Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
I'm finding the stock grips to be too hard, too thin and too narrow for my big delicate paws. :crying:

After reading a lot of threads (both on this and the 899 Forum) about how great the ProGrip 717s feel and look (they're from the Superleggera dammit!), I bought a pair and put em on my white 959. A few things I should mention first:
- YES they are softer and cushier than the stock ones;
- YES they are more comfortable and 'slightly' thicker than stock.

However, i find that my hands still hurt after a while and I think i'm just gripping them too hard. :|

So my question (finally!) to all you learned Forum-Responders out there, is what have you done to alleviate this pain and solve the Big-Paw-Conundrum?

Please help!!

PS - My apologies if this topic has been previously discussed!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey guys!
I'm finding the stock grips to be too hard, too thin and too narrow for my big delicate paws. :crying:

After reading a lot of threads (both on this and the 899 Forum) about how great the ProGrip 717s feel and look (they're from the Superleggera dammit!), I bought a pair and put em on my white 959. A few things I should mention first:

However, i find that my hands still hurt after a while and I think i'm just gripping them too hard. :|

So my question (finally!) to all you learned Forum-Responders out there, is what have you done to alleviate this pain and solve the Big-Paw-Conundrum?

Please help!!

Try oxford touring or cruiser grips, that is what immediately comes to mind. If not, looking at fatter grips in general.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I limit my time on the bike... I know that doesn't help you at all, but, you asked! Also, I learned to switch my posture so there's less weight on the right hand - that gives me double the time I had previously!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ideally you don't want any weight on the bars, just steering and throttle/brake inputs. If you are riding with elbows locked and supporting yourself through the grips you will exhaust yourself quickly.

I say "ideally" because it is near impossible not to do it while street riding. Get some tank grips and work on using your legs to lock into the gas tank and support your upper body with your core, it will do wonders for your wrist endurance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey guys!

Please help!!

Don't mean to be a prick but are wearing gloves when you ride. If not they help. But i had the same problem. your body is out of line somewhere else when you're riding and the problem has manifested its self in your hands and wrists. check how you are sitting on the seat that was where my problem began. I was trying to save my butt and putting pressure on my hands in the process.

·
Registered
61 Posts
After about 2.5 hrs on the bike on Sunday I felt a bit of this pressure on my right hand but not too badly that any pain stuck around long. I find it's from leaning on the handle bar too much. Getting your forearm more parallel to the ground helps.

Too many years of not riding has got me tense and in a bit of poor form. The cold didn't help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info guys!

I've had the shop lower the gear and rear brake levers, along with the front brake and clutch levers as well.
This has made a big difference to my comfort levels on the bike, and i'm now able to go a bit longer before whinging!

I know that posture and body positioning, as most of you have mentioned, also plays a massive role in comfort, so ill work on that as well!:nerd:

Thanks again for all the tips, cheers! :grin2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey guys!
Someone's probably said it before and you seem to be catching on also. It's most likely you.

Grip with your thighs not your hands. Sometimes I let my thumb and pointer finger touch and let the friction between my gloves and bars grip the bike just enough. The more I grip the tank with my thighs, the less I find myself gripping the handlebars. It lets me feel connected to the bike.
Always stay light on the bars and keep a loose upper body. Slight curve in the back, you should be able to wiggle your elbows while riding, wrists at relatively straight and elbows out at an angle (not parallel to the bike, but parallel to the ground). Your lower back and your thighs might be sore the first few times but this is pretty much the core riding style.

I also use the Progrip 717's and they're great. Renthals are also popular among XL/XXL hand sized riders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts