Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In regards another thread I started in regards to hard start and ocational no start issues. Bike is currently at dealer 6 days after picking up brand new.

Call from dealer explaining they have received a release statement from Ducati, they believe this has gone to all Ducati dealers in Aus.

It states; that at this time Ducati know of an issue affecting a number of ducati 959s causing hard start issues. They are currently working on a solution to fix the issue but at this stage DO NOT have a solution. They go on to apologise for the inconvenience and that a SHORT TERM FIX may be to avoid filling the bikes fuel tank to capacity.

The dealer let slip that Ducati believe the issue is with the charcoal canister (which plagued US 899s with issues). The file tank vapours are fed into the canister and then used to start the engine the next time. This is installed on the bike due to strict Californian emissions laws (apparently we get the same bike here in Aus too). The canister is holding the vapours but they are too rich so when the bike attempts to turn over next the engine is evidently being flooded.

The dealer will remove the canister if I request it in writing (Ducati is telling them not to remove the canister for customers). Stating that I understand the dealership will not be held responsible for any subsequent issue caused by removing said canister.

Sorry for the long read.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
yeah... I was gonna say in your other thread that it's probably a vapor lock issue of some sort... guess I had a piece of the puzzle

I wonder if it'll start if you had a can of air and sprayed it into the vapor hole in the top of the tank

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
This may explain why I have not had the issue, I always keep my tank at about 1/2 to 3/4 full. Thanks for sharing this information.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had this happen when I'm full, half full,near empty and everything between. Also, I've had my charcoal canister removed - no dice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Same here. Yesterday after work ready to ride home and difficult starting. After two tries I let it rest for about 30 seconds. It usually fires up reluctantly after that with a quick blip of throttle once it fires. Tank was half full.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had this happen when I'm full, half full,near empty and everything between. Also, I've had my charcoal canister removed - no dice.
Having my the same issue..

Twice now and normally after a long ride. I road 200km Friday and road again today. Took me 5 tries to start it and it finally did. I recorded it but not sure how to attach it (on my iPad).

My tank was filled Friday night. I road another 40km home so it wasn't full when I parked it. Sure makes you feel like you have a unreliable machine.

My espresso machine is similar.... When it works it works great, but when it's having a bad day I'm off to the coffee shop..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to pull the charcoal canister out and re route the tubing me self. No issue as yet. Fingers crossed it stays that way. No engine light either, definitely smell more file vapour so I guess that canister does it job well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was working fine for 2 days after canister removal. This morning back to square one - engine won't turn over at all. Let's hope Ducatis fix isn't far away.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just a random thought out there, for the people that have this issue, do you use ethanol free gas?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Using 91 or 94 always....

Today the bike started up perfect and had been sitting for a couple of days. Same as before when it gave me trouble. There is a connection with filling I think. But I won't know until my next fill up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Using 91 or 94 always....

Today the bike started up perfect and had been sitting for a couple of days. Same as before when it gave me trouble. There is a connection with filling I think. But I won't know until my next fill up.
Here in Ontario, we have three major players, shell, Petro, and Esso. Shell offers 91 (ethanol free), Petro offers 94 (up to 10% ethanol), and Esso offers 93 (up to 10% ethanol). I only use shell and i haven't really encountered this problem at all.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I'm lucky if I ride my bike 2 days a week and it starts right up every time using method described previously

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone heard anything new on this issue?

The last two days I've had issues starting the bike.

I've now had issues with a full tank, half full, and almost empty.

I've tried the reset (take out the key) trick and it makes no difference.

I've tried sitting on the bike vs it being on the stand - no difference

I've talked nicely to it - no difference.

I've called the dealer - no difference.

It always starts eventually, but I've now had 3 times where I really had to try the start 6-10 times. Yesterday was one of those days and then this morning it was three tries.

I have my first service scheduled for the 25th. But I have no confidence in the dealer to even look for an issue. They will have no issue starting it since I'll have just driven it an hour to get to the appointment.

thanks
Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
I thought I was fortunate to not have this issue... Well today for the first time it didn't start the 1st three attempts.. I waited about 30 sec, turned the key off and back on, let it cycle and on the 4th attempt it started.

The bike was sitting for about a week and the last time I rode it I filled it up right before returning to putting it away.

Has anyone tried starting the bike with the gas tank open or at least open it, and then close it again?

Hopefully there is a permanent fix soon but this was only the first time it happened for me. BTW, I'm in New York City.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Try this - it's worked for me everytime so far. Attempt to start the bike as normal if it doesn't start 1st go turn off the bike using the key and wait around 90 seconds at about 75 second mark you'll hear a tick. At this point try to start it up again - fingers crossed. If you keep trying to start it, it seems to flood the engine, same thing if trying to blip the throttle (what a duc tech told me).

I know it seems way to simple but it's worked every single time for me so far - also this fix is accredited to someone from this forum (when I find there name I'll edit this)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts