Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just thought id post an issue I just had under warranty thankfully. One day I noticed some oil on the oil cooler guard, not dripping but you could tell the fins were oiled and gathering debris. The very Next day I rode to work and was about to run to lunch and noticed oil under the belly pan, not a lot but enough to notice. Turns out after removing fairings and inspecting oil was leaking from the horizontal valve cover onto the oil cooler and fan assembly. Ducati covered it and I now have a new valve cover gasket and spark plug tower gasket as well as a complete cooling system flush due to the need to remove the radiator and oil cooler to gain access. For information sake my bike had 6635mi at time of failure, has followed maintenance schedule and has had additional oil changes every third track day. Just thought id pass along the information if someone notices something similar.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks for posting and sharing.

What did the techs suggest was the cause of the failure? Gasket failure, loosening of bolts. etc?

Anything we can do, anything you plan on doing, as part of routine maintenance to prevent this from happening again?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was due to a gasket failure, likely from a defect in the material or a pinch during assembly. Tech did not note any loose valve cover bolts.

I will just keep an eye on it, maybe visual inspections during routine oil changes and I definitely will take note if i notice any oil on the cooler again. Haven't been able to ride much since getting her back due to weather but the tech did use some foot powder spray and heat cycles to verify no other leaks so I should be okay until the 15K service when the valve covers come off again.

Reactions: Pard
1 - 3 of 3 Posts