Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked around Youtube, but I wasn't able to find anything for the 959 or 899.

I came out to the garage this morning, ready to ride in to work and I found my rear tire completely flat. I'm very hesitant to wrench on this bike, but I feel confident I could do it with a nice how to. Unfortunately I am unable to find one.

Does anyone out there know of a video guide on how to remove the rear wheel? (front wheel would be awesome to, for future reference). Or even a how to guide with pictures?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I have the basics. I've done it on my Yamaha before. But I was hoping for something specific to this bike, so that I was sure how to take it all apart, back together, and re-align everything.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I guess my real main concern, is the chain adjusters. I don't know if I'll need to dick with that when I put the rear wheel back on. And if I do, what the process is to do it. Will it need to be re-adjusted and aligned?

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
If you have previous experience with other bikes you will have no issues with this bike. Pretty straight forward. You should be able to get away with not having to mess with the chain adjuster on the brake side, but you'll need to loosen the one on the chain side to get the chain off. If you mark where your axle / adjuster block is sitting in the swing arm (put a mark on the axle block and swing arm) you should be able to adjust right back to the old setting with no problem.

Reactions: msdss

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Ditto what Doug said, if you've changed rear tires before on a Jap bike this is a no brainer. You will need a 36mm 12 point socket, AutoZone had one, for the axle nut removal and it would not hurt at all to have an impact wrench handy. I didn't and I have never seen such a tight nut on anything before. I ended up using a two foot 1/2 " drive breaker bar with a piece of tubing slipped over it for extra leverage. It had to be over 400 lb-ft torque to break the nut loose, had a buddy sitting on the bike and I lifted him and the rear end of the bike off the ground three inches before it came loose. Make sure you grease everything per the service manual, mine was assembled dry including the grease seals. Other than that pretty simple if you are mechanically inclined at all, just pay attention to the spacers as they are L/R specific. Put the axle adjuster blocks back in exactly as they came out and you're chain alignment and chain slack will be unchanged.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone so much for the info. I really appreciate it. I'll try to takes some photos and post them in here for anyone in the future.

Again, huge help, thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Here was my initial write up on rear wheel removal, did not touch the chain adjuster blocks, simply removed the axle nut and tapped the axle out with a fiber drift and mallet. You can then roll the wheel forward a few inches to get some slack in the chain and the chain comes right off.

http://www.959panigale.net/forum/959-panigale-general-discussion/5161-rear-wheel-bearing-squeaking-5.html
Great idea on sliding the axle out and them pushing the wheel forward to remove the chain!! Duh!! lol!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've never had such an easy time replacing the wheels on this bike. My zx6r is a nightmare on some days it seems

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I've never had such an easy time replacing the wheels on this bike. My zx6r is a nightmare on some days it seems

+1, other than massive over torque on that axle nut from the factory, this is a really clean design, especially like the shock dampers. Very simple to work on.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Look at minute 20:45 right at the end of the video. It talks about the need to line up the notches on the right side of the front axle with the fork in order to be able to make suspension adjustments. It shows how to do this with the supplied tool in the ducati tool kit.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Here's one from Dave Moss for the front wheel.
It's a great video but the sequence of brake alignment was off.
I've mentioned this to Dave in the Youtube comment section.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Look at minute 20:45 right at the end of the video. It talks about the need to line up the notches on the right side of the front axle with the fork in order to be able to make suspension adjustments. It shows how to do this with the supplied tool in the ducati tool kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TieLMrhM2g0
How does the alignment of those notches affect the ability to make suspension adjustments... can anyone explain?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts