Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas!
I've had my 959 for a few months now. I've put 4500 miles on the bike so far and what a dream it has been. I'm new to actually using forums (I usually just leach info when something breaks). You guys have been great so I figured I would try and participate a bit. Thanks for having me!

Picture of my stock 959 showed :D
(I have a bigger rear sprocket coming and looking for a slip on)

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Welcome @Potato.959.

Looks like you're loving it and riding it as much as you can!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad you are enjoying the bike so much. I am in a similar situation as yourself, relatively new owner and can't fault the 959 its a fantastic bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah I've only put about 4500 miles on the bike so far. Can't wait to put more on.
I've had my 2018 for 2 weeks now. Only 200 miles on the odo so far. Did you get yours new and did you go by the book on break in? It's like dry humping a super model trying to keep it in the pants below 6k rpm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay. It's hard to remember to keep checking here. Yes I went by the book by 800 miles, sorta.
A buddy of mine has owned 5-10 (can't remember but it's a bunch) of ducatis over the years...
Day 1 he got picked up a brand new 959 he took it to the track. Do what you think is right. The "break in" debate has been thoroughly fleshed out. These engines are rung out and tested before the bike leaves the factory. Imo they say that so new owners don't get on a bike they're uncomfortable with and wreck it. I wouldn't (and didn't) redline it until break-in but I did romp on my bike quite a bit.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Day 1 he got picked up a brand new 959 he took it to the track. Do what you think is right. The "break in" debate has been thoroughly fleshed out. ... Imo they say that so new owners don't get on a bike they're uncomfortable with and wreck it. I wouldn't (and didn't) redline it until break-in but I did romp on my bike quite a bit.
Its my belief that bikes broken in at the track ensure perfect conditions. You get extended high power, sustained stretches to push the rings onto cylinder walls and similarly, longer stretches of braking zones that also suck the rings onto the cylinder walls via engine braking.

On the street, low speed stop and go or highway riding are some of the worst conditions for engine break-in. Unless you live right next to some hills, these sustained no-load or low-load case provide poor conditions for seating the piston rings.

In any scenario, you need to help the bike warm up before you rev it; cold engines being revved during break-in is not good.

These engines are rung out and tested before the bike leaves the factory.
In the auto industry, this is true to reduce warranty claims so Ducati probably does the same. Another school of thought is that break-in of other components (eg. transmission/brakes/clutch/suspension/etc.) is needed too (which the track provides perfect conditions for break in also).

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't disagree. This is the same thing I've been told by anyone who's opinions I respect haha. I've yet to take my bike to the track. She has seen many of mountain roads though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts