Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After maybe just an hour riding on the stock seat, my butt was huuuuuurting! It's been said before a million times between all the Panigale forums but... man. I'm surprised they put that seat on the bike and sell it like that. It's pretty brutal.

After about two hours, I got home, went upstairs to get my DP Race Seat out of its box and ran back to the garage with a 3mm allen key just to get that new seat mounted so it's ready to go next time I ride.

I really hope it's markedly more comfy. If not, I may end up posting to trade my DP Race seat for a DP Comfort seat.

Thanks for listening! Just wanted to get that off my chest!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks for listening! Just wanted to get that off my chest!
No problem, that's what we guys on this forum are here for.

However, may I say that a couple of things are bothering me from the above post.
1) it reads like you just rode the Panigale for the first time.
2) why is a DP race seat still the box if you bought one?

Unlike the stocker, don't worry about the race seat as it is very similar as the comfort seat.
Now get on your butt and go riding ! >:) and don't forget to have fun.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, good point--I had ridden the 959 three times prior to buying one, each for perhaps half an hour or so... Or however long the Ducati Demo Day rides generally are. I also took a private test ride at the dealer but I'd say that was also for no more than 20-30 minutes. I never noticed how awful the stock seat was on those rides. Maybe they weren't long enough for it to be an issue.

Today I noticed it though. I was out for about two hours.

And that's fine! Because I expected to get a DP seat anyway based on forum feedback. So I had my DP Race seat in my house while I gave the stock seat a try so I could really distinguish between them and hopefully be able to relay my experience to anyone that asked on the forum in the future.

I'm looking forward to my customary ride with the race seat to see the difference as compared to stock.

Love me some fall weather riding! Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m planning to get at least 300 miles of break-in done on Friday. Hopefully the stock seat doesn’t cut that short.

Dealer does have a comfort seat in stock, but no race seats.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I?m planning to get at least 300 miles of break-in done on Friday. Hopefully the stock seat doesn?t cut that short.

Dealer does have a comfort seat in stock, but no race seats.
Check back in and let us know how it goes!

Where are you in Chicago, Jimmy? I'm happy to let you sit on my race seat if you'd like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check back in and let us know how it goes!

Where are you in Chicago, Jimmy? I'm happy to let you sit on my race seat if you'd like.
Far NW-side, in Edison Park. Appreciate the offer, and if possible would like to check it out. I did sit on the comfort at the dealer today at least to get an idea of the added height and position.

·
Registered
57 Posts
stock seat is fkn atrocious!! i have the comfy seat and whilst it's better i'm afraid it doesn't compare to my ZX6 for rider comfort. At least i can ride a couple hundred km now and semi feel my *** cheeks. Stock seat was 18km to work and walking like John Wayne!

Race seat i think was half way between stock and comfort seat i think the dealer told me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I feel that I must be strange as I think the stock seat is just fine. My hip flexors give out, followed by a numb right hand long before my butt ever hurts. My longest ride in the few months I've had it has been about 250 miles only stopping for gas and never had a problem with the backside. Maybe because i lean off way more than necessary because it makes me feel all warm and tingly on the inside lol?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I feel that I must be strange as I think the stock seat is just fine.
Everyone's different, people have different comfort/aesthetic preferences. The main creature comforts (seat, grips, foot pegs) are all up for customizing to suit wants.

Consider that complaints are mostly of a vocal minority. For every 10 people who want a different seat, there's probably >>10 other people that have no problem with the original. You're not strange, you're just aware that you have no problems with what you have :grin2:

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Ditto, stock seat is fine for me, it's a race bike not a Harley.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just happened to ask about the seat "issue" with my local dealer when I picked up my 2017 959 a few months ago.

They told me around a third of their customers take either a comfort or a race seat at the time of purchase.
About a third are coming back in the next three months to get either a comfort or race seat because not happy with stock seat.
And the rest seems to stick to the stock seat.

Of course, it doesn't account for people who are going to look for aftermarket seats.
But it gives a good idea. Definitely lots of folks happy with stock seat!

Curious to see if there are some discrepancies in these numbers depending on the region.
Warm or cold weather?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just went for a 4 hour ride this past weekend on the stock seat of my '18 959...it didn't bother me one bit, I actually like how it feels vs. a cushion-y feeling. The only uncomfortable part of riding this bike that I'm acclimating to is wrist pain...it's just not very daily-driver ergo friendly on my wrists in particular...could just be me...then again it's designed to race, not commute on.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just did a 90 mile ride over lunch to see what the stock seat had to offer before venturing out for a 300+ mile ride on Friday. Ride consisted of both city stop & go as well as expressway riding.

For reference, was wearing my Aerostich roadcrafter bunny suit and a pair of non-padded bike shorts under.

Initial feedback is that comfort wise its not to bad, but the lack of grip was a annoying as staying in a comfortable spot was impossible due to sliding around. Heat didnt seem to bother me much, but I'm also coming from a 2006 Buell Firebolt, which also produced a bit a heat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Update: 356 miles riden today and my bottom is A-OK. My knees on the other hand (they are bad to begin with) could use a slightly lower peg position. May try the race/comfort seat to gain some room for the knees.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Either that or new rearsets (or both).

There are threads on which manufacturer's rearsets everyone likes. Good luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
The only uncomfortable part of riding this bike that I'm acclimating to is wrist pain...it's just not very daily-driver ergo friendly on my wrists in particular...could just be me...then again it's designed to race, not commute on.
This for me as well. Biggest help is when i focus on squeezing the tank with my legs a bit more and making sure im engaging my core to stabilize my body and that helps take enough off the wrists to make it comfortable on longer commute type rides where I don't move around as much.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I just went for a 4 hour ride this past weekend on the stock seat of my '18 959...it didn't bother me one bit, I actually like how it feels vs. a cushion-y feeling. The only uncomfortable part of riding this bike that I'm acclimating to is wrist pain...it's just not very daily-driver ergo friendly on my wrists in particular...could just be me...then again it's designed to race, not commute on.
The wrist pain will dissipate in time as your core muscles will adapt and strengthen thus alleviating the forward weight. Your wrists will also get stronger.
I felt the discomfort last year but have had no issues this year.

Reactions: goat
1 - 20 of 23 Posts