Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start a thread to share some ignition problems I am currently having. A bit if strange one but here we go.

I go to turn the key and the speedo starts up its boot up process then it starts to flicker on and off and eventually just dies. The Immobiliser light is flashing out of sequence with the screen.

Took all the front fairings off as I thought to myself surely I have a loose connection somewhere. Checked out all ok, nothing odd looking at all. Tried the ignition again this time it all worked as it should started the engine with no problems and was idling perfect for around 5mins.

Power on and off to the ignition a few more times to double check it's all good. Still working fine at this point. Tried it again 10mins later and it was back to the speedo barely powering up. The multi pin plug at the back of the speedo is in perfect condition.

The battery is only a few months old and has been on a optimate maintenance charger ever since new. The fact the bike started up really good at one point also suggests no problem with it. 13.5v and no load drop when turning the key.

Starting to wonder if I have a problem with the ignition switch unit?

I had a new speedo fitted by my local dealer at the tail end of summer last year due to the screen developing the micro cracks in the plastic. Could his be related?... I think it's a long shot but still a possibility.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from my local Ducati dealer and see what they say. Let's hope it's an easy fix!

I have taken a video of it but currently just got it as a private link on youtube. Quite happy to share it with guys, when I find out the cause etc I will report back.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Sounds like a ghost in the machine - the hardest to solve. An intermittent issue is painful to find the cause of. The good thing is the Ducati dealer is on it, they should know the wiring inside and out and can point you in the direction of the faulty connection.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Mate,
Well how many miles are on it and when did it start doing it? Will it run fine one day and Do this the next?
Does the bike actually start and run?
what Type of battery is in it?

I can only guess but so far I’m thinking
Improper ground, or short somewhere.
2 Battery is faulty some how.
3 software glitch but unlikely.
4 check that head unit as I think it’s related.
5 when you turn it on in the video the clicking starts and screen goes down when the fuel pump usually starts pulling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts