Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking a little as I am preparing to pick up a 959, my first Duc, by the end of the year. I currently ride an 06 R6 and 15 FZ09. I am still contemplating whether to keep the R6 or not when I get the 959 but I am leaning towards getting rid of it and picking up a plated dirt bike for the winter.

You likely see me posting asking some questions over the next few months as I prepare for the dark side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Been lurking a little as I am preparing to pick up a 959, my first Duc, by the end of the year. I currently ride an 06 R6 and 15 FZ09. I am still contemplating whether to keep the R6 or not when I get the 959 but I am leaning towards getting rid of it and picking up a plated dirt bike for the winter.

You likely see me posting asking some questions over the next few months as I prepare for the dark side

Welcome to the dark side! You'll love it! :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome! How'd you like the FZ-09? I really want to get one if I can score a deal.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Make sure you come to the "light" side and get a Arctic White Silk 959.

(*cough)TrackonlyR6(*cough)

Reactions: DarR and PAN959

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was always a Ducati hater(hence dark side) for some reason but the Panigale has really spoke to me jaja. I will be getting the white

The R6 has some sentimental value but I will likely sell it regardless and pick up a dirt bike. I have considered track only but at this point I am too busy with work it doesn't make much sense.

The FZ is great! The suspension gets a lot of hate but I save the knee dragging for the track and I think the FZ is quite decent on the street. For me it's more of a commuter(when weather permits) and long ride bike but an occasional rip it handles pretty well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Toss the R6!!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong I loved the crap out of my 09 Raven, and was a little nervous that I would miss its nimble and outstanding handling characteristics. BOY WAS I WRONG!!!!!! The 959 handles like its on rails in comparison to the r6, dropping into the corner really fills you with confidence and I can flip the thing over way better then I ever could the r6. So if you wanna keep it as a track bike maybe, but you wont miss it as another bike when you have the 959 sitting next to it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Toss the R6!!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong I loved the crap out of my 09 Raven, and was a little nervous that I would miss its nimble and outstanding handling characteristics. BOY WAS I WRONG!!!!!! The 959 handles like its on rails in comparison to the r6, dropping into the corner really fills you with confidence and I can flip the thing over way better then I ever could the r6. So if you wanna keep it as a track bike maybe, but you wont miss it as another bike when you have the 959 sitting next to it.

Interesting... did you have the suspension tuned professionally? No offense just trying to get a point of reference. I'm hoping you're right because I can hardly imagine something handling better than my R6... what's weird is my wife is trying to get me to keep it... never thought she'd talk me into keeping a bike... my thinking too is I can get the Duc this winter and wait till the spring to sell the 6 to get max $.

On another note can anyone tell me the difference in position of woodcrafts on the 959? From looking at picks it looks like it raises the feet slightly but hard to tell. I will be setting it up gp shift and I think woodcraft is the route to take for my preferences.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nope, wasn't tuned or adjusted at all. I mean it was my first bike so there's that... but hopping on the 959 I had a ton more confidence in the corner and I definitely feel like I can "throw" the 959 around a lot more.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, wasn't tuned or adjusted at all. I mean it was my first bike so there's that... but hopping on the 959 I had a ton more confidence in the corner and I definitely feel like I can "throw" the 959 around a lot more.

Get that suspension tuned! Even if you have to google just have a buddy help. Sport, that was a bit of a side note jaja

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Was planning to wait till December but 0% financing and <$15 OTD I couldn't walk away. I'm 400 miles from home for the weekend and bought it here so it should arrive in about a week for me to pickup.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Get that suspension tuned! Even if you have to google just have a buddy help. Sport, that was a bit of a side note jaja

+1. Had my R6 suspension overhauled and tuned by an outfit here who really know what they're doing and it transformed the bike at the track!

That said, had my first track day yesterday and the 959 is a big step up overall and I'm not missing my R6 (other than sentimentally).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
+1. Had my R6 suspension overhauled and tuned by an outfit here who really know what they're doing and it transformed the bike at the track!

That said, had my first track day yesterday and the 959 is a big step up overall and I'm not missing my R6 (other than sentimentally).

Thank you! I did a quick demo ride in the wet, found the traction control in sport mode, little sketch. Hard to really know how I felt. I told him I wasn't wanting to buy until December so he'd have to make me do it... he did! Can't wait to get it on the track and lay it over. It feels taller and like it doesn't want to fall in like the 6 but I am trusting all the reviews that it is super stable leaned over.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank you! I did a quick demo ride in the wet, found the traction control in sport mode, little sketch. Hard to really know how I felt. I told him I wasn't wanting to buy until December so he'd have to make me do it... he did! Can't wait to get it on the track and lay it over. It feels taller and like it doesn't want to fall in like the 6 but I am trusting all the reviews that it is super stable leaned over.
Sounds like you got a good deal. I'm confident you won't be disappointed. You may need to spend a little time getting the suspension just right for you but once you do, the 959 is epic!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like you got a good deal. I'm confident you won't be disappointed. You may need to spend a little time getting the suspension just right for you but once you do, the 959 is epic!

Plan is to get to a track day in the spring to
a. Get to know the bike and
b. Get the suspension dialed in.

Buying a bike this time of year sucks tho because the wait is going to be very difficult. I will of course get it out as much as possible!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Congrats on the new 959!

Buying a bike this time of year sucks tho because the wait is going to be very difficult.
For me, the pain of owning one now in a cold-climate area is especially bad. I take it out as much as I can, but its coming to consistent 30-60 degF temps here.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats on the new 959!

For me, the pain of owning one now in a cold-climate area is especially bad. I take it out as much as I can, but its coming to consistent 30-60 degF temps here.

My problem is that this is a fun bike and with a 50 mile commute I will nearly never commute it. Getting home at dark my only opportunities are weekends and wet rides are no fun!

Need to get the thing in the garage first then at least it will be there should I have the opportunity!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts