Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I flushed and replaced Brake & clutch Fluid on my bike with Motul 600, took the left side fairing off just to be safe and also to inspect small sprocket and I noticed that I have heavy black oil stains on the motor? Could it be this somewhat normal or do I have to do a warranty claim at the dealer? What are your thoughts im at 6500 miles & a few months back I did notice oil level went down a bit, but I was also riding the bike hard on curvy roads so I just put a little more oil so the level is between the lines on the sight glass.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
are you sure you didn't over fill when you put more in? In order for your level to have reduced, the engine must be burning it or leaking from somewhere. A leak would be consistent.

·
Registered
892 Posts
are you sure you didn't over fill when you put more in?
Yeah, how are you checking the level @Vicati? With the bike upright or on the sidestand?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Upright I checked it when I was doing spirited riding with friends, and now I see that black gunk a month later lol makes me think I have or had a leak... I have it on venom motorcycle spool stands atm, but I can report they are great for lifting wheels completely off ground but the front is slightly lower so oil level in not level on sight glass, but atm my oil is slightly lower I’m going to put in more 300v here soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
If I were you I would take off the side fairings, lift the tank and inspect the engine for leaks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The oil stains on the left side look very similar to what I had before I totalled mine. It was coming from that black seal with the yellow wires coming out of it. I washed it all off with degreaser and it would come back pretty quick, but it was never enough to notice a change in the oil level. My seal looked visibly 'unseated' on the side facing the motor but I never got a chance to take the engine cover off and mess with it.

Reactions: Vicati

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I had a slow leaking head gasket on my Monster. If this is the case, it's an easy fix for your dealer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a slow leaking head gasket on my Monster. If this is the case, it's an easy fix for your dealer.
Panigale front headgasket is labor-intensive--the motor comes out of the frame. Mine never leaked onto the sidecases, just the front valve cover and starter area, assuming from wind blowing the oil around. I had the dealer replace the headgasket under warranty around 55,000 miles and then I spent that winter tearing the bike down and cleaning everything you normally can't get to.

I made a thread on this over on the 899 forum - https://www.899panigale.org/forum/d...mile-service-headgasket-replacement-pics.html

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
@XCLR8TN
Fortunately for me, the gasket was the rear.

Reactions: XCLR8TN

·
Registered
208 Posts
Panigale front headgasket is labor-intensive--the motor comes out of the frame. Mine never leaked onto the sidecases, just the front valve cover and starter area, assuming from wind blowing the oil around. I had the dealer replace the headgasket under warranty around 55,000 miles and then I spent that winter tearing the bike down and cleaning everything you normally can't get to.

I made a thread on this over on the 899 forum - https://www.899panigale.org/forum/d...mile-service-headgasket-replacement-pics.html
Hate to hear that your bike died. At least you are ok and plan to continue riding.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

55k miles on 899 is impressive makes me wonder how many more these bikes could handle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know how tight the rear Sprocket nuts should be all five or 6 where super loose on mine. Kinda alarming.

·
Registered
126 Posts
55k miles on 899 is impressive makes me wonder how many more these bikes could handle.

Does anyone know how tight the rear Sprocket nuts should be all five or 6 where super loose on mine. Kinda alarming.
Mine had 83k when I totalled it. 32.5 ft/lbs for rear sprocket nuts - with loctite

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sadly my 959 started leaking after almost 2 years and 10k km. The dealer here in NZ told me it's because the engine is also the frame and twisting forces over time will cause leaks from the head gaskets. After roughly two months of waiting, they replaced the head gaskets, but not even two weeks later and it's leaking again from the rear cylinder. There's oil pooling where the rear cylinder meets the clutch/transmission case. It will be another week or two before I can take it back. Has anyone had similar experiences where new head gaskets didn't fix the oil leak? Cheers,

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Sadly my 959 started leaking after almost 2 years and 10k km. The dealer here in NZ told me it's because the engine is also the frame and twisting forces over time will cause leaks from the head gaskets. After roughly two months of waiting, they replaced the head gaskets, but not even two weeks later and it's leaking again from the rear cylinder. There's oil pooling where the rear cylinder meets the clutch/transmission case. It will be another week or two before I can take it back. Has anyone had similar experiences where new head gaskets didn't fix the oil leak? Cheers,
Wow, that sucks. It sounds like they didn't do a stand-up job on the fix, or they diagnosed it wrong from the start...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts