Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just got my new Panigale 959 about a week ago with only one Mile on it, now I have 150 miles on it but recently tonight when I stoped at a gas station all of the sudden the red oil icon on the side of the dash lit, so I turned off the bike and the try to turn it on again it wouldn't let me or even downshift I gave it 5 mins and then started riding home, when I parked it and turned it off it came back. Any ideas what's going on?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Just to be sure, you're referring to #4 on this diagram right?

A couple of things:
  • On startup, this and the ABS light will turn on constantly at key in when the engine hasn't been started. Once the engine is started, #4 goes away after a little bit and ABS goes off when you start moving. This is normal
  • If your Check Engine Light (#7) is on, check what the code is. It doesn't seems like you have this, but in case, pages 103-107 in the owners manual shows you how to do that.
  • There's just a lot that goes into not being able to start so its tough to help that without more information (ie. what gear, kickstand?)
  • Downshifting is purely mechanical, ECU doesn't do anything to stop it - nor lack of oil.

If the oil pressure light is coming on when the engine is running, you probably have some oiling problems (maybe serious, maybe not?). What is the oil level at with the bike completely upright?

Reactions: tomi

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it's number 4 on the right side and it was in second gear with kickstand down and wouldn't go into 2nd gear so I just put the kickstand up and started rolling with the bike and it started, also I am letting the engine heat up all the way before I take off but I do ride it like I would ride and I have ridden it hard already thus performing hard break in, if I need to take it easy I will. But I'm not sure what going on with that. I'm about to go out on some sliders on so I'll put the key in and see if it still pops up

·
487 Posts
So I check its on when the key is in ignition and it stays on... once I press the button to start it turns off.
When your bike isn't running, it doesn't have oil pressure, so that light will come on, to say you have low oil pressure (oil pump isn't running since engine isn't running). Once you start the bike, and the sensor detects the oil pressure, the light goes off.

:nerd:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the thing is this is the first time this light popped up ever, and now I just saw the fluid level is half way on the left side of my handle bar.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yeah it's number 4 on the right side and it was in second gear with kickstand down and wouldn't go into 2nd gear so I just put the kickstand up and started rolling with the bike and it started, also I am letting the engine heat up all the way before I take off but I do ride it like I would ride and I have ridden it hard already thus performing hard break in, if I need to take it easy I will. But I'm not sure what going on with that. I'm about to go out on some sliders on so I'll put the key in and see if it still pops up
This is normal on most motorcycles - shifting gears when the transmission is at standstill gives almost no opportunity for the gears to line up. Moving the rear tire or letting the clutch out a little gives the alignment.

Yeah the thing is this is the first time this light popped up ever, and now I just saw the fluid level is half way on the left side of my handle bar.
It's not clear what fluid level your referring to, left handle bar would indicate you're looking at the clutch fluid reservoir. Refer to your owners manual to see how to check the engine oil level (and also read a bunch about little details like the oil pressure light).

By the way, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks DJ for the response and for welcoming me! I been reading i actually left it in my friends car when all this happened and haven't had read that so I freaked out but I'll get to it. Hope we're good to go. And yeah it's the clutch reservoir it's half way full so.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
2nd try at posting picture.
Welcome to the forum. That is your clutch fluid reservoir. I don't believe there are any dash warnings for clutch or brake fluid levels. Yours looks fine, by the way.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
On the lower right side (Throttle side) of the motor you'll find a oil level sight glass. This is for checking your motor oil level. The oil should hover between the two hash marks (high & low levels) To get an accurate reading the bike must be on a flat level surface, both tires on the ground and the bike it an upright position. (cannot be leaning on the kickstand) Attached is a sample of a Ducati oil level sight glass on an older super bike to give you an idea of what to look for. Also, as stated previously, your manual is a great starting point to learn about your bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
2nd try at posting picture.
That's your clutch hydraulic fluid reservoir. That is completely normal. If that ever gets dark and cloudy, The fluid in the system will need replacing, AKA clutch bleeding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts