Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone. I have been riding for 6 years now and am looking to get my hands on a middleweight. Will probably be used for 25% commuting, 50% twisties and 25% track. I am curently torn between Daytona 675R and 959. I tested out both of them and it was a bit of a wash. 959 obviously has the power, looks and electronics but the Daytona just felt so well sorted out and confident. Any thoughts? Has anyone had any experience with these two bikes they can share?

Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've spent some time on the 675. I thought it was meh for me. Nothing wrong with it, it just didn't inspire me. I will say that if you're not used to riding twins, you'll feel the smoothness of the 3 pot a bit more familiar. In terms of power, that's easy, the 959 would probably crush the 675 in race mode on a track but most of us don't live on tracks. I don't think the clunky nature of twins make them great around town traffic bikes. That has improved with this super Q engine but it still likes to be over 4000 rpm.

Ride them both again if you can and which ever one suits your size and riding style go with. Both are great bikes. The Ducati will be more raw, it'll be faster and you'll get a TON of attention on it from just about everyone. The 675 will be smoother, cooler (temp in traffic) and more well behaved at anything under "going to jail" speeds. I don't use my bike for anything other than play so the roughness of it is something I adore. It's also not my first Ducati so I'm well adjusted to the behavior of twins, they're not for everyone I can promise you. Both are excellent options, the choice is between something that is more focused, raw and has character in abundance vs the 675's more livable character for mixed riding.

Finally I'll say that in the looks department, the Ducati is clearly the winner.

When you rode the 959 what mode was it in? I recently saw a review online and it turns out the guy was riding in WET mode. It makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So 25% work, 75% play? I'd say go for the 959 since the majority of the time you'll be using it for would be recreational.

I can't speak from the 675R side of things, but I've been riding a GSXR600 since 2008 and just recently took a test ride on a 959 and with full confidence I'd pick the 959 due to the electronic package, character, and it seemed extremely planted when I was taking it through a winding road.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
You plan to track 1:1 with days commuting?

Can we trade lives?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How else do you get to the track? ;)

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! I am going back to the dealer this weekend to try the 959 again.

I admittedly did not check the riding mode but knowing the dealer well it was likley not in wet mode. The thing that irked me the most about the 959 was the heat even though it was probably only 65 outside. I found myself not putting my right leg down at stops just to avoid it. I may be moving to SoCal soon where this could be more of a nuissance. Has there been any consensus on a way to minimize this? I have been searching around but found little.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! I am going back to the dealer this weekend to try the 959 again.

I admittedly did not check the riding mode but knowing the dealer well it was likley not in wet mode. The thing that irked me the most about the 959 was the heat even though it was probably only 65 outside. I found myself not putting my right leg down at stops just to avoid it. I may be moving to SoCal soon where this could be more of a nuissance. Has there been any consensus on a way to minimize this? I have been searching around but found little.
I don't personally have any problem with the heat. I feel it but it's not a concern of mine. I like in NorCal so it's quite a bit cooler up here. Others have complained a great deal about the temp but for me, it's no issue. I don't spend a great deal of time in traffic since i don't commute on it.

At any rate, try this thread:
http://www.959panigale.net/forum/959-panigale-general-discussion/2529-four-letter-word-no-ones-addressing.html

I still think it's quite a bit more bike than the 675 from a performance perspective. To say nothing about the looks....best of luck either way. If you pick up a 959 come back here and tell us all about it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Everyone. Late reply but I wanted it to be a suprise. Sold my old bike last night and picked up this bad boy today!

Previous bike I tested must have been set up odd. Went to test ride another bike and it was awesome. Cant wait to get back out tommorow.

P.S. Any tips on removing the gobs of Ducati chain lube from the tail?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Hi Everyone. Late reply but I wanted it to be a suprise. Sold my old bike last night and picked up this bad boy today!
Hello - congrats on being part of the family! :wink2:

Previous bike I tested must have been set up odd. Went to test ride another bike and it was awesome. Cant wait to get back out tommorow.
It must've been in WET Mode

There's a thread on this topic... Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Alcohol...

·
Registered
82 Posts

Nice to see it turned out to be the right choice for you! Anyway, I think that your initial ride issues were caused by being in "WET" mode, even though you know your dealer well. All 959's come onto the showroom floor in "WET" mode with DTC at 8. While this may be unique to Ducati - Triumph NYC, I don't think it is. My master tech Anna explained it like this: Ducati wants the customer to be able to have the experience of tweaking the ride from the lowest setting in order to see what each setting feels like and to familiarize themselves with the system. Also, there are plenty of squids buying this bike with zero concept of throttle control or the friction zone so it's kind of an anti-wreck-the-bike-in-the-first-five-minutes setting. In this mode the throttle seems incapable of a smooth roll-on because of the constant interference by the electronics. For sure this would give you a negative initial impression. Move directly to "SPORT" and set DTC at 5 or 6 and EBC at 1 or 2. I found this to be the "sweet spot" for tuning the ride. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't personally have any problem with the heat. I feel it but it's not a concern of mine. I like in NorCal so it's quite a bit cooler up here. Others have complained a great deal about the temp but for me, it's no issue. I don't spend a great deal of time in traffic since i don't commute on it.

At any rate, try this thread:
http://www.959panigale.net/forum/959-panigale-general-discussion/2529-four-letter-word-no-ones-addressing.html

I still think it's quite a bit more bike than the 675 from a performance perspective. To say nothing about the looks....best of luck either way. If you pick up a 959 come back here and tell us all about it.
I'm with Levi on the heat "issue" that a lot of people have been talking about. I've spent over an hour in Manhattan traffic (stop, move 20 meters, stop again, lather, rinse, repeat) on an 80 degree day (which means at least 85 down at street level) with my right leg snug on the bike. Zero discomfort. If it's killing you, I'd suggest ceramic coating the exhaust. Not powder coating - ceramic coating. Looks better than wrapping and has about the same thermal reduction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice. Ordered the spray cleaner. I've heard good things about it in the past. not sure why I didn't already have some. You guys are probably right about the WET mode. May have even been in sport with DTC on 8. Suspension may also have been adjusted incorrectly for me. Thanks for the advice on setting the modes as well.

Put 200 miles on it this weekend and the heated seat came in quite handy in this 40deg May weather... We'll see how the heat fairs up going into the summer but I don't think it's going to be much of an issue. I may be a bit of an outlier but I find the seat super comfortable, which makes up for any potential heat issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ugh man they love to put way too much chain lube on new bikes and not wipe the excess off. Use WD-40 to remove the lube (it won't hurt your paint and it completely dissolves chain wax) then clean it after with a microfiber and some water

I'm with Levi on the heat "issue" that a lot of people have been talking about.
100% agree, I never even considered the small amount of heat as an issue until I read people talking about it online, maybe I'm too familiar with my supermoto which is powered by a tiny volcano

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ugh man they love to put way too much chain lube on new bikes and not wipe the excess off. Use WD-40 to remove the lube (it won't hurt your paint and it completely dissolves chain wax) then clean it after with a microfiber and some water

100% agree, I never even considered the small amount of heat as an issue until I read people talking about it online, maybe I'm too familiar with my supermoto which is powered by a tiny volcano
Yep, WD-40 followed by some cleaner/polish works great.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts