Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips on trying to keep the heat down on the seat? Just bought my 959 last week and my *** melts a little more each time I ride. I knew this going into it but there's gotta be a method that cuts the heat down a little...other than maintaining 120mph.

My first thoughts were adding some thermo insulation tape on the exhaust shield and possibly wrapping the exhaust. I know several people are against wrapping exhaust for several different reasons but it works on my Yamaha FZR600. I just don't have enough data to say whether or not it'll do what I want it to do in keeping heat off my ***.

Any suggestions are highly welcomed.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Both of those solutions combined stand a chance.

The pani I rode with a wrapped exhaust was a marginal improvement. He posted some data on the old 1199 forum with an ir thermometer but ultimately once your pants were he soaked from the radiant heat, it still felt just as hot for the most part.

That said, wrapping the exhaust is on my to do list for the winter. If you wrap both header pipes, you shouldn't see any adverse effect on performance.

Or I may do this since they're down the street from me.

White Lightning Exhaust Coatings | Swain Tech Coatings | Industrial Coatings | High Performance Racing Coatings

Reactions: NSWDBG

·
Registered
25 Posts
after getting toasted testicles while caught up in traffic at the weekend,i have put some gold reflective foil on the seat bottom,wont know if it works untill im back out on it

·
Registered
892 Posts
I personally don't have any heat problems, but find the heat from the subframe/cover around valve cover more noticeable than that from the seat even in stop and go situations with ~210F ECT/~95F IAT.

Before plunging and getting my 959, I was considering on getting some Shift-Tech Subframe Covers as some other users on here have them and said they helped/eliminated the heat from the subframe area (ie. Reducing heat with engine subframe covers). Just something to consider.

There's another thread on here that has a lot of discussion as well if you want to read in on that (The four letter word no ones addressing).

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I have the ducati performance comfort seat. I have noticed a difference in seat heat because it is a little higher. I don't know if you want to go that route. But it's been a good side affect for me.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Eh, the heat never bothered me, but to be honest Ive noticed a huge change after I installed my Termi evo exhaust (forward facing). While they never bothered me before, now its a complete no issue. Oh and the sound and huge bump in midrange was nice too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the replies. got some helpful tips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm also not bothered about the heat. Then again it is only the beginning of spring here in Sydney at the moment so it may be different in summer. I've actually ridden to work just wearing my work uniform (slacks/chinos) instead of my kevlar jeans and the heat to me was bearable.. If anything my Monster 659 felt hotter than the Panigale.
Must be my fat ***... plenty of insulation. lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey OP, don't wanna jump the line, I know @avigil mentioned he had a seat before I did. However, new they're $252 w/o shipping/ tax, so I'm looking to get $200. Its in brand new condition used for a few rides and i realized i preferred the stocker. The stitching and material are nice and comfy and the seat looks great, but I don't need it. PM me your location and stuff if your still interested.

How much?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Hey OP, don't wanna jump the line, I know @avigil mentioned he had a seat before I did. However, new they're $252 w/o shipping/ tax, so I'm looking to get $200. Its in brand new condition used for a few rides and i realized i preferred the stocker. The stitching and material are nice and comfy and the seat looks great, but I don't need it. PM me your location and stuff if your still interested.
Don't worry at all. I'm not interested in selling mine. I'll be doing a 4 day 1,200 mile trip and that comfort seat will be quite necessary! :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was part of the original hot arse thread having received a quarter sized blister on my first outing. I have been playing around with my riding position and average RPM's and have not had a bad experience the rest of the summer (1,400 miles later).

1) I sit far forward and had a death grip on the tank with my knees on my first ride. This put my thighs in direct contact with the subframe. I suspect that by covering the subframe with my leathers it stopped any airflow for cooling the exterior surface, heat soak would eventually happen and hard to recover from there.

Now I make a conscious decision to be a lot more relaxed when not cornering, opening my knees a bit, shifting rearward in my seat, and it made a noticeable difference.

2) If I hover around 4-4.3k RPM for extended periods when traveling about 35-55mph I can feel the heat begin to build up quickly. By clicking up a gear or two and go sub 4k RPMs the heat can be kept in check.

By focusing on RPM's and seating I have never even come close to what I felt on my first ride. Once things get above 60mph there is enough air that I'm having no issues with keeping the heat to just feeling warm.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
does anyone tried that heat shield from shift-tech
ST1024 FULL SUBFRAME COVERS 899/959 MATTE ( see description for gloss) - Shift-Tech Carbon i would like to buy it bc i have problem heat btween my legs i live in high temperature city in Saudi Arabia even winter i would realy thankful if someone can help here .
i would gold foil the original ones,thats what im about to do next,the gold foil on the seat has taken more than 20 deg c out of it,with the infra red temp gauge the side panels are 74 deg c,its no wonder you can get burned.
the original exhaust heat shield doesnt look very effective either its 95 on the outside:crying:

·
Registered
11 Posts
i would gold foil the original ones,thats what im about to do next,the gold foil on the seat has taken more than 20 deg c out of it,with the infra red temp gauge the side panels are 74 deg c,its no wonder you can get burned.
the original exhaust heat shield doesnt look very effective either its 95 on the outside:crying:
yes the same i am thinking but i would try this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039Z5TYU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
wrap from inside the subframe cover i will update you once i have done thanks for the information.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts