Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After getting in about 10 years of saddle time, I am in the process of deciding what my next motorcycle will be. I am usually not the kind of person who asks "Should I get A or B?", I deliberate for some time over what I want and then just go get what I like. But right now I am in such a confused state that I almost don't want to buy a bike! :p

The two bikes I have narrowed it down to are the Ducati 959 Panigale and the Triumph Daytona 675R. I took them both out for multiple demo rides and still could not choose one (and no, budget unfortunately does not support purchasing both :frown2:). The intention of the bike is to be used on fun weekend rides and for commuting to work. I have not yet done a track day but would like to start with organizers' bikes before I take mine to the track, so the bike I get might not see many track days initially. I know there are other suitable bikes out there for commuting and to be used as the weekend toy, but I have always loved sport bikes and only intend to buy one of these two. Also toying with the idea of getting a used BMW S1000RR, because I was absolutely blown away with the bike after a demo ride, but boy those bikes are pricey and the kind of riding I do does not justify such a large investment.

My observations from the demo rides are as follows,
Ducati 959 Panigale:
Pro -
  • It looks absolutely drop dead gorgeous!
  • The stock exhaust at idle is just :surprise:!
  • Engine definitely felt like it had more beans than the Daytona.
  • For me, the Ducati brand name has a bit more value and the 959 brings more exclusivity.
  • Currently Ducati has a 0% APR promotion in the US on the 959 and the dealer is interested in dealing.
Cons -
  • The heat from the back cylinder's exhaust header pipe was quite a bit after just a 30 minute demo ride! Is in town riding going to be a problem?
  • For me, the triple cylinder whine from Triumph has a slight edge over the twin at higher revs.
  • Higher potential maintenance costs. With the increase in service intervals for the 959, it is probably going to be a wash though.
Triumph Daytona 675R:
Pro -
  • Agile! I know all the reviewers and vloggers are going gaga over how the 959 handles, but personally I could flick this bike side to side much more easily. Handling felt telepathic, I thought about where I wanted to go and I was there! I could definitely get more out of the bike than the 959 on the demo rides.
  • Suspension and brake components are top notch, a grade above the 959 for sure. I am just not sure how much difference I will be able to feel out on the road and canyons.
  • The engine just sings beyond 7k RPM!
  • A little more affordable. Have a deal lined up for <$13k OTD! :surprise:
  • Might not attract the wrong kind of attention as with the 959.
Cons -
  • Might not attract the right kind of attention as with the 959! :p
  • Rumors of Triumph potentially dropping/replacing the 675R. I don't want to purchase a new bike and have it become old almost instantly.
  • Riding position was more aggressive of the two. Could be more tiring while commuting?
The heart says Ducati, head says Daytona. I would really appreciate feedback from the current and prospective owners in helping me with this dilemma!

Thanks,
KB

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
All good points. I've not ridden the 675 so it's difficult for me to offer an option. I do know I saw a lot more of those bikes at the track this year than ever before. Are you sure about the 0.0% interest for the 2016 959? I think the deal might be 0.9% for 2015 models. (899 / 1299) Might want to double check that.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hi there KB,

Welcome to the forums! I was in the exact same position as you are (959 vs 675R) and are surprised that the pro/con list that you have there is pretty close to mine. Of course, the final nail in the coffin for the 675R was that I could not get the deal I wanted (I would have went with 675R if I got <13k cost similar to you, but could not get it lower than $14k+tax OTD). Based on the two ~10 mile test rides on both the 959/675R, I felt that the 959 was more confidence inspiring; in hindsight, its all in how the suspension is setup. You can setup either to your riding style and there's tons of posts here about 959 settings.

As your title is, it really comes down to "Heart vs Head," but I would say the deal you have should really lean it towards the 675R. I'm sure you won't have any regrets either way, but if you get the 675R, you'll always have the Panigale as the one your heart longs for.

One thing I'd note is that if you are really considering a S1000RR without worries about too much power on the road, didn't the 675R feel significantly underwhelming in terms of torque/power?

Good luck to your predicament! I'd of course say to follow your heart. :wink2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All good points. I've not ridden the 675 so it's difficult for me to offer an option. I do know I saw a lot more of those bikes at the track this year than ever before. Are you sure about the 0.0% interest for the 2016 959? I think the deal might be 0.9% for 2015 models. (899 / 1299) Might want to double check that.
Hi, yes, I am positive. It is also on the Ducati USA website. I have tried attaching a snapshot, hope that works.

Hi there KB,

Welcome to the forums! I was in the exact same position as you are (959 vs 675R) and are surprised that the pro/con list that you have there is pretty close to mine. Of course, the final nail in the coffin for the 675R was that I could not get the deal I wanted (I would have went with 675R if I got <13k cost similar to you, but could not get it lower than $14k+tax OTD). Based on the two ~10 mile test rides on both the 959/675R, I felt that the 959 was more confidence inspiring; in hindsight, its all in how the suspension is setup. You can setup either to your riding style and there's tons of posts here about 959 settings.

As your title is, it really comes down to "Heart vs Head," but I would say the deal you have should really lean it towards the 675R. I'm sure you won't have any regrets either way, but if you get the 675R, you'll always have the Panigale as the one your heart longs for.

One thing I'd note is that if you are really considering a S1000RR without worries about too much power on the road, didn't the 675R feel significantly underwhelming in terms of torque/power?

Good luck to your predicament! I'd of course say to follow your heart. :wink2:
Yes, I could not believe it either when the dealer told me the OTD cost on the Daytona. Yes, you cannot compare the power and torque to the beast that is the S1000RR, but for street and canyon riding, I think it has decent amount of power and it more than makes up for it with it's agile handling.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
I used to ride with a group of Daytona riders...

They were always singing about how well they handled, however not one of them didn't wish that they had my Ducati instead.

Attachments

Reactions: ASavageFox and aayp

·
Registered
118 Posts
Why 959?

1. Way better ergos, while not a commuter bike, it will do the job better than most sports bikes.
2. Sexy AF.
3. Ducateh!
4. More power. The Wet mode is 100hp, which is close to what the 675 makes. 157 on Sport/Race.
5. More exclusive. Year 1 bike.

The only thing going for the 675R is the Ohlins, and the price being lower by $1500 or so.

Heart will say 959.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: aayp

·
Registered
131 Posts
I feel like your pros and cons list is kinda bias if that makes sense. If you're trying to justify one more than the other then get that one. You've got one life, get what you want even if it's "not the smartest choice"!

EDIT: I am planning on using the 0% deal as well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback guys, you would make good salesmen! :p

I think I am 99% convinced I'm going to listen to my heart this time. I am just worried about the heat issue. As I would be commuting to work, I mainly ride in jeans and not leathers. Would it be unbearable for/after a 45 minute commute that includes both inside streets and freeways?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys, you would make good salesmen! :p

I think I am 99% convinced I'm going to listen to my heart this time. I am just worried about the heat issue. As I would be commuting to work, I mainly ride in jeans and not leathers. Would it be unbearable for/after a 45 minute commute that includes both inside streets and freeways?

My ride to work is around 40 min. where I am on a major interstate for about 30 min. As long as you are moving, you will be fine. The heat was only an issue in stop N go traffic for me initially but after a month or so it didn't bother me anymore. Maybe I just got used to it? I ride in jeans as well and so far I have no regrets. Like people have suggested, I'd go with heart over head . Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a similar dilemma between the 959, an S1000RR, and the new R1. On paper, the R1 was the best deal but I decided to go with my heart this time and I do not regret it for one second. Every time I walk through my garage I glance over at my 959 and admire her beauty. Every time I open her up and hear the motor roar I am floored by it. I get more compliments on this bike then any other vehicle I have ever owned. It is definately a special experience. I can promise you that you will not regret buying one

·
Registered
892 Posts
I am just worried about the heat issue. As I would be commuting to work, I mainly ride in jeans and not leathers. Would it be unbearable for/after a 45 minute commute that includes both inside streets and freeways?
I think it comes down to whether or not you will think you have a problem with it or not. I read quite a bit about the heat problem that was prevalent in the Panigales prior to getting mine. I was ready to get subframe covers as I read that that was the best thing to combat inner thigh heat. After the test rides and riding off with my own 959, I never thought about the heat again aside from what I read here.

Ducati 959 Panigale:
Cons -
  • The heat from the back cylinder's exhaust header pipe was quite a bit after just a 30 minute demo ride! Is in town riding going to be a problem?
It's very subjective what "quite a bit" is, but my advice is that if during your test rides, if it felt unbearable at all, I'd say heat will be a big problem for you as you might not grow into it. If you ever said, "ehh, its there, but its not bad," then it will be no problem even if you get stuck in traffic.

Putting it into my perspective, I commute to work on a 50-80 mile path, 959's reported average speed is ~35 MPH, but often ride <20mph due to traffic. I wear mostly textile pants and sometimes jeans. I've sat in stop and go on my running 959 in 95degF weather (0% humidity though). I've never once thought to myself, "I really need to stop, this heat is unbearable" or "my butt/thighs are on fire." To echo what many others say here including @aayp in this thread, any heat disappears when you start moving (and no, not moving as in 70mph, but honestly I don't feel heat past 20mph).

Reactions: bikenumber99

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have a final back to back extended demo ride lined up at a Ducati/Triumph dealership tomorrow. That should definitely let me get a good idea about the heat and about which is going to be THE ONE!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have a final back to back extended demo ride lined up at a Ducati/Triumph dealership tomorrow. That should definitely let me get a good idea about the heat and about which is going to be THE ONE!
The Ducati makes about 30hp more, has more torque, looks nicer and is more comfortable.

I find 675 triples boring to ride, their power curve is almost too linear.

Bikes are bought with your heart, buy whichever one makes you feel special.

Theres nothing worse than wishing you spent that extra $1500 and got what you really wanted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As it had rained in lovely San Francisco the previous night and earlier in the day of my test ride (we are in the middle of a drought and now is when the skies decide to open up!), the dealership wasn't keen on a long demo and just took me around a small loop for 15 minutes on each bike. Couldn't really feel the heat being an issue in this short time! However, even on that small ride what I could gauge was that the 959 made me feel special, definitely more so than the Daytona! I immediately knew what I wanted, but I wanted to go home and think about it rather than making an impulsive purchase.

I read up a bit more about how to alleviate the heating problem, watched a crap ton of YouTube videos reviewing and going gaga over the 959 or thrashing it about the heat problem and finally decided I would get the 959 and just learn to live with the heat issue. But that would make life too simple wouldn't it, because the same day I received a call from one of the BMW dealerships saying that they will do $19k OTD (even with our awesome 9% sales tax) for a brand new S1000RR with Premium Package (basically fully loaded and stickers at $19,840 for people not familiar with BMW lingo) if I can complete the purchase by the end of the month. The best quote I have received on the 959 so far is $16k OTD. So despite knowing that the S1000RR at that price is a better value proposition, am I stupid to still ache for the 959?

My question to you my friends is, what would you people choose? As I have mentioned before the bike will mainly be a weekend warrior and some commuting thrown in. On one hand, I know that the S1000RR is more practical, has a lot more electronic goodies, doesn't have the butt heating problem, will be my first liter bike (do I really need that kind of power on the road though?), always loved the I4 sound as a kid and is probably the better value with this quote. But on the other, the looks don't hold a candle to that of the 959 which is probably something I can pull off now in my late twenties, the 959 still costs about $3k less, the V-Twin sounds like nothing else in the competition and the 959 is a smaller bike with handling that is more agile. Appreciate any feedback you guys can provide me with!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well, you are in a Ducati forum so it's pretty obvious the answers you'll get :). So in a way, I'm a bit like you in that I don't have as much riding time as I would like for various reasons. TBH, I'm more of a long distance rider - I like to take the bare essentials and disappear for a week(s). So instead I wanted something that I could pack as much fun as possible in, but in shorter hops. So the extra BMW "bells and whistles" meant nothing to me. For me the 959 is as effen' FUN! My advice is to take the BMW for a RIP and see how you feel about it. Go with your gut on this one.

·
Registered
892 Posts
...I wanted to go home and think about it rather than making an impulsive purchase.
Mistakes were made :p

...the S1000RR is more practical...
I wouldn't say that its more practical, but I guess it depends on what you see yourself doing in the future. Don't be worried about "outgrowing" the less powerful 959 either.

Like @kats said, go with your gut. This is now a heart vs. heart decision between the Babygale and the S1000RR.

·
Registered
131 Posts
For me the question is not about getting a deal unless you're buying to sell. Price not being considered which would you take? Life is too short to make decisions based on saving a few bucks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why 959?

1. Way better ergos, while not a commuter bike, it will do the job better than most sports bikes.
2. Sexy AF.
3. Ducateh!
4. More power. The Wet mode is 100hp, which is close to what the 675 makes. 157 on Sport/Race.
5. More exclusive. Year 1 bike.

The only thing going for the 675R is the Ohlins, and the price being lower by $1500 or so.

Heart will say 959.

Just wanted to say the factory default "Sport Mode" is capped at 140 hp. You have to change the DTC level to the next step to get the full 157 hp. I didn't know this myself, I discovered this one day while reading the manual at work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts