Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Installed my smartphone on the bike today with the Quadlock system. Was looking for something not to bulky, as I find that the Ram mount solution comes a little to far up from the stem/handlebar. Some pics to give you some an idea:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi,

Installed my smartphone on the bike today with the Quadlock system. Was looking for something not to bulky, as I find that the Ram mount solution comes a little to far up from the stem/handlebar. Some pics to give you some an idea:
nice! i like this. question... does that silver piece with the bolt expand inside the fork clamp hole then?

Also does the Quad Lock Wall Mount bolt to the carbon fiber piece? or do you just have it stuck on there. Or Both?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Can you link to where you purchased it? I looked at their site, but didn't see a set-up like that.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Very nice creative but simple solution!

Is that a piece of black acrylic/plastic that you cut and wrapped with something like 3M CF Vinyl?

How resilient is the Quadlock component to direct bumps (ie. smacking it with your hand/elbow) and just general bumps from the road while riding?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice! i like this. question... does that silver piece with the bolt expand inside the fork clamp hole then?

Also does the Quad Lock Wall Mount bolt to the carbon fiber piece? or do you just have it stuck on there. Or Both?
I drilled a hole in the plate and bolt it on, did not use the the double sided tape, left the protection on. No use as the carbon fiber is a sticker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice creative but simple solution!

Is that a piece of black acrylic/plastic that you cut and wrapped with something like 3M CF Vinyl?

How resilient is the Quadlock component to direct bumps (ie. smacking it with your hand/elbow) and just general bumps from the road while riding?
Don't know how its called, got it from my neighbour :grin2: Will ask him if he knows the exact name.
I turned by accident on a typical Belgian paved road, (the Paris-Rouxbais classic like roads, for the cyclist amongst you ) so everything got a good shake, I returned home and still had my phone :wink2:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
@JP-Ducatelli - its a typical Toggle Bolt - get at your local hardware store for those that aren't aware

so you have a phone case that accepts the Quad Lock you linked to... which case do you have that locks into the Quad Lock?

EDIT - I went thru the Quad Lock site and found the cases they offer... the Poncho looks like it's worth the investment

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nice solution! I hate phone cases so I went with ram but if I could tolerate a phone case I'd do this. Fwiw to others I did something similar with a ram ball but instead of the toggle anchor I used a spare aluminum expand nut from an old bar end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Guys,
In my humble opinion, if you need your phone as a phone, keep it in your pocket and buy a cheap set of blue-tooth ear piece on Ali-Express. However, if you need your phone as a Nav, just buy a cheap GPS and Ram Mount it. Either way, your $500 phone is protected by being in your pocket.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Guys,
In my humble opinion, if you need your phone as a phone, keep it in your pocket and buy a cheap set of blue-tooth ear piece on Ali-Express. However, if you need your phone as a Nav, just buy a cheap GPS and Ram Mount it. Either way, your $500 phone is protected by being in your pocket.

Different strokes situation... when I commute I use waze, listen to music and answer a call occasionally. I like to see waze so I see the posted police ahead. I like having my phone visible for music changes. I don't answer all calls but certain people know I ride and only call if it is important in which case I answer. All of this with a SENA.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
@nband
NP. I can appreciate that.
But r u commuting on a Panigale???

·
Registered
131 Posts
@nband
NP. I can appreciate that.
But r u commuting on a Panigale???

Short answer no.

Long answer, I didn't want to have such a long post but my reason to have my phone on my Panigale is mostly for music. It's not totally necessarily but I am used to having my phone mounted. If I did not already have the 20s and ram mounts I don't know that I would have mounted it. If I'm honest part of it is that I want to know if I miss a call from work... it causes me more anxiety wondering if someone is trying to get ahold of me than anything else. I don't get contacted from work often but if I do it usually very serious. This may not be healthy but it calms me jaja

I should note the reason I posted about commuting is I've seen a surprising number of people on this forum insinuating they commute their 959 making it relevant.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
@nband
I also have to admit that I like knowing that I'm receiving a call as my Garmin will let me know although I can't talk as I don't have a mic nor do I want one.
As for people commuting on a bike: the Panigale is the worst choice for this purpose. It's uncomfortable, has a poor turning radius, mirrors are practically for cosmetic reasons, no storage space and it's un-maneuverable and bloody hot at slow speed. Then these same pudknockers complain that it's hot when the real problem is that they bought the wrong bike for their needs. The Panigale is an R/T bike. It's purpose is to use it on the road in fast aggressive twisties or the track: a task which it does magnificently. For slower riding enjoyment, I bought a Monster which BTW is not a good commuter either but I don't commute. Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If there's a bike in the Ducati line-up that does it all it's the MultiStrada. It's comfortable, handles with the best of them and very fast. You can even track this beast. It's expensive however. The new 939 Supersport looks promising as a reasonably priced all-rounder.

Reactions: nband

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
@nband
I also have to admit that I like knowing that I'm receiving a call as my Garmin will let me know although I can't talk as I don't have a mic nor do I want one.
As for people commuting on a bike: the Panigale is the worst choice for this purpose. It's uncomfortable, has a poor turning radius, mirrors are practically for cosmetic reasons, no storage space and it's un-maneuverable and bloody hot at slow speed. Then these same pudknockers complain that it's hot when the real problem is that they bought the wrong bike for their needs. The Panigale is an R/T bike. It's purpose is to use it on the road in fast aggressive twisties or the track: a task which it does magnificently. For slower riding enjoyment, I bought a Monster which BTW is not a good commuter either but I don't commute. Sorry for the rant.
I do everything on my 959 (and do not complain about heat).
Track
Long multi day trips
Day trips with other bikes on Twisties
Commute (when weather cooperates)
On a few day trips with friends, have went on dirt and gravel roads

I definitely don't search out gravel roads. But I have taken the 959 on stretches of dirt/gravel for 5 miles or so when our route took us there. Of course slowly. I have 10 track days and over 9,000 miles on it now. I just love taking it wherever I'm going.

But I understand that it is made for the track and don't ***** about it not performing as a different type of bike.

For commuting (and overnight trips), I love the kriega backpack.

Rant over.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I do everything on my 959 (and do not complain about heat).
Track
Long multi day trips
Day trips with other bikes on Twisties
Commute (when weather cooperates)
On a few day trips with friends, have went on dirt and gravel roads

I definitely don't search out gravel roads. But I have taken the 959 on stretches of dirt/gravel for 5 miles or so when our route took us there. Of course slowly. I have 10 track days and over 9,000 miles on it now. I just love taking it wherever I'm going. But I understand that it is made for the track and don't ***** about it not performing as a different type of bike.

For commuting (and overnight trips), I love the kriega backpack.

Rant over.
Here, Here. I've put in a 6 hour day on my Pani and loved it. The bike is awesome but I recognize that it's not made for slow speed which should have been apparent to anyone looking at it in the showroom floor. P.S. I too have been to a friends cottage on a dirt road but that's a outlier scenario.

·
Registered
119 Posts
@nband
No offense bud, but telling someone how they should use/ride their bike is kind of insulting. If this were a thread about commuting on a Panigale, I would understand. It's not though.

My bike is not my primary source of transportation and I'm guessing anyone on a new Ducati is in the same boat. When it's a nice Friday and I'm not in a suit, I'll ride to the office. Is it warm, sure. I'm not complaining about it though.

Reactions: adrian7

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
@TVGuy
The conversation did slant towards commuting a bit but I was not suggesting to anyone how to use their bike other than stating the Panigale's indented purpose. Notwithstanding, anytime the words: "Panigale and Commuting are mentioned together it strikes me as a contradiction in terms (especially with heat and complaining found in other threads) which could have been avoided with some due diligence. Apologies to anyone offended.

Reactions: avigil
1 - 20 of 31 Posts