Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 959 Panigale with almost 10K miles. For whatever reason, during this last riding season, it seems that the bike would not recognize the key and did not start many times. Mostly it was after a gas stop but at least once it was at the start of the day. After turning the bike off and back on, it would eventually start. I got a "Damaged key" error code. My dealer checked the antenna and it was fine. He had me hold one key down the fork while the second key was in the ignition before pressing the start button. That seemed to work somewhat reliably for the later part of the season until it didn't and I wasted two hours cycling through the start up routine waiting seven to fifteen minutes between attempts. A second dealer talked me into cutting two new keys and programming the bike for them. But I'm not sure this is really going to be the end of my issue. He says the next step is a new lock set.
Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

SKR

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I'm not up to speed on exactly how the key interacts with the ECU. I would imagine if the key fits the tumbler and you can turn it, the bike would start. It's mechanical. SO what exactly is this "Damaged Key" error - and what Exactly does it pertain to? Because if it's not the physical key that fits into the tumbler that will turn without issue, it has to be software - in which case you don't need new keys. I would think...?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts