Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Grease B for rear wheel axle, what do you guys use?

I took off my rear wheel and probably need to grease up the axle to put it back on.

Manual states to use "Grease B - Shell Retinac HDX2 or Shell Gadius S2 V220 AD 2".

I am wondering what you guys use, I can find the Gadius on amazon but it would take a while to come in the mail. Are there any equal substitutions?

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
When you say "pin", are you referring to the axle? I always clean and apply a thin layer of grease on the axle and around the bearing seal each time I remove a wheel. I just use Bel-Ray waterproof grease. I've had no issues with it. The Shell products are what the factory uses, and not always available in the US.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say "pin", are you referring to the axle? I always clean and apply a thin layer of grease on the axle and around the bearing seal each time I remove a wheel. I just use Bel-Ray waterproof grease. I've had no issues with it. The Shell products are what the factory uses, and not always available in the US.
Yes I am referring to the rear wheel axle, my mistake.

Can you check the bottom two links and let me know if that's the stuff you use? I can't begin to tell you how helpful this is.

https://www.amazon.com/Bel-Ray-LEPAZA75696-Waterproof-Grease/dp/B0045L75M6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534268404&sr=8-1&keywords=belray+waterproof+grease

https://www.amazon.com/Bel-Ray-TRTC7156-Mc-11-Grease-Tub/dp/B009XITB8M

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
My guess it's probably the same product in different packaging. The Bel-Ray site shows the blue container as the axle grease if that's any help. I've had my tub for years so it looks different from both of those packages, but assuredly it's the same stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess it's probably the same product in different packaging. The Bel-Ray site shows the blue container as the axle grease if that's any help. I've had my tub for years so it looks different from both of those packages, but assuredly it's the same stuff.
Thank you so much! I'll get the bel-ray then.

If anyone sees this in the future please comment what you use, I'd like to leave the thread open.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I just use a bit of molybdenum grease which has some anti-seize in it.

Used it since my engine building days for basically all fasteners and generally stuff that doesn't move (ie. no use in high speed bearings).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just use a bit of molybdenum grease which has some anti-seize in it.

Used it since my engine building days for basically all fasteners and generally stuff that doesn't move (ie. no use in high speed bearings).
What brand?

·
Registered
892 Posts
No clue, just one off the auto parts shelf.

The purpose of the grease is simply to act as anti-seize (not allow corrosion to occur and cause seizing) and as a means for thread lubrication (so proper bolt preload is achieved, as opposed to thread friction throwing off the torque applied to the bolt).

You don't need anything special.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No clue, just one off the auto parts shelf.

The purpose of the grease is simply to act as anti-seize (not allow corrosion to occur and cause seizing) and as a means for thread lubrication (so proper bolt preload is achieved, as opposed to thread friction throwing off the torque applied to the bolt).

You don't need anything special.
Thank you so much! I was really overthinking it. I was thinking that the chemical should be perfect or else the high-speed turning will cause hot friction and eat-away the axle. But if it's purpose is mainly anti-seizing and thread lubrication then yeah I don't need anything special.

Thank you!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thank you so much! I was really overthinking it. I was thinking that the chemical should be perfect or else the high-speed turning will cause hot friction and eat-away the axle. But if it's purpose is mainly anti-seizing and thread lubrication then yeah I don't need anything special.

Thank you!
The axles on motorcycles are all non-rotational load bearing (excluding drive-shaft bikes) and are basically fixed bolts. High speed turning on a fixed bolt is bad as you can imagine, but that's why we have wheel ball bearings :grin2: Wheel bearings allow the wheel to spin.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The axles on motorcycles are all non-rotational load bearing (excluding drive-shaft bikes) and are basically fixed bolts. High speed turning on a fixed bolt is bad as you can imagine, but that's why we have wheel ball bearings :grin2: Wheel bearings allow the wheel to spin.
One more thing; should I clean the axle and the two spacers that come with it? The parts seem to have some black spots on them.

I also started cleaning the swingarm (since now is a good oppurtunity) and I noticed the two holes the axle goes through has some old grease on it. Is it okay to clean all these metal parts with kerosene? That's what I've been using but I also have original bike spirits & 91% isopropanol.

Here's an imgur link to give ya an idea: https://imgur.com/a/mb2TTAm

Also, this is all for an 899. Our forum doesn't get as much traffic lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
592 Posts
One more thing; should I clean the axle and the two spacers that come with it? The parts seem to have some black spots on them.

I also started cleaning the swingarm (since now is a good oppurtunity) and I noticed the two holes the axle goes through has some old grease on it. Is it okay to clean all these metal parts with kerosene? That's what I've been using but I also have original bike spirits & 91% isopropanol.

Here's an imgur link to give ya an idea: https://imgur.com/a/mb2TTAm

Also, this is all for an 899. Our forum doesn't get as much traffic lol
Looks like normal wear and tear to me, not corrosion. I have similar imperfections on my axles. You can just wipe them clean with a rag, or use a solvent like alcohol or kerosene. Dry well then apply a thin layer of anti seize or the equivalent on the axle. I use grease (sparingly) on the threads as well. I would not grease the outside of the spacers. Being exposed they will attract dirt. Wipe the exposed threads clean after retorquing the axle bolt.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yeah I just wipe them with a rag just so there's not extra wear and tear from having dirt. You don't have to completely degrease it or remove any corrosion, just get the junk out that will damage the threads or the axle.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I always give all the surrounding parts / areas a good cleaning whenever I remove a wheel. Just be sure and re-apply fresh grease / lube where necessary. I use Super Clean with an electric toothbrush to clean, then I rinse with Dawn dish soap and water mixed in a spray bottle.

There are a ton of cleaning products on the market.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
I always give all the surrounding parts / areas a good cleaning whenever I remove a wheel. Just be sure and re-apply fresh grease / lube where necessary. I use Super Clean with an electric toothbrush to clean, then I rinse with Dawn dish soap and water mixed in a spray bottle.

There are a ton of cleaning products on the market.
WOW. I have never thought of using an electric toothbrush. Great idea!

What I do every 3-5k (depending how long my tires last lol):

Disassemble everything, dip a brush in kerosene and brush it over all the greasy disgusting parts and then either rinse the kerosene off with a hose or wipe with a rag. Also for the smaller bits if you pour kerosene in a jar (think Smuckers jelly), you can just drop them in and swish them around then pick them out after. I run a rag inside the wheel bearing seals to clean them out. I just use kerosene bc I got sick of dealing with grease smearing onto everything and getting stuck in my wash brushes and mits. (it's also how I clean my rear wheel)

I re-grease everything with normal run of the mill marine grease (waterproof) available at any autoparts store. I just have a grease gun with it in it and spread it onto the axle (THIN), all of the seals, and the cush drive pins using just my fingers.

Keep in mind there doesn't need to be a TON of grease on the axle, most of it will get pushed out when you put the axle in. That's another thing--after mounting the wheel, go back and wipe off the grease that has collected near the end of the axle--inside by the fork bottom. It'll be one less place to attract dust/debris/dirt.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you so much guys!

I am still in the process of cleaning the swingarm. The previous owner of this bike put on so much chain wax, it's almost impossible to get it all off. I'll wipe away with kerosene and then still get black on the paper towel. Rinse and repeat and still black on paper towel. (I took off my muffler too and got some kerosene inside the exhaust collector, hope that's okay.)

So I haven't had a chance to apply the lube yet but when I do I'll be sure to follow all your advice. Thank you so much for all the help!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts