Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I had some posts around this time last year about picking up a 959 Panigale. I had decided to forego the idea, but I'm considering it once again since I don't have my 14' 675 Triumph Daytona anymore (totaled late last year).

I'm wondering what some of you folks are paying these days for a new 959 in Artic White, essentially an "out the door" price?

On a separate note, what's your alls thoughts on whether or not Ducati will eliminate the L-Twin Engine in their Panigale line of motos; I know the 1299 is going bye bye. Will the 959s return in 2019?

Thanks,
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
@gomeybear
The only reason why Ducati has gone V4 for the big boy is to compete in SBK2019 and MotoGP.
Otherwise, most Ducati owners want twins. Ducati knows this very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your posts aren't inspiring me to make a move into the ducati market. Reliability is a large concern of mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Your posts aren't inspiring me to make a move into the ducati market. Reliability is a large concern of mine.
Try and find a source for objective statistics on reliability.

This forum is a place where people come to post problems and vent frustrations, so you can get a biased picture. The forum does help you learn about common problems, but all bikes have common problems.

The question is what are the objective rates of failure.

I was warned to avoid Ducati from a local mechanic I use. He warned me, I ignored him, and I had 2 warranty claims within the first 1000 miles on major failure issues. Coolant pump and brake issues. Major downtime. My mechanic was not shy to tell me he told me so.

Now that the bike is running well, I am enjoying it very much. Would I buy it again? Not so sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Your posts aren't inspiring me to make a move into the ducati market. Reliability is a large concern of mine.
You are rarely going to hear from all the owners that are satisfied or overly satisfied, but rather about complainers who are upset about either the brand or the way they are treated by their dealer.

I have a 2014 899 and am quite content with my history of ownership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
I'm very satisfied so far about both ducati's I currently ride.
I've had a few small issues such as leaking fork seal (d*mn Japanese forks), a knick on the swingarm cause by the heal guard being installed upside-down and now a Brembo brake recall.
It's all good in my opinion. Most fun bikes I've even owned.

The Pani is such a great handling bike and the looks I get....
Give the Monster a bit of a twist in 2nd which can only be described as an uplifting experience....what a hoot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,932 Posts
A 1% failure rate of 5000 total = 50 that are lemons for one reason or another. Call them whatever you want: motorcycles, parts, chips... every product made has a percentage of failure from manufacture. Ducati, like other small-run manufacturers, tries to make that number 0.5% by making less of them and overseeing the build process by hand. The other way is to make quality products to use or source them for use.
I think that's roughly 80% of the equation, what I stated above. The remaining 20% is the quality of mechanic finalizing the build and doing the maintenance checks. With a poor mechanic that 1% failure rate turns into 2, 3 or 5% over time. I've been blessed to have great mechanics who have my safety as their #1 concern, which in turn makes them actually do the torque checks on every bolt during a service, etc... Your mileage may vary.
I've had no issues with my Ducati that I bought brand new from the dealer with 4 pre-sale maintenance check miles on it. Over 6500 miles now and 3 track events.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
I mean I want Ducati to do well and sell a lot of bikes, but for the people that have some isolated bad experiences then take to the forums to crusade against the brand, I say.... See yeah later. Sell your bike, get back on a i4 and just go as fast as you can in a straight line. The benefits of owning/riding a Ducati are not for everyone and that is totally fine.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top