are using the stock knuckle? Can you post a pic of that? Just curious. I used the one from the kit as I had already installed it and it seems to fit really nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yep, that is the correct part number for the QS rod. I guessing you are using the stock knuckle? Can you post a pic of that? Just curious. I used the one from the kit as I had already installed it and it seems to fit really nice.
I figured you already had it on there as you started with the kit from the 1299...just wanted to point out that the Ducati Performance Reverse Gearchange Wiring isn't necessary for everyone starting to look into converting to GP shift.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I figured you already had it on there as you started with the kit from the 1299...just wanted to point out that the Ducati Performance Reverse Gearchange Wiring isn't necessary for everyone starting to look into converting to GP shift.
For sure! The jumper wiring is not needed as it only works with the 1299. The revised knuckle is recommend, but apparently not needed either. However, it does keep the QS rod nice and parallel to the linkage.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts