Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I recently got a 959 Corsa after coming off of a 939 SuperSport S and then previously 748 and other various Ducatis. Today I had a custom fitting for my levers, gearshift, foot pegs, bar mounted controls and my SUSPENSION. Once all that was done my motorcycle became so much more responsive to me and so much more comfortable to ride, it’s literally like two different motorcycles. The reason why I put that height and weight in the title is because after speaking to multiple Ducati mechanics over the years they always say one thing. Ducatis are great machines but to truly make them superior you have to make them fit you. I never listened and I always just did a few nips and tucks to make them feel more comfortable. But as I thought about it, at my size I can never go to the store and buy anything that fits me without having it tailored in some way. That being said I got the platinum package fitting today. And not only did it make the bike more comfortable it made me and the machine become so much more seamless that I took the twisties like I never took them before and I had a different level of confidence trying to tame the savage beast that we call the Panigale. So all of the thousands of dollars I’ve ever spent on mods to every Ducati that I’ve ever owned- this by far was the best $200 that I’ve ever spent to have a more enjoyable riding experience. So to all the smaller AND bigger frame guys, these motorcycles were made for a 5’10 170 lb person for all practical purposes so go get your bike fit for you and It will make all the difference in the world !!

Reactions: Dingo

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm totally onside with you up until suspension.
What did you do to suspension?

·
Registered
892 Posts
...this by far was the best $200 that I’ve ever spent to have a more enjoyable riding experience.
This sounds like a setting modification and not an actual spring rate change of the suspension components. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm totally onside with you up until suspension.
What did you do to suspension?

Sorry took me so long for reply if you don’t have your SAG set appropriately the motorcycle doesn’t ride as well and doesn’t respond as well so for a lighter guy if you have just stock suspension settings including the SAG then the bike doesn’t respond as well. Even something as simple as riding position with me only weighing 140 pounds when I would sit on the bike The rear suspension would not give it all. Therefore I found myself sliding forward a lot more than on my other bikes which made the riding position and dynamics less comfortable. It’s just another part of customizing your ride experience and your suspension actually maybe set perfect for you stock but I wouldn’t bet on it as they are adjustable for a reason and not just due to riding conditions. Suspension is also adjustable because of different riding styles and the riders height and weight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hey brother. it did not include that spring but it wasn’t just $200 for suspension only it was levers gear shifter and many other fine adjustments. It took around an hour and a half but I’m not totally ruling out buying one of those springs for sure Thanks for the info because they did tell me that I was at the limits of my spring

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hmm, I'd say you got ripped off. 200$ for settings modification is insane, since there's suspension tuners that will do it for less than <50$. It seems like 200$ would be worth it if they swapped springs for you (ie. labor cost) but they told you that you are too light for your springs so it doesn't seem like that was done.

What did your sag numbers come out to be? Also (I hesitantly ask this, cause it doesn't seem like you are too knowledgeable about it), were these settings modified with you on the bike, geared?

In any case, at least document what your settings are so you can revert to your tuned settings if anything happens to them (eg. servicing and the shop resets them or something). An expensive lesson, but in the end, enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, I'd say you got ripped off. 200$ for settings modification is insane, since there's suspension tuners that will do it for less than <50$. It seems like 200$ would be worth it if they swapped springs for you (ie. labor cost) but they told you that you are too light for your springs so it doesn't seem like that was done.

What did your sag numbers come out to be? Also (I hesitantly ask this, cause it doesn't seem like you are too knowledgeable about it), were these settings modified with you on the bike, geared?

In any case, at least document what your settings are so you can revert to your tuned settings if anything happens to them (eg. servicing and the shop resets them or something). An expensive lesson, but in the end, enjoy the new ride!

As I mentioned this was done at the Ducati dealer so everything’s gonna be more expensive. The sag settings were set with me fully geared also rebound dampening among other things and I would test ride to feel the difference and come back in a few min and make the settings more exact. I don’t know which model you have but note that I have the Corse edition with the Ohlins suspension. I also mentioned the suspension setting was a part of the other adjustments meaning brakes clutch handlebar controls adjustment of the clip ons removal of the pegs on the controls to adjust them, shift lever etc. it was a CUSTOM fitting so All in all it took around 3 hours and $200 is cheaper than 3 hours at their rate. The post was not about the money, the post with about service so if you can find a service to do it cheaper then you should, my point is that you need to get it done to enjoy your bike more.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
592 Posts
As I mentioned this was done at the Ducati dealer so everything’s gonna be more expensive. The sag settings were set with me fully geared also rebound dampening among other things and I would test ride to feel the difference and come back in a few min and make the settings more exact. I don’t know which model you have but note that I have the Corse edition with the Ohlins suspension. I also mentioned the suspension setting was a part of the other adjustments meaning brakes clutch handlebar controls adjustment of the clip ons removal of the pegs on the controls to adjust them, shift lever etc. it was a CUSTOM fitting so All in all it took around 3 hours and $200 is cheaper than 3 hours at their rate. The post was not about the money, the post with about service so if you can find a service to do it cheaper then you should, my point is that you need to get it done to enjoy your bike more.
I agree 100% that you need to get the bike fit your your weight and proportions. The old comparison to adjusting the seat and steering wheel in a car is a good one.

I replaced my rearsets and adjusted them to 6 different positions for many rides each until I found what works best for me. I also invested in the race seat which changes ergonomics and grip. Tank pads as well. Finally, adjusting the angle of the brake and clutch levers made a world of difference to the wrists.

Suspension adjustments were also done by myself until I finally found as good as I can get them for me settings.

This can all be done by oneself, but if not inclined, a dealer or the like should be used.

The bike should not be taken off the dealer floor without some adjustments to make it fit better. Good points.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Wrist pain from an extended right wrist bearing load under braking is a common complaint with this bike. Sometimes you can get relief by dropping the brake lever to encourage wrist flexion ( into a proper straight alignment of wrist to forearm ) as you roll off throttle and go to the brakes.

The brake and clutch lever locating pins on your handle bar clip-on can be removed by gripping them with a pair of vice grips and rotating them back and forth while pulling them out.

You can then rotate the levers to a more comfortable position.

Just make sure you do not put too much strain on the hydraulic lines when repositioning the lever, and that the reservoirs do not contact anything through full range of the bars turning. If the hydraulic lines seem strained, you can loosen and realign the banjo joint.

Here is a pic of the locating pin removed, attached.

I was educated about this pin removal from the following thread and have removed the pin from my brake side clip on.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/415314-clutch-brake-lever-anti-rotation-pin-removal.html

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts