Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me in advance if this is a major newbie question, but I've only recently started doing my own tire swaps on my 959. After removing the rear wheel, I noticed the sprocket was moving on the wheel. I was able to wobble it side to side easily by hand. With very little effort, it popped right out of the wheel. I'm talking about the sprocket and the piece the sprocket is bolted to. From the look of it, that's the way it's supposed to be but I'd like to hear(read) it from someone who definitely knows.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Forgive me in advance if this is a major newbie question, but I've only recently started doing my own tire swaps on my 959. After removing the rear wheel, I noticed the sprocket was moving on the wheel. I was able to wobble it side to side easily by hand. With very little effort, it popped right out of the wheel. I'm talking about the sprocket and the piece the sprocket is bolted to. From the look of it, that's the way it's supposed to be but I'd like to hear(read) it from someone who definitely knows.
Normal, the sprocket carrier to which the sprocket is bolted, should slide right out of the holes in the wheel hub. The rubber cush drive inserts may or may not slide out with the sprocket carrier. Just make sure they are accounted for. Some may slide out, some may not.

Make sure you do remove the sprocket carrier assembly when you remove the wheel if you are changing the tires because it will likely just slip out on its own when you turn the wheel on it's side, and fall.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Normal, the sprocket carrier to which the sprocket is bolted, should slide right out of the holes in the wheel hub. The rubber cush drive inserts may or may not slide out with the sprocket carrier. Just make sure they are accounted for. Some may slide out, some may not.

Make sure you do remove the sprocket carrier assembly when you remove the wheel if you are changing the tires because it will likely just slip out on its own when you turn the wheel on it's side, and fall.
The rubber inserts are glued to the outer steel sleeve around them. They shouldn't come out at all. Once the rubber starts to deteriorate, it is possible for the the inner steel sleeve to come loose and fall inside the wheel. Ask me how I know lol. They are a massive PITA to replace!

But yes, the sprocket is bolted to the sprocket carrier, and that should slide out of the wheel. I usually lube the pins on the carrier that goes into the bushings on the wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts