Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to the forum here, I'm looking to buy a used 959 around $10,000. And I've been eyeing at several private listings for sale in NY.

1. 2016 959 arctic white, all stock with minor aesthetic changes(lights and signals), 7700 miles. Asking for 10,200
2. 2017 959 arctic white, termi exhaust, clear clutch cover, under 4k miles, asking for 11,500
3. 2017 959 white, complete stock, 213 miles, 12,000

I checked out the first bike in person and everything ticks of well. It's getting serviced at a ducati dealership very soon. But I can't decide if I want to pay 10,200 for a 959 with 7700 miles, when I can pay a little more for much lower mileage.

Your helps and experiences are all much appreciated!! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
The year models are exactly the same, so you have to decide if you want an older or newer bike, to start.
That said, 213 miles is a bike that’s never been ridden. Is it worth about 2 grand to you?
The trade off is the engine on the 213 mile bike is not even broken in yet. The older bike is already in its groove. That is worth something.
Don’t forget that these twin engines take thousands of miles to break in fully. Do you want to start from zero with a bike that’s 4 years old, or do you want to get on it and try to tame the dragon!

The #1 sounds like my bike - 2016 about 7500 miles, impeccably kept up and garaged, meaningful upgrades(Ohlins steering damper, Proti hardware, Rizoma mirrors, Rear Cowl)- I would ask $11200 IF I were to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The year models are exactly the same, so you have to decide if you want an older or newer bike, to start.
That said, 213 miles is a bike that’s never been ridden. Is it worth about 2 grand to you?
The trade off is the engine on the 213 mile bike is not even broken in yet. The older bike is already in its groove. That is worth something.
Don’t forget that these twin engines take thousands of miles to break in fully. Do you want to start from zero with a bike that’s 4 years old, or do you want to get on it and try to tame the dragon!

The #1 sounds like my bike - 2016 about 7500 miles, impeccably kept up and garaged, meaningful upgrades(Ohlins steering damper, Proti hardware, Rizoma mirrors, Rear Cowl)- I would ask $11200 IF I were to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said brother!! I’d prefer to buy a broken in bike that’s ready to rip. Modern day technology makes the engines pretty reliable. Mind if I ask what makes you choose the first one over the second? I put a sc project exhaust on my scrambler cafe and it sounds sooo much better. The termi exhaust on the #2 959 really hooks me

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I only reference the first one vs mine. The #2 bike seems like a good deal, depending on how clean it is, and how well its been kept. Personally I would never buy a bike with an aftermarket exhaust unless the previous owner has the printout of the dyno tune during install of said exhaust. That's the right way to do it. If it's not done that way there's the time from install where the bike may not be running optimally and could be fouling a tad, which makes parts dirty - more so than if kept stock. Dirty parts lead to issues eventually.

·
Registered
67 Posts
new to the forum here, I'm looking to buy a used 959 around $10,000. And I've been eyeing at several private listings for sale in NY.

1. 2016 959 arctic white, all stock with minor aesthetic changes(lights and signals), 7700 miles. Asking for 10,200
2. 2017 959 arctic white, termi exhaust, clear clutch cover, under 4k miles, asking for 11,500

I checked out the first bike in person and everything ticks of well. It's getting serviced at a ducati dealership very soon. But I can't decide if I want to pay 10,200 for a 959 with 7700 miles, when I can pay a little more for much lower mileage.

Lower mileage sure helps, but in my opinion, it's how the bike was taken care of by the owner. Before I got my 959, I had a CBR600RR. Before I purchased the RR, I had two options. The one with the lower mileage was beaten up like crazy. The guy rode the crap out of it and it needed work. It had only 4000kms on it, so like 2500miles. I bought the one with 9000kms on it and was kept in mint condition. So as long as the bike is clean and well maintained, you should be good. I know why you like the #3 option. I too got lucky with a 2017 year with only 30 miles on it. Asking 12K is not bad, but maybe you can negotiate a bit to drop it down a bit. It's almost a brand new bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From NY here, you can find newer year 959s in that price range. Takes a little more haggling and time but they are out there. As an example, last year in April, I had a gentlemen willing to sell me his 2018 959 for 12K with dealership installed aftermarket parts and had 336 miles. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to buy it at the time as other things came up. It was super clean.

I personally like the lower mileage option but that is my personal preference and I would offer less than asking. I rather be the one putting most of the miles on my new to me bike, than someone else. Plus at ~500 miles, you have more control on the break in of the bike.

Good luck and I hope you get a bike you like!

·
Registered
1 Posts

[/Q

If you're still looking, i want to sell mine, 2016 White 959 panigale, 1,987 miles garaged and well kept. Let me know. I'll take 10k. I'm in Cali.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your replies! I pulled trig on the first bike with 7700 miles on it. I’m taking it to the track next week and looking forward to how it will handle. Just didn’t want to go through the process of breaking in, wanted to get a bike ready to roll. Plus the guy paid for a good service so I’ll take it.
Bike is suuuper clean. TBH I like the 959 better than the v2. 959 front end looks more exotic to me Lol.
34B589DA-8C8D-4EF7-8C6E-BFEB5DE18139.jpeg
34B589DA-8C8D-4EF7-8C6E-BFEB5DE18139.jpeg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks all for your replies! I pulled trig on the first bike with 7700 miles on it. I’m taking it to the track next week and looking forward to how it will handle. Just didn’t want to go through the process of breaking in, wanted to get a bike ready to roll. Plus the guy paid for a good service so I’ll take it.
Bike is suuuper clean. TBH I like the 959 better than the v2. 959 front end looks more exotic to me Lol. View attachment 28715 View attachment 28715 View attachment 28715
Congrats bud. Bike looks sweet. You did great on the buy. Enjoy your time on the track. Stay safe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts