Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting on small led blinkers in the rear and they don't work. I can connect the originals and it works like normal. I have confirmed which wires are positive and solder the new one in. I know usually w/o a resistor you get a fast blink but normally don't care about the fast blink or replace the flash relay if I get around to it. Why would leds not work at all w/o a resistor? Hooking up a multimeter I get what I'd expect with voltage bouncing around if the original blinker is attached but if it's not attached I get nothing on the multimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bad unit? Did they already have the plug that just snaps into place or did you have to wire it up.

When installed the rear fender eliminator kit... Plugs snapped in place and worked perfect.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad unit? Did they already have the plug that just snaps into place or did you have to wire it up.

When installed the rear fender eliminator kit... Plugs snapped in place and worked perfect.

Thanks for the quick reply! They were some cheap leds I had on hand that I had used on my FZ09.

Googled it and according to an 1199 forum the flashers have no relay but are controlled by the dash computer and do not work if they do not detect the right resistance. So I'm going to have to order resistors. May just order a eliminator kit. Didn't want to deal with ordering and waiting so I fab'd a plate bracket mounted the blinkers w/ the plate. Was going to end up ordering a kit eventually anyways as I do not like the whole left from eliminating the whale tail.

Guess it's hand signals for now

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update... I am looking for resistors for my blinkers now and not sure which to order. I plan on checking how much resistance the OEM blinkers have and just doing that but any advice would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No one? Looks like the standard is 50w 6ohm so I'll get those. Where does nrc hide the resistors in their eliminator kit?

·
487 Posts
No one? Looks like the standard is 50w 6ohm so I'll get those. Where does nrc hide the resistors in their eliminator kit?

NRC doesn't hide any resistors. I assume the leds they use has the correct resistance. Just opened a box and looked at it as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NRC doesn't hide any resistors. I assume the leds they use has the correct resistance. Just opened a box and looked at it as well.

I wonder how they achieve that... leds obviously have a lot less resistance than an incandescent. Only thought I have that could be going on is multiple leds may get it within range.

I ordered some resistors so I'll be trying that for my setup.

·
Registered
892 Posts
@MotoMillion Anything that looked like this? (Attached, resistor bulge, inline to LED and shrunk wrapped)
@nband What's the voltage read out on the line? You could just use this to calculate the resistance (if you haven't already) needed to max out the current spec of the LED you have and buy the next largest shelf resistor and call it good.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A buddy had some 6ohm 50w resistors and I compared them to the stock blinkers resistance and they were very close. Soldered them in and zip tied them to the subframe

·
487 Posts
@MotoMillion Anything that looked like this? (Attached, resistor bulge, inline to LED and shrunk wrapped)

@nband What's the voltage read out on the line? You could just use this to calculate the resistance (if you haven't already) needed to max out the current spec of the LED you have and buy the next largest shelf resistor and call it good.
Didn't see any, I'll try to take off the wire covers off mine to check.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts