Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles are you guys putting on your 959's oil before changing? The manual says 7000 miles but I usually change all my bikes at 2000 miles due to the shared clutch/transmission being a little hard on the oil. I may stretch this to 3000 miles on my 959 due to the expensive oil and filter we are required to run; but that's about as far as I would feel comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I've changed mine twice so far with around 4200 miles on the bike. My method isn't very scientific, I basically change it out once the oil reaches a certain color, or darkness. I use Motul 300V which is kind of a fluorescent green color going in.

·
Registered
192 Posts
On a related note, does one need to change oil after routine winter storage? I had my oil change at 600 miles and stored my bike for winter at 2180 on ODO. If I could do it myself, I probably would but it's an expensive affair to get it done at the shop. I don't want to do it unless it's going to hurt my bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
On a related note, does one need to change oil after routine winter storage? I had my oil change at 600 miles and stored my bike for winter at 2180 on ODO. If I could do it myself, I probably would but it's an expensive affair to get it done at the shop. I don't want to do it unless it's going to hurt my bike.

I would say it depends on the climate. In the colder climates you can get moisture in the crankcase. In this instance I would recommend changing your oil at the start of the season. You will be able to tell as you can see a white milky substance through the oil glass once the bike is started. Some guys empty their oil and put in a basic 10w 40 just for storage purposes and then replace it with their regular oil at the start of the season. IMO, that's not necessary. I usually leave the current oil in the bike for winter storage (I have a heated environment) and then depending on the condition of the current oil (how many miles on it - if there's moisture in it) I may put in fresh prior to my first ride in the spring.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would say it depends on the climate. In the colder climates you can get moisture in the crankcase. In this instance I would recommend changing your oil at the start of the season. You will be able to tell as you can see a white milky substance through the oil glass once the bike is started. Some guys empty their oil and put in a basic 10w 40 just for storage purposes and then replace it with their regular oil at the start of the season. IMO, that's not necessary. I usually leave the current oil in the bike for winter storage (I have a heated environment) and then depending on the condition of the current oil (how many miles on it - if there's moisture in it) I may put in fresh prior to my first ride in the spring.

Thanks @dougo1199. It's like I learn something new everyday on this forum :).
The dealer will keep the bike in a temperature controlled environment. I will take a call depending on how the oil looks like when I go to pick her up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am with Kruz on this one. I like to change it in the 3000 mi neighborhood. It can't hurt, and it gives me something to do and makes me feel good about it. I always like wrenching on my bikes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like to change my oil and filter in between services.
My bike is purely road use......at the moment.

Dealer,1000km
Me,5500km
Dealer,12000km
Me,18000km
Dealer,24000km

Bikes love oil and filter changes!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here is my oil change schedule I try and keep:

-Before the first ride in the spring
-Every 1000 miles after the first service interval