Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, today I finally added some miles on my brand new Panigale. Now that the weather is better the bugs are also again in the air.

I understood that the paint of the fairings and tank is not too thick sprayed with lacquer. So rubbing on flies and bugs would probably harm / scratch the paint.

I don't want to wash my bike every time I return from a ride, but I do want to remove the bugs :)

Any tips around this subject?

Appreciate it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Honda spray cleaner and polish. It's cheap and works like a charm. Got the suggestion from the forum. It cleans everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's it! Spray on microfiber towel first then wipe down the bike. No water needed. Use another clean dry microfiber towel to buff out. I was shocked how well this worked the first time I used it as the bike was a little muddy from wet roads from snow melt. Wiped right off with this stuff and I did not see any scratches.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great stuff!
Thanks mate.
Will try this as well. Wish this type of cleaner would be availble in the Netherlands. Shipping is like $7 :(

Reactions: gatesb77

·
Registered
102 Posts
Great stuff!
Thanks mate.
Will try this as well. Wish this type of cleaner would be availble in the Netherlands. Shipping is like $7 :(
You paid 20k for a bike but you dont wanna spend $15 cleaning it? :surprise:
Come on Pascal, get them Euro's outta your pocket >:)

Buy a couple (or more) at a time. They should last you a while.

·
Registered
72 Posts
@Pascal I also want to say you don't need to spray much. 1 can will last a while. But I agree with adrian7 grab multiple cans of you can. I only grabbed 1 can initially which was a mistake because this stuff really works. My next order will be for more.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are right!
And so I will order multiple can's :)
Thanks for convincing me.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Proper way to clean automotive paint finishes is with foam gun which lets the detergent sit on the contaminants and soften them up so you don't have any (minimal) abrasive movement or material on the finish. Generally the Ducati clear coats are minimal from what I've personally seen and read.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great stuff!
Thanks mate.
Or just drive to your local Dutch Honda dealer, parts dept.

·
Registered
892 Posts
So rubbing on flies and bugs would probably harm / scratch the paint.
Nah no problems, just pick them off dry with your finger, no damage. For the stubborn ones, hit it with a little sandpaper for a nice finish. /s

Serious -> look into getting your Panigale's paint coated, there's some other threads on here that detail it quite a bit. Then to clean off stuff, just don't worry too much, get one of the products listed around here, maybe let it soak, be gentle, and but most importantly, ride it more than you clean it.

Beyond that, you probably want to look at what detailing gurus do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Look into paint coatings like cquartz and opticoat. Other than that, to clean off bugs you need little more than some water and either a microfiber towel or washmitt. Spray, let sit a few minutes, gently wipe off. If you want to add a step, you can also spray some quick detailer to add shine and librication to avoid any swirls/scratches.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I use a spray bottle with a water and Dawn dish soap mixture to remove the bugs / grime, then I polish with Plexus. Same deal for my helmets.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
... then I polish with Plexus. Same deal for my helmets.
Plexus is 3-4X the cost of Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish and does the same quality job... I'd bet the Honda would win in a Consumer Reports poll...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use Wizards Quick Detailer when at home and in the shop and Honda Polish when out on rides(helmet/visor). Honda polish is easier to carry since it is in aerosol form and the Wizards is liquid and in a pump/spray bottle(note: potential leakage).

-John

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Plexus is 3-4X the cost of Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish and does the same quality job... I'd bet the Honda would win in a Consumer Reports poll...
I need to try it for sure!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I need to try it for sure!
Yes, do it. I was surprised how well it worked (tip courtesy of Dingo), now I use it also for my cars when some dirt won't come out. Great stuff, lucky that I have a Honda dealer 5 mins from my house.

Reactions: Dingo and dougo1199

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have use good old WD40 and a microfiber towel for the past 4000 miles, no problems. I also keep the thing coated in FS365 and it keeps the bike a ton cleaner, also salt off it as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The thought of wd40 touching my bike makes me cringe.

It might have multiple uses but there's definitely a superior product for any task you intend to do. Not a good cleaner, not a lubricant, basically useless IMO.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
The thought of wd40 touching my bike makes me cringe.

It might have multiple uses but there's definitely a superior product for any task you intend to do. Not a good cleaner, not a lubricant, basically useless IMO.

^This.

There are valid, non-superficial, mechanical applications but even then I usually go for Thrust as my preferred penetrant over old blue.

Must be fun to look through your windscreen at 120...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts