Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know about the issue with the excessive heat on the inner thighs. Has anyone tried putting some heat tape on the inside of the sub frame covers?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sounds like a viable thing to do. Serves the same purpose as getting the CF covers for the sub frame/head covers.

Keep in mind that the energy has to go somewhere, so most likely the heat will get reflected back towards engine/exhaust, that energy will get convected outward via air at a hotter temperature.

I'm not quite sure what's worse:
  • Touching the hot covers
  • Hot air rising

If for you, it's touching the hot covers, try out the heat tape on the covers to redirect it elsewhere.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have gone on a couple rides since applying the heat tape. (see photo) Though it has not been very hot here I noticed a difference. Not necessarily for the best. The actual shield does seem to be a cooler, as DJ Shrug wrote, "the energy has to go somewhere.." and it did. It feel like the heat is concentrated out of the openings around the heat shield. So, its still hot!
Also something another rider mentioned and I am not sure how reliable it is but, he said if the heat stays in the engine compartment it could make the fuel actually boil. Which could cause other problems.

I will go on a few more rides to make sure but I am pretty sure I will be removing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
...if the heat stays in the engine compartment it could make the fuel actually boil.
I'd imagine that this won't ever occur since fuel is constantly being swished in the tank and cooled by the non-hot areas and that the aluminum tank itself has a high thermal conductivity, so heat added to the tank metal conducts pretty fast across the tank. Also the path for heat toward the tank is pretty limited.

Quick google search on the boiling point of gasoline however shows that "The boiling point of gasoline ranges between 104 and 392 degrees Fahrenheit." A lot lower than I thought, but there's not going to be a lot of heat into the tank to get it up to temps.

You'd literally have to let it idle stationary for >20mins for it to cause problems I would say.

While you are changing your Panigale from the intended design, generally the material of everything near any heat source is designed to take a lot higher temps than they are subject to. I would say you are fine keeping the tape if you find less thigh heat is better than hotter heat shield temps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts